PDA

View Full Version : Leech Lake is Burnt...

James Vee
08-15-2006, 03:08 PM
Leech lake has got some serious issues. I dont' even know where to start.

fish4musky1
08-15-2006, 04:43 PM
what do you mean?

James Vee
08-15-2006, 08:28 PM
First the walleyes were disappearing; so start blasting all cormorants. (I fully support this idea)

Now the cabbage weeds are all but gone in a lake that has over 900 miles of shoreline. Minnesota fisheries says the cabbage is on a cycle ( I don't know what the cycle is they're claiming). But in the past 30+ years to my knowledge these weeds have ALWAYS been there. Musky fishing is extremely tough. Fish that have been caught appear to be healthy though. All reports claim that the rusty crab (crawfish) is not the culprit for the weeds now disappearing. So what gives, because it sure as hell isnt' on a weed cycle.

Silverscale
08-21-2006, 07:56 PM
In my experience with Rusty's is that they will decimate all the cabbage that is growing in the sand. The good news is that they tend to leave the tobacco cabbage alone along with some other veg and pretty much leave it all alone where it is growing in muck. The muskies will still be there and will start using other areas or will still use the same areas even without the cabbage but to a lesser extent. When and if the rusty's get that numerous they will also become a major food source for all predator fish in the lake including the muskies. It's sad to see all the cabbage disapear but as the fish adjust so must us anglers.

Troyz1
08-22-2006, 08:27 AM
Like Jim stated time to adapt, cabbage does come and go, as Jim is aware of that on the Big V, fishing is still good, but time to move on and explore. I talked to Keith from Professional Edge Rods and he stays on Leech and he has been having a great year and claims fishing is the best he has seen in 7 years.

Good luck

Troyz

James Vee
08-22-2006, 08:42 AM
The fishing on the South end is the best it has ever been. Not like it ever has been before. It upsets me that fisheries claims the loss of cabbage weeds is because of a cycle...total bs in my opinion.

Mak
09-09-2006, 01:03 AM
Amen, rusty crayfish have completely wiped out weedbeds on the east end of Lake Vermilion. LV is having the same problem with weeds disappering.

Tully
09-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Maybe they need to bring in more Cormorants to eat the rusty crayfish? Jk. The weed situation is bad but you just have to adjust.

big jay
09-13-2006, 06:48 PM
yes i agree. one way they could start is too ban all trolling and make the seasons shorter to give muskies more time off from being caught every other day until they die. they should do this in all minnesota lakes.

Muskiefool
09-17-2006, 05:12 PM
The season is going to be shortened as is my understanding to Dec 1 next year, they should possibly trap the Rusty's around the cabbage, they should be as easy as any cray to trap, as for trolling the only problem with that I think is when water temps get up there, but you still see guys doing it, it is tough to see the Cabbage disappear, Cripes Grand Vu is a fraction of what it once was.
Muskiestosis
Pimp My Muskie
E to the X to the ibit