PDA

View Full Version : Best Canadian Musky Lake

DEMolishedyou
02-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Hi, I want to go to Canada this year for the opener and was wondering whar is the best musky lake in Canada and any recomendations on lodges would be great.

Only if i could catch a musky

Breal31
02-08-2007, 04:14 AM
Paradise Cove Resort...Winnipeg River, Minaki

North Country Lodge/Mcintosh lodge....Canyon lake

Indian lake Lodge...Indian Lake

Andy Meyers Lodge..Eagle

Big fish only
02-08-2007, 05:30 AM
Andy Myers all the way, great lake, large fish, great lodge and people.

Alexander

DEMolishedyou
02-08-2007, 06:10 PM
is canyon lake a tough lake to fish since it is such clear water?

American Hardwood Lures:
http://www.musky-lures.com

Breal31
02-08-2007, 11:43 PM
Absolutely not. I have a photo album of Canyon pictures, half of them with me in the middle of the day in bright sun. It's clear, but it's not THAT clear, do not let that scare you

DEMolishedyou
02-09-2007, 05:52 PM
What lodge would you suggest on canyon lake for a fair priced housekeeping package?

American Hardwood Lures:

Breal31
02-10-2007, 01:09 AM
All 3 lodges are really priced fair.

I have stayed at North Country Lodge...very nice cabins, everything was good except the boats could have been better. I have heard good things about Mcintosh Lodge as well

DEMolishedyou
02-11-2007, 09:57 PM
What is the 3rd lodge besides north country and mcintosh?

American Hardwood Lures:

muskie_nut
02-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Yes, its called Bly's

Breal31
02-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Blyth's canyon lake Lodge

Minaki Musky
02-13-2007, 06:23 PM
Hi,

Eagle lake has got to be it. I have fished the Wpg river/Minaki for quite a few years faithfully every second weekend 3rd week in june till ice up , Yes there are big fish and lots of them, and it is a truly wonderful spot. But I look so forward to go to Eagle every year as I have seen and caught my biggest fish there with minimal hrs on the water. I personally believe you will have a harded time catching that trophy fish at paradise/Minaki than you would at Eagle. Plus most of the best Guides in Minaki have left, but that being said the water is very easy to navigate and you can find fish pretty easyily without one. If you do head up to Minaki PM me as I would love to meet up with some fellow Musky Nuts. You should come in October thou, there are litterly 8 boats on the water and you wont see a spot you cant fish because of another boat there. I think My neighbor and I had the entire lake to ourselves late last October.

Breal31
02-13-2007, 10:56 PM
I spent a week on Minaki last year, am spending my first full week on Eagle this year..I will report my results, but I will say it is going to be tough to beat a 52" and a 47"..I think? LOL

those fall fish on Minaki have amazing girth, I didn't see huge numbers, but certainly enough to keep you occupied.

DEMolishedyou
02-15-2007, 04:06 PM
so breal out of those lakes which one would you recomend for a novice musky fisherman?
I don't care about size that much... I would rather go for numbers and the ocassional bigger/big one.

American Hardwood Lures:

Breal31
02-15-2007, 11:16 PM
If you just want to catch a musky and learn a thing or two go to Indian Lake Lodge. I can already give you more then a head start and give you a detailed marked map with spots and what lures to throw and when. I have never had a week there with under 25 muskies in the boat.You can always hire a guide to take you up the road to Canyon for a day, they are a little bit tougher to catch there..

Judging by the description of what you are looking for, I really can't think of any other waters that are better suited for #'s

Sabguide
05-06-2007, 11:18 AM
If your looking for nice fish and good numbers. Try Sabaskong Bay LOTW. As a guide and local I have been fishing it my whole life and have good luck jsut about every time I go out. It is easy to navigate because there is a good depth map of the area and is loading with text book muskie spots.

MUSKY_18
05-07-2007, 02:54 AM
Are there more resorts on Minaki other than Paradise Cove? My fishing buddies have been trying to get me to go up there, instead of our usual LOTW trip. Just wanted other options in case Pardise is booked. Thanks

Breal31
05-09-2007, 11:14 AM
I stayed at Paradise Cove in September...There are other resorts in that area, although I can't name any except Bayview Lodge. Try doing some google searches...

Definetely try to get into Paradise though, it's a really good deal for what they charge and the location is also solid

chuckski
05-18-2007, 11:15 AM
We also stay at Paradise but there are others Sunset lodge,Birch Island, and Rough Rock Lodge. Lots of big fish and a 54 inch size limit and a million places to fish.
Being a river system the water levels are different year to year or even change while you are there.
We can always find fish and catch them,and they are FAT and seen some ture giants. This is our faverate place.

Rocks0rweeds
05-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Just two words Northwest Angle - I've been other places and the size and action can't be beat.

Weeds

muskylover61
05-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Wanna go where the guides go? IE. Pete Maina, Bob mehsikomer?? Go to Long Legged Lake Ontario. Pay for a guide, big lake, big fish with trophy potential being high!

Minaki Musky
06-15-2007, 08:35 AM
There are quite a few lodges out this way

Birch Island Resort
North Star Village ( great people)
Barbers ( great people)
Fergies Corner
Bayview Lodge
Paradise Cove
Sunset village
There are rooms above the Minaki Marina
Rough Rock Lodge

Any of the above are great fishing destinations in Minaki. Ill be on the water for opener tomorrow, On the water first light. Water is low this year so be careful. Have seen a couple while pike fishing this year so far, so hopefully they are in the same spot as last weekend and this weekend will be great.

bigfishdreams
08-24-2007, 11:41 AM
Why on earth would you want to go anywhere other than LOTW.?? I just got back and had the best trip of my life. I seen 30 fish in 1 day. Boated my personal best 49".. Wherever you end up have a great trip..

