PDA

View Full Version : Vermillion or Leech?

Money Spent
06-09-2006, 11:09 PM
I am soooo confused. Never gone Musky fishing before but I am planning a trip to MN for September this year with 3 other Musky novices. I thought I had the vacation all planned out to Leech lake for a week but after reading a lot of the posts on this site I see that Lake Vermillion looks damn good too. I want the best of both worlds, lots of fish and big fish too. Can anyone help me make the choice? Thanks.

momuskyman
06-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Both lakes are awesome. If you're making the trip, split the cost of a guide between your party. If only for one day, you'll learn what you need to about either of these lakes and it'll make the rest of your trip that much better. You really can't go wrong with either lake. If you look a little further into this site there are some pretty good guides listed for both lakes.

fomsparky
06-15-2006, 07:47 AM
Since you describe yourself and your buddies as novices I would suggest Leech as opposed to Vermilion. Vermilion is a great trophy lake, but it's not uncommon to fish for days without so much as a follow. Your action at Vermilion is likely to be very SLOW although there's no doubt you'll have a shot a trophy.

On Leech you have just as good a shot at a trophy fish, but you're likely to have a lot more action and a better trip. I caught my first muskie (a 38 incher) on Leech.

I also go to Vermilion every year. 4 times I've been completely skunked on Vermilion, but I've also caught two 50+ inch fish out of that lake.

I think you'd have a much better time/trip going to Leech.

Luke Sparks
Trinity Muskie Trail
www.trinityfishingministries.com

Jesus said, "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men." Matthew 4:19

Phoenix
06-20-2006, 12:10 PM
You should consider the size of your boat as well.

Leech with wind is almost impossible for a smaller boat. Parts of Vermillion can be as well, but other parts are fishable at all times.

Never been to leech, but love Vermilion. Feels like Canada without the drive.

Steve

R_Theel
07-17-2006, 02:00 PM
I was on Leech with a guide (Al Maas...very nice and knowledgable guy by the way), the fishing was SLOW (Saw 1 mid-40's fish)...According to Al the early spring has confused the muskies a bit...however I think it would be a good bet that time of year...especially since the boat traffic will be much less by then. Definetly consider your boat size...Leech can throw some big waves as can Vermillion though, also consider driving distance, if you are just "getting your feet wet" in the realm of Musky fishing, Leech and a guide may be your best bet. However I am biased because I have a cabin in the area! Good Luck.

RT