PDA

View Full Version : help out a new michigan musky hunter

big_fish
03-01-2007, 11:32 AM
well as the topic says im new to musky fishing. ive never done it before, and actually never even thought about it before as me and my dad are avid walleye fisherman. well i came across this website and i seen the "musky hunter...all other fish are just bait" and that kinda got me interested. so i started reading some posts and now i wanna try catching a musky. i live in grayling michigan right on lake margrethe and i know there is muskys in the lake because on real calm days ive seen huge fish laying in shallow water...the thing is i dont know if there are just a couple of fish here and there or if there is a decent population of muskys in the lake. so i dont know how hard it is gonna be to locate them. so my question is, once the ice melts what would be the best aproach to catching my first musky. i have decided to go with buying a shimano Compre Muskie Spinning rod and i havent decided on what reel yet...also i dont wanna spend a ton of money on lures because im not 100% positive im gonna like the whole musky fishing yet..so what lures should i start out with....i would like to get maybe 1 or 2 each of bucktails, topwater, jerkbaits ex....sorry for the long post but really excited for the ice to melt so i can try it out....thanks

-Kevin

Slimeball
03-02-2007, 01:33 AM
Hey Kevin,
Fellow Michigander, check out www.michiganmuskiealliance.org