Breal31
08-25-2007, 12:43 PM
I really don't think LOTW is the best placeto stick a fish 50" or above anymore in Canada....I am sure we all have our own opinions on this, but I would rather go to Eagle myself

Rose_Cliff Lake
12-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Rose Engelke

We have just bought Lost Bay Resort on Cliff Lake, Ontario. This is one of the lakes that the ministry feels a record musky is possible because to the 54" limit imposed years ago. It's almost 6000 acres and we have 3 portage lakes...FYI

Mr Musky
12-30-2007, 07:18 PM
Breal 31, that is a bold statement about LOTW. Maybe it depends on which area of the LOTW your talking about. We get plenty of shot's at 50 inch fish every year and capitalize on a few of them.

Mr Musky

Mr Musky
12-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Brian, I have never fished Eagle, hopefully someday i'll make it up there. Im curious to what would an average week be for numbers and size of fish for 2 guys say in July?

Mr Musky

Bull Dawg
01-01-2008, 06:33 PM
I have been going to Eagle for the last 5 years. I went for 2 weeks in 07 and in those weeks boated 5 fish, 34 follows, 6 blow ups and lost 3 on the line. Eagle is awsome.

Always 8

Breal31
01-01-2008, 11:20 PM
hmm..for numbers and size..

There is no question you have a shot of fish up to 54", with many in the 48-52" range. In less then 2 weeks on the water this year the boat I was in caught 6 fish in the 48-50" range, and many , many follows of fish this size as well.

As for numbers, I would think 3-6 fish per angler per week is the standard with defintite chances of topping that. I have fished a ton of lakes in the NW Ontario Region and I have never seen so many big fish, and most of these big fish ARE active and really key in on your bait.

JerryRivers
01-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Mr. Jerry Rivers

Eagle Lake all the way. It is the best overall fishery for all species I have ever fished. Although I would say; spring is not the time to be up there for Muskies.

Matt DV
01-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Actually, I'd say it's hard to go wrong with Eagle or LOTW. Both lakes give up some awfully nice fish. On the whole, however, I think if you're dead-set on a trophy you will be best-served by going to Eagle. The meso sections of LOTW will give up better numbers of 34" to 48" fish, always with a shot at a big one. But from what I understand (haven't been there) it's not an uncommon experience to not see many fish under 48" in a weeks time on Eagle.

You could also do really well on the Winnipeg River at Minaki. I've fished it multiple times and I'd consider it possibly a compromise between LOTW and Eagle. Less overall action than LOTW, but bigger average fish. Not as many tankers as Eagle, but more action.

Of course, if you hit it right, you could also have a great numbers week on Eagle (numbers of big, big fish mind you).

You couldn't go wrong with any of these three choices. All of them are prime trophy muskie destinations!

Breal31
01-07-2008, 09:01 PM
I think Matt pretty much hit it right on the head

I have fished all 3 bodies of water and that is what I have found as well

danorman
03-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Looking at Lower Manitou in the summer - anyone with experience there?

MuskyMark72
03-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Rocks0Weeds, I read the message board on your choice of best musky lakes, and u said Northwest Angle. What does that mean? I am looking to go to Ontario with 6 Very average fishermen. Can you give me your opinion on a lake with action and size. All catch and release. Musky, smallmouth, and good numbers of pike to keep these guys catching. Walleye would be great, but not as important as the above mentioned. Lake less than 20,000 acres or so, and a lot of areas for shallow fishing. Its a lot to ask for, but your detailed advice would ab appreciated.

Thanks, Mark Donahue

Breal31
03-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Lower Manitou is secluded trout water. Big fish, not high in numbers, with fishing peak times becoming more important then on other waters

muskybait
03-17-2008, 01:56 PM
Eric, your best bet is to go to Eagle Lake and stay at AML. Herbie has this thing pegged. Chances are great for a trophy and numbers. Eagle being a little tough. Run over to Canyon, Stewart,or Indian Chain and catch muskys all day. Then go back to Eagle and try to catch the fish that we all go to Canada for. I can tell you this, with the price of gas this summer and the increased price on everything else,Eagle will give you the best bang for your buck. Just my humble opinion. TC

DEMolishedyou
03-18-2008, 06:56 PM
Yeah, it was a tough decision but I decided to head to eagle. I choose to stay at Bear Trail Lodge from July 19-26 though... has anyone ever stayed there?

If only I could catch muskies!

Breal31
03-19-2008, 08:59 AM
DEM, any idea what part of the lake that is on?

DEMolishedyou
03-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Well its located in a bay outside of Waldof, Ontario. I don't know very much about the Eagle Lake area because this will be my first time up there.

If only I could catch muskies!

STEAMBOAT
03-22-2008, 10:26 PM
I've got a bunch of shield lakes north of Toronto that have numbers and up to 52" and ofcourse the Georgian Bay
www.millsmuskyguideservice.ca

fishguide
03-23-2008, 08:14 AM
bear trail lodge is located in waldhof bay,just turn off hwy#17 at waldhof and go south ,just follow the signs.good fishing right in the bay,many good spots before even getting to the main lake,they do have there own boat launch there also.

Outfitter
04-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Danorman,

As bereal mentioned the manitou is trophy water and you don't catch lots of small fish, you are looking for the 50"+ fish. It is a tricky system, but can be very rewarding. We have 2 small portage lakes where you can catch 8-12 32" to 40" per day for some action, but the big boys are on the big lake.
If you need some info on the area, just let me know.

Matt