PDA

View Full Version : Nestor Falls

flambeauman
05-23-2007, 06:20 AM
I'm booked for the end of June through the July 4th weekend at Red Deer Lodge on the far east end of Sabaskong bay. I'm hoping I didn't put myself too far from the esox action.
I'm a little concerned about being too close to the hwy. and boat pressure.
Can anyone put my mind to ease or give me suggestions about that end of the bay?
Thanks a ton!
-flambeauman

Jay SBMC
05-23-2007, 07:46 AM
>I'm booked for the end of June through the July 4th weekend
>at Red Deer Lodge on the far east end of Sabaskong bay. I'm
>hoping I didn't put myself too far from the esox action.
>I'm a little concerned about being too close to the hwy. and
>boat pressure.
>Can anyone put my mind to ease or give me suggestions about
>that end of the bay?
>Thanks a ton!
>-flambeauman
Craig,I've fished Nestor for years,and we've pulled some real nice Muskies from within a mile of the falls.Pressure is usually very minimal from Musky fishermen,plus there are so many places to fish that it is really not a concern.We'll be up there from around 6/29 thru 7/14,staying at Helliars,and drinking out of Greens.You want to get together to talk shop let me know.

flambeauman
05-23-2007, 08:21 AM
Thanks a heap Jay for putting my mind to ease on that.
It took me a while to talk my wife into switching resorts after years of fishing the Ignace area for walleyes. Hopefully I can find a couple walleyes to eat or I'm in deeep trouble cuz she
loves a shore lunch.
Sounds great on hookin' up to chat about muskys.
I'll post again just prior to my departure to firm up a time.
BTW, if your ever in northern wi. look me up cuz I live on a smokin' musky lake that gets
minimal pressure.
Thanks again!
-Craig

Jay SBMC
05-23-2007, 08:52 AM
I've got a good friend who's up there the same time,who's a top Walleye fisherman at Sabaskong,and I'll get you lined up on Walleyes in the area.I only fish Muskies,so not much help on the Walleyes.

flambeauman
05-23-2007, 09:07 AM
I love this forum!!!
I'm not a big drinker but I'll certainly line em' up for YOU for quality info like that.
Can't wait to get up there.
Thanks again Jay
-Craig

Jay SBMC
05-23-2007, 09:31 AM
>I love this forum!!!
>I'm not a big drinker but I'll certainly line em' up for YOU
>for quality info like that.
>Can't wait to get up there.
>Thanks again Jay
>-Craig
:7 You haven't seen our bar tab.Green's is the place to be for food/drink/atmosphere,and the original lodge before there was even roads up there.You had to get there by boat out of Morson back in the 30's.Cool place.Are you bringing your boat or renting?We fish up to 14 miles away,but run big motors.

flambeauman
05-23-2007, 09:48 AM
I've got a new 18' crestliner with a 115 on it that I wouldn't leave home without.
I'm hoping to get good use of the navionics hotmaps chip for LOTW.
Do you guys use gps? How far of a boat ride for me to Green's?
A lot of rocks to wory about traveling the Bay?
Is it worth yanking the boat out to go check out Crow or am I going to get more than enough action staying put?
Jay you must be working as hard as I am today at the office!LOL
-Craig

Breal31
05-23-2007, 10:49 AM
There's some real nice, but real small and overlooked Walleye humps literally right in the vicinity of the "bay" where all the resorts are on the highway.

As for Musky, I have never done that well right by Nestor, I have had by best luck from Wolf Island on to the west as you approach more Main lake Structure.

flambeauman
05-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Are there other public landings further to the west to cut out some boating time(gas) should I choose to?
Are you from the Nestor Falls area Breal?

Breal31
05-23-2007, 01:50 PM
There are no other landings to the West..at least to my knowledge...

What kind of boat will you be running? (engine HP?)

Wolf Island isn't a far ride for most boats, if you have at least a 25 HP you will be able to cover the entire thing with not too much of a problem.

