PDA

View Full Version : St. Germain reports????

top water freak
05-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Has there been any good action this weekend from all the heat? I'll be fishing there this week. One thing is for sure the southern wisc. lakes are going good for the last week.

Steve Heiting
06-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Hi:

Water temps shot up with the heat and the musky fishing wasn't the greatest. Some guys saw fish and caught a few while others reported not seeing any muskies.

We moved fish on minnowbaits and gliders from shallow flats (6-8 feet) with emerging weeds. I caught a 39-incher on a Reef Hawg. No action over open water, but that doesn't mean that's not happening -- we just didn't do anything when we tried it. Fishing for suspended muskies is a great pattern, especially early in the season.

The long range forecast calls for highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s, so that should stabilize the water temps and result in more consistent fishing.

For more, go to http://www.stgermainguides.com/reports.htm

Seabass
06-02-2006, 12:07 PM
Steve,

Having seen some of your DVDs and read your posts, I know you are an "open water" fan when fishing Northern Wisconsin or cisco-forage lakes.

I'm just curious if the same tactic works at a place like LOTW? Do you ever try open water there? Or do you stay consistently closer to structure on LOTW?

Thanks for any input.

top water freak
06-03-2006, 11:43 PM
Thanks steve, we just got back today the trip could have been better but we did have alot of lookers this morning on Big Arb. The ifsh were really slow but would move for slow 6" jakes and reefhogs. I was praying for a weather change but didnt get it. I talked to a guy a rollies and the tourney lakes seemed to be the same pattern we experienced. I picked up a holo sucker triple D and am really exitecd about the action. This is the third time we have fished the area since being at the last spring school.

Steve Heiting
06-05-2006, 09:17 AM
Hi TW and Seabass:

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I was attending a funeral last week and was out of action until yesterday. Didn't do anything the evening of 6/2, but I was fishing a water with low numbers but bigger fish.

Seabass, although I'm sure you could catch muskies over open water in Canada, I think fishing closer to structure is a much higher percentage idea, especially in the summer. Even in WI, when I cast to open water fish I look for lakes with narrow basins because this tends to narrow down where the fish could be. In Canada, if you want to fish open water, you might as well troll because you can cover a lot of water quickly.

The best open water bite I've seen in Canada occurs immediately after turnover (mid to late September) in waters that have ciscoes/tullibees.

Seabass
07-19-2006, 07:25 PM
Hmmm...I've been busy since early June and finally got back to this one! Steve's comments confirm what I've noticed in the past and again this year at LOTW.

Thanks for the info, Steve--it helps eliminate some doubtful options when fishing Canada.