PDA

View Full Version : looking for a musky lake recomendation

GuapoPogi
02-04-2007, 10:43 AM
My wife, and I are trying to plan a fishing trip for late
summer or early fall. At the moment we a leaning toward
staying at Moosehorn Lodge on Pelican Lake in Ontario.
Pros (for us)
The price is good $1031 for two people, for eight nights.
The distance is ok at less than 800 miles from Chicago.
The muskies are big.
The lake is not crowded. (at least we were told that)

Cons (for us)
The lake is stained (we really prefer clear water fishing)
My wife is not a US citizen, and needs a visa prior to travel
to Canada.
My wife does not yet know how to drive, so I will have to do
all the driving.

Can anyone recomend a good lodge on a clearwater musky lake
that is not crowded, within 800 or 900 miles of Chicago,
or even just a clearwater musky lake that isn't crowded within
that distance.

A US lake would be a plus, but Ontario is still do-able, just
a little more dificult.
Record size fish are not a must but, 50" fish would still be nice.

Thanks in advance
GuapoPogi
Douglas

Breal31
02-06-2007, 12:16 PM
You might want to check out Clearwater-Pipestone chain or Barkers Island Resort on the Lower Manitou. Both are very clear, trout-style lakes that produce big muskies. Crowds wont be an issue on either, especially the Lower Manitou. There's really not much to fit that bill in Minnesota, maybe the clearwater part but not the crowds. The only possible lake I can think of is maybe Deer lake near Grand Rapids, I would advise you just get the visa and get into Canada though.

imnutty4muskies
02-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Kinkaid Lake in Southern Illinois, about 350 miles south of Chicago. This 2750 acre lake has over 90 miles of shoreline, and is one of the most beautiful lakes in the entire Midwest. I often hear how it reminds its visitors of some of the other lakes they've visited in Canada, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.

Most of the lake is pretty clear, with visibility levels approaching 6-8 feet at times, although this is variable throughout the basin. Both trolling and casting techniques work in the time-frame you've mentioned, so there's a lot of opportunity to learn a lot about your favorite fish.

There are a couple of others lakes that have muskies that fit your specifications, but Kinkaid is my favorite of them all. Also consider Cave Run, Buckhorn, or the Green River in Kentucky, Lake Webster, Tippecanoe, or Barbee in Indiana, or some of the Minnesota or Wisconsin waters like Leech, Vermillion, or Cass (MN) or the Chippewa Flowage in Wisconsin--home of the world record musky...'bout time one of us catches a fish to eclipse this mark, especially given the increasing popularity and number of anglers chasing this magnificent fish!

Al Nutty

Kinkaid Lake Guide Service

Been Nutty all my life...the insanity is a recent affliction!

Outfitter17
04-09-2007, 10:07 PM
You can look at Happy Landing Lodge on Pipestone Lake or Camp Manitou on Lower Manitou Lake. Both lakes are very clear and hold true trophies.

muskybait
05-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Without a doubt AML!!! You and your wife won't regret it. Best of all, if Eagle is tough, many other lakes close by to save the day with multiple fish day. Your wife will be impressed. Steve runs a first class operation.:D

Rose_Cliff Lake
12-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Rose Engelke

GuapoPogi

I'm curious which lake you chose and how did you do?

musky skunk
02-01-2008, 10:51 AM
I haven't personally fished them but word is Eagle lake, Pipestone (Clearwater chain), Long Legged Chain, Manitou, Crow, and Whitefish bay LOTW are all good clear water lakes in Canada. With that can be some difficult fishing at times as well. All lakes have monster muskies in them though.

What is your deffinition of clear. I really... REALLY like the moderatly stained lakes in Minnesota that have 5-7' visibility. We actually canceled our trip to LOTW this year becouse Minnesota was so good last year. It may be a little more crowded, and you may not be staying in a really nice resort... but the fishing can be awsome. That said Canada offers a unique experience with the scenic beauty and lack of crowds that lakes in the states just can't equal.

ToddM
02-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Doug, hit me up at the next FRV meeting and i will point you in some wisconsin directions if you are interested. I already gave you the one that would work but there are more.

www.frvmuskie.com
http://www.jomusky.com/ToddM.html
http://www.zaltnad.com/
http://www.hoosierhandmademuskybaits.com/

Which end is the sucker on?

reelpro
02-28-2008, 02:12 PM
If you want clear water Muskie with no crowds, try Lake Lauzon Ontario.
This lake gets almost no Muskie fishing pressure. The locals all only go there for the trout. One local property owner told me I was the first person he had ever heard of, fishing for Muskie there.
I have only fished this lake a few times, but have landed big Muskie every time there, also saw a couple of absolute brutes. Water is crystal, with depths over 500 feet. Good Lake trout and Smallmouth as well.

The lake is just east of Blind River Ontario, which is about 1 hour from Sault Ste Marie . Lake Lauzon Resort is the only place I know of for accom. When I went we rented a private cottage.

While there, your also only a stones throw from Georgian Bay's North Channel, home of the next world record Muskie.

mike@reelpro.ca