PDA

View Full Version : Kinkaid Water Temps and Ice???

sockpupet
01-27-2007, 06:02 AM
Any one know any details??
Bob

imnutty4muskies
02-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Was out on 2-09-07, slight rim of ice around boat ramp, lake clearest toward dam (2-3 foot visibility) many suspended fish marked on depthfinder, but few schools of bait. Surface temp 36.5-37.0 degrees
From diving cliff toward upper no-wake zone, several areas of thin ice, MANY more fish and schools of shad marked on 'finder. Water slightly warmer (37.0-38.0 degrees) and more stained (clarity about 10-12 inches)

Did not proceed beyond Buzzard Point, as ice became thicker. Heaviest concentration of marked fish in this area to Cochran Bay, also most baitfish schools.

Trolled for muskie all day (too cold to cast--reels were freezing up!!)and while we got every one that bit...none hit the lures...did see one musky feed on surface...also spooked several shallow fish (bass or gills) that were warming up in the brief period of sunshine that afternoon.

Expect things to improve as soon as it starts to warm up--this is not our typical weather for this time of year! Brrrrrr!! Longest cold spell in a long time!!

Al Nutty

Kinkaid Lake Guide Service

Been Nutty all my life, the insanity is a recent affliction!

imnutty4muskies
02-17-2007, 06:50 PM
Conditions as of 2-17 are basically the same...main lake ramp is clear, some frozen slush in marina basin near the slips...water temps are 36.5-37 degrees throughout lower main basin...water level dropping slightly (still about 5 inches over spillway.)

Was not able to venture north of Hutt's Bluff due to large slush field...marked several fish in 12-20 feet of water. Noted more bait and fish activity between Hutt's Bluff and Peter's Cave (the big diving cliff everyone jumps off of.)

Outer half of water treatment plant was open, slush field prevented travel into Graff, Noble, or Raymond Necks...saw much more bait and fish on depthfinder in water treatment neck than in main basin. Trolled most of the day, tried casting for a couple of hours but the reels kept freezing.

And to think...it's supposed to be 68 degrees next Friday!!

Al Nutty

Been Nutty all my life...the insanity is a recent affliction!!!

imnutty4muskies
02-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Here's the latest poop on the ice situation at the lake. As of yesterday (2-22-07) nearly all of the lake was open. There were a few remnant pockets of ice in some of the smaller, sheltered bays where the sunshine hadn't reached.

Water temps are 36-38 degrees. Clarity best by dam area, increased stain as you head toward Johnson Creek in the upper no-wake zone.

Slight ice field still reported near Piney Point, this warm weather and forecast rain for late Friday and Saturday will destroy any remnant ice fields.

Let the games begin (my buddy had a 39 incher on Sunday, Feb.18, trolling the main basin when most of the necks were frozen...) It hit a SS Shad MD model in shad pattern trolled 18 feet deep on 80 feet of line behind the boat.

Al Nutty

imnutty4muskies
03-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Had about an inch of rain on 3-22, report is valid as of 3-23...only the extreme upper end is muddy (to about the NW corner of Allen Island.) Rest of no-wake zone has small bands of muddy water, clarity remains good at about 15-18 inches. Temps are 54-56 through this zone.

From the entrance to the upper no-wake to the cliff, clarity is 1.5-3 feet of visibility. From the cliff at Peter's Point to the dam, clarity is 3-4 feet, a little more in some areas. Temperatures are 49-52 through this region.

In the water treatment plant, temperatures are 52-54 degrees, running a little higher in the extreme shallow water. Clarity is good at 3-4 feet of visibility, although there is a little staining in the back of the creek areas.

All in all, not too bad.

Al Nutty

imnutty4muskies
03-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Here's the latest scoop about Kinkaid...some of the muskies have spawned, but not all...the water temps blew up so fast that those that were shallow dropped their eggs, many others did not (next full moon...) Temps are in the low to mid 60's throughout most of the lake.

Moved one in the mid 40's on Thursday, 3-29, and my buddy had a follow from one in the upper 30's...my fish appeared to be pre-spawn, nice, big, and fat, and took one swipe at the bait before it got to the boat but wouldn't go into an 8...my buddy's fish was a lethargic follow, sank out of sight as it approached the boat.

Remember...they don't all spawn at the same time. Nor do they come off the spawn at the same time.

Al Nutty
Been Nutty all my life...the insanity is a recent affliction!!

imnutty4muskies
04-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Haven't heard the final tally but the Fox River MI guys were down this last weekend (March 31, April 1) and caught several fish. Water conditions are good, some of the best I've seen for this time of year with regard to clarity, temp, and moon phase. Heard of LOTS of follows, a number of fish between 42-44 inches, and several in the upper 30 inch range being caught.

Remember, not all of the fish spawn (or come off of it) at the same time...there are a few pre-spawn fish left, but most have been getting romantic, and will soon be back at the dinner table near the schools of baitfish!

Al Nutty
Been Nutty all my life...the insanity is a recent affliction!!