I have talked to guys who have caught muskies literally in the waterfall, and in points and bays a stones throw away from the town. Even witnessed one caught myself. I only stayed right in town for one week in August, and have been back to visit several times on day trips in June and July. Like I said, I have had no luck "close". I met a local guide last year at the resort right next to Helliar's, he said he doesn't like to fish close because to him it feels like "downtown" and he also does much better going to the West.

Jay SBMC
05-23-2007, 03:36 PM
>I've got a new 18' crestliner with a 115 on it that I
>wouldn't leave home without.
>I'm hoping to get good use of the navionics hotmaps chip for
>LOTW.
>Do you guys use gps? How far of a boat ride for me to
>Green's?
>A lot of rocks to wory about traveling the Bay?
>Is it worth yanking the boat out to go check out Crow or am
>I going to get more than enough action staying put?
>Jay you must be working as hard as I am today at the
>office!LOL
>-Craig
I hate Crow,and a tough lake to fish without experience.I don't think you'r more than a couple of miles from Greens.They have a place to tie your boat up.I only use a map sometimes,but I've been going up there for quite a few years.All of the shield lakes have an abundance of rock,so you just have to be careful,and pay attention to where you are at.You've got plenty of boat/motor to handle all of Sabaskong.You really don't have to go anywhere else.There isn't too many Muskies fisheries better than where you are going.Like any big lake there is a LOT to learn,but we'll cut the learning curve down a bit for you.

flambeauman
05-23-2007, 06:05 PM
Thanks a ton guys! If I get to see a pig it's all worth it for me.
Jay, seriously, lets hook up. I did check out Helliars site.
Looks like a nice place at a reasonable rate. Is that right in Nestor Falls as well near Red Deer?
-Craig

Jay SBMC
05-23-2007, 07:44 PM
Helliars is right by the Falls,however we are staying directly across the bay West in a private cabin owned by Helliars.Red Deer is probably less than a mile away.I sent you a pm.

Wolf0503
05-26-2007, 11:14 AM
I just got back from Nestor Falls & LOTW. The lake is down about 3-4 feet. Watch very carefully where you go. Our party has been going to that area for 10+ years & we ended up wrecking two lower ends, 3 props, & 3 skegs. It wasn't my boat but we we're insured. The fishing was slow , even for Pike. Smallies were not on the shore lines yet, but holding off adjacent to shore. Not a Musky all week. It was cold & the weather forecast was calling for Flurries.

http://world2.techwarrior.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=45075523

Jay SBMC
05-26-2007, 04:40 PM
Wow,I can't believe you racked up that many motors.I've fished it that low,and we had to watch our map really close,but no problem.I know with most islands unnamed you probably couldn't tell me where you took them out.How many boats were in your group?

augiedoggy18
05-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Wow, I am also amazed at the boat-related carnage. This year will be my 18th at Red Deer Lodge and I have never even touched a motor to a rock while running. How in the heck did you pull off that much damage? Are you totally unfamiliar with the area? I feel bad for you, but the insurance should cover it. I am heading up June 23rd-28th. Sounds like the water is actually better this year as compared to last year.

Nick

flambeauman
05-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Hey wolf, is musky even open up there?
I guess I'll drag 2 boats for back-up!LOL
I have good friend in Kenora who I just called who said the water
is in better shape than last year.???

Jay SBMC
05-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Musky season always opens the third Saturday of June at LOTW.I heard from people up there water level is 2 1/2' low,not 3-4'.It was 3-4' low in 2003,and that was the worst it has been for quite a well.Even then we had no trouble running the lake.We had 3 places on the map we were careful about that had 4's we weren't sure where they were at.:) One ended up with a water jug marking it,so that helped.

Wolf0503
05-28-2007, 08:34 AM
No it's not the season yet but we almost always luck into a couple during the week. As I said it wasn't the boat I was in but I guess they weren't watching & looking for rocks either. We've been fishing the Nestor Falls area for 10 + years now & never had this much carnage. We're usually in Stony Portage Bay & that general area. They we're lodge boats not personal boats so I guess thats one good thing to say. 2 boats in our group.

http://world2.techwarrior.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=45075523