PDA

View Full Version : TC Metro Report

Phoenix
05-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Water Temp on White Bear Lake was 59-60 degrees.

Water Clarity 6-8 feet.

The countdown is on.......

Steve

thebeave
06-02-2006, 02:50 PM
I think I'm heading to Lake Independence in the morning and WBL at night. I won't be able to sleep all night, I can't wait to toss the big boy baits!! Good luck all I'll check back later!

Beave

thebeave
06-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Only two follows on Indy, mid to high 30" fish. Water 72.5 50 Boats! Both fish in 10-15 ft, bucktail weededge

Phoenix
06-05-2006, 08:05 AM
Fished WB Sunday evening till midnight, Should have been a pre-frontal situation but the front was moving so slow it never made it.

Water temps ranged from 71 on south end to 75 on the north end. Wind has been steady out of the S,SE. Sky was supposed to go overcast but was clear instead. Air was also very dry heading into the night.

Really thought the fish would be along some of the windswept points but nada.

Buddy had a fish on but never got it close enough to the boat to ID it.

Vegitation is growing in quickly, and there is a really nice fresh crop of jacka%% pleasure boaters on the water.

Steve

Dedicated Angler
06-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Fish WBL Sat Morning.

Water temps around 74 degrees.

Fish were all over the shop.

We had 6 decent fish follow, 30" or bigger the biggest was mid 40's. The number of little fish and hammer handles was to much to keep track of.
I had one fish follow my boatside circle so long I thought about making him dizzy and netting him.

We had fish up on cranks, Hair, Jerkbaits, and Topwater.

We had rookie in the boat and they had a blast seeing so many fish.

If anyone notice the baby loon on WBL? Well he is no longer with us. The resident bully a ( Bald Eagle ) snached him off the water right in front of us. Kinda sad but thus is the circle of life

happy hooker
06-06-2006, 09:00 AM
42 on saturday lost about a 40 my buddy lost about a 48-50 maybe a dozen follows,,,Sunday horrible maybe 8 follows 1 hot fish,,we have a cell phone network with reports comming in from all sides of city and this was a very slow openner compared to most years,,Monday spent the day GPS'ing spots for this weekends Hartmans metro tourney then afterwards we had about 6 follows all low and slow

MNSteveH
06-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Hit Baldy Sat AM - by 5:30 am the place was already very crowded - like a parade boats up and down the edges. Lots (!) of fish moving early (before 8 AM) but pretty much no eaters. I had 7-8 follows but only saw one caught. Most everybody was throwing small jerkbaits - I raise fish on Vipers, Phantoms and spinnerbaits, but there seemed to be a decided preference for the weighted Viper. Two actually bumped the bait with thier snout, but nobody opened up. The guy I saw catch one was working his bait slowly with very, very long pauses. Most all the fish, especially early were out off the edges in 14-16' following the crappies. I didn't get a water temp but the pond weed has already completly died off so you know the temp is up and lake "ahead of schedule".

I'm guessing that with all the nice weather we've had many of those fish had already been caught and with all the pressure they were getting these fish are already well educated.

Any report on Forest?

thebeave
06-07-2006, 10:29 PM
Wed 6/7/06 Hit BE from 5-sunset, water is 77 on the surface and tons of boats. No Muskie, but caught about 6 Northerns on crankbaits 10-15 feet deep, one nice one about 30".

Beaver

thebeave
06-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Went to Indy today. Had two follows 40" fish, caught one skinny 36". Saw some guy get a high 40" fish, and saw one surface but couldn't get it to chase. Temps were down 66-67 degrees.

Lals
06-12-2006, 05:23 PM
I was out on WBL on Sunday am -- 6am-11-- Water Temps were 68-70 degrees. A few follows. One shallow on a Klr eel, one on a weedline on a Top Water (prop style).

Dedicated Angler
06-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Fished Forest for the first time last night.

Water temps 74-75
water clarity was about 3' tops, the DNR sechi survey has it @ 7'
Had lots of big pike action 4 fish 28" or better the biggest was 35 and obscene fat.
Had one nice ski hit boatside 40" maybe 42". I saw the fish go into the eight, felt a bump after the turn as the bait was diving. I set and nothing. Kept the 8 going about 5-6 more times gone. We hit the same spot 4 more times under different conditions. Each time with a different presentation nothing.

All the action came on Cranks: Crank, rip, pause Smack All fish hit right after a pause

Shallow invader (2), 9" Jake (1), 10" believer (1) plus the swing and miss on the ski boatside

Pal
06-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Out on Forest Lake today.

Water temps at about 73 degrees in the morning.

My partner got a little guy (32-33) in the first 10 minutes, then the northerns started to show up. After a nice rain shower we went back out and my partner had a nice 44-45 incher follow up to the baot, but we could not get it to go. As usual, these these were seen with his standard firetiger giant shad rap on.

I threw a black bucktail most of the time and did not get any action.

Pal

Lals
07-10-2006, 11:33 AM
I haven't been out on WBL recently but my friends have hit it three times lately with very little action.

I am wondering what is going on?

Dedicated Angler
07-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Not really metro report
Fished Cedar lake (WI)
Water temp 77 to 78
Caught 3 decent pike but no Musky. I had one nice fish follow but skipped out on the eight. Went back and tried to raise the fish again but no dice. Fish was low and slow following a Phantom
all the fish came from under 4' of water.

Hopefully the moon phase and possible front gets them going a bit, before it gets to hot to fish.

Pal
07-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Out on Forest lake today roasting to death.

Water temps started out at 75 degrees and were at 81 degrees when I left. I do not want to know what the air temps were.

I did manage to scare one little guy into chasing my lure, but he darted off at the boat. Nothing much else to report but two northerns for my efforts.

Pal

Lals
07-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Fished WBL from 6-11am. Water Temps were 80-82 degrees.

One follow from a good size fish on a Hell Hound -- a very good bait. Nothing really moving. Fished the deep weedline mostly did fish shallow rocks on Ordway Bar early with no action.

Phoenix
07-16-2006, 07:44 AM
WB Fisherman,

I used to hit ordway bar early in the morning but never moved fish there. It has always seemed like it SHOULD be a classic big fish area. What has your experience been?

I have a few other thoughts about WB and would be interested in what you think.

1) the fish move around alot, so spots change from year to year

2) what they want, colors etc, also seems to change. be prepared to throw different baits and colors than what worked in the past.

3) the lake does recieve an increasing amount of presure. I believe to catch the big girls that ARE out there, you have to try secondary and even tertiary spots. Perhaps the biggest untapped portion of the lake is the basin. I am no trolling expert, alright, I am not expert at anything when it comes to musky fishing, but I would venture to guess that a guy who likes to troll (I don't) and knows how to do it well ( I don't), could boat some real beasts.

Finally, I have been considering hiring a guide for a day on WB. Since I fish it almost every weekend, and do catch some fish, even some large ones, many might find this surprising, but I beieve that it is because of the fact that I fish it every weekend that I would stand t get the biggest retrun on my investment.
The big question is.....WHO?

Anyone interested in going in a guide for a day?

Steve

Lals
07-16-2006, 11:30 AM
I have never moved fish on Ordways bar either but have heard of good fish there but it does get "pounded". I tried getting there first on Sat but at 6AM there were already 10 boats fishing Muskies and it probably got hit.

I agree that fish do move around a lot as it seems like it is different areas of the lake end up being more productive year to year as well as different baits and colors. This year I haven't found any new spots or lures.

I think all three of these things are happening:

1) The fish on the edges are more "educated" and there are less of them due to pressure but they still use these areas.

2) Fish are deeper as you suggest

3) More Fish have move into that intermediate zone between the deep edge and the shallow break line to get away from the fishing pressure

As far as a guide, I ran into Josh Borovske (writer for In-Fisherman, Esoxs Magazine) on WBL. If you take a quide it probably would be producive to learn about a whole range of things to get fish to go on a pressured lake and where to find them given the current conditions including fishing pressure.

What about nite fishing on WBL?

Count me in on a quide if you are interested.

Dedicated Angler
07-17-2006, 09:35 AM
I was out on WBL @ 3:00AM on friday
Water temp was between 78-80 degrees depending on which side of the lake you were on.

Casted Normally high percentage areas very quickly. Nothing to show for it (Ordway was one of them). Switched gears to trolling deeper water 20'+ Managed a nice largemouth on a depth raider

Casted around the pods of gills in and around the weeds. Nothing ( 2 more bass).

Casted some real shallow stuff / docks and moved one small ski

I don't get it the place is crawling with fish but I can't catch them. I think that they have either crawled up into the weeds and pulled them up over themselves or they have moved out deep and only move up for short feeding windows.

I have moved a lot of fish this year but it seems to me that NONE have be hot fish. Most shy off early, follow low and slow, never had one up more than one time. My eights are good as I caught half my fish that way last year. What gives

Phoenix
07-17-2006, 07:25 PM
White Bear Lake Musky Anglers,

Perhaps we should all get together over a few beers and discuss the lake.

If nothing else it would be fun to put faces with all the names.

Steve

thebeave
07-17-2006, 10:52 PM
WBL is a beast to figure out, and I do love trying. I think I might head out later tomorrow, maybe a 6-11 run and see what happens after dark with the weather being so warm. I do like the ideas of beer and 'ski meeting.

Beaver

Dedicated Angler
07-20-2006, 07:43 AM
Fish Bald Eagle last night 5:30 - 10:00 pm
Surface temp 78-79
Post frontal, wind switch, High clearing skies.
I caught a 35" pike on a shallow invader
My buddy caught a 44" x 16.5" and lost another nice fish of the same size or a bit larger.
I had one swing and miss on a top raider on the figure eight
All fish came from under 5' of water

MNSteveH
07-21-2006, 01:30 PM
I'd be up for a little meeting on WBL to share ideas and spots. I haven't been out there much this year but manage to boat 5-10 per year from there.

Here's a few general observations:
1) fishing usualy pretty slow there until mid Aug, and pressure drops off considerably in Sept - I save up my time on WBL to later in the year. In June/July fish are not very structure related and more likely to be out off the edges making them harder to find. I'm not much of a troller but it's probably the way to go this time of year.
2) the bars like Ordway's are a "baromter" for what's going on. I usually hit it quick with either a bucktail or a topraider - if fish are there (up on top) it's a sign of active fish everywhere and time to run and gun the best spots. If not there then I usually slow down and work the edges and deeper water.
3) best baits either small and natural (perch baby DR) or very big (10" Jake in Glitter perch), I also like baits with purple a lot - a purple bucktail will definitly move (and catch) fish.
4) weed edges and even structures on bars change every year and once you find a fish using a very specific spot (usually a finger of weeds extending out into deeper water, or a rock along a bar), mark it and keep coming back to that specific finger or rock and don't waste time casting the whole edge. One other hand, don't waste much time on specific spots that held fish last year because they change and the fish just aren't there any more. If your spots aren't working you need to put in your time exploring the whole edge again looking for this year's new spot on the spot.
5) While I've been reasonably sucessful, the really big girls have eluded me (although I've seen a few). Fishing deeper water and basin are probably key, but you've got to be willing to put in the time (which I don't have right now).
6) with that really clear water, "watching" the fish follow can be mesmerizing (and fustrating). I try to add extra triggers before the bait gets to the boat and be really aggresive on boatside moves - big fast circles or rips - I want a strike, not a follow.

Lals
07-22-2006, 02:44 PM
WBL -- 7-11am on Sat. Water Temps -- 78-80 degrees.

Raised a big fish early on a Hell Hound. Only a few northerns after that. Trolled the South/East End for a while in the 20-35' range with Jakes, DR and Musky Shads. Saw a lot of suspended fish -- there was a lot of competition for my cranks.

I would be happy to meet up for a few drinks to discuss the trial and tribulations of WBL and Muskies in general.

I am longing for LOTW!!!

Phoenix
07-24-2006, 08:34 AM
Lake Harriet:

Fished Sunday evening 7-11.

Water temp 79. Lots of weed cutting going on. Did not see any fish.

Steve

Lals
07-29-2006, 06:47 PM
Fished the St. Croix this morning from 5-10. Water Temps were 80-82 degrees. Got a fat 40" Musky on a Hellhound at about 8 o'clock. In the water release and the fish swam away strong. It was on shallow sand. Didn't raise any other fish.

Dedicated Angler
08-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Fished WBL from 4:15 to 8:30AM

I saw one nice musky just hang'n out

My buddies got into the 24-30" pike thick (6 of them)
Several other fish hit but did not pin up.

Water temp 80.9 @ surface - down from last weeks high temps
Casted weeds 12' and under. Lots of action on jerkbaits and twitched cranks

Lals
08-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Out on WBL -- 6:30 - 10:30am. Water Temps were 80-81 degrees

Got one on a Mepps Marabou -- 37". In the water release, the fish swam away strong. Got the fish right away and didn't see another the rest of the morning. I got the fish on a deep weedline point. Tried shallow with bucktails and top water but mostly the deep weedline.

Lals
08-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Out on WBL from 8-11am. Water Temps 79-80 degrees. Cloudy with wind out of the NW 5-10MPH

Got a 44" on a walk the dog top water on a deep weedline point. My son missed a very strong fish on a shallow invader. I had a blow up on the same top water -- alot of commotion but no fish -- frustrating. Seemed to miss the bait. A couple of other follows with one a good fish. The most action I have seen on WBL this year. All the fish were on the deep weedline. I tried a couple shallow spots but nothing. Doesnt' mean that they were not there.

thebeave
08-06-2006, 12:33 PM
WBl 7am-12pm Water Temp 77

Saw a fish surface on the deep weed edge, but didn't want any baits, probably high 30's, and then I had a monster follow and around the eight three times. Solid high 40's fish, came out of weeds 8-13 feet. Just can't get them to bite this year.

Beave

Lals
08-13-2006, 08:52 PM
I was wondering if anyone hit some of the Metro lakes this morning (Sunday) and how was the fishing? I was too lazy and slept in....

thebeave
08-13-2006, 09:22 PM
I was out on WBL and Baldy on Tues and Wed, in that iorder, fished after dark with the full mooon, only a few pike and bass no 'Skis.

Went to Indy this morning, and got 2 hours in before the storms-7-9am goy one 38 incher, then kicked off the lake. Went to WBL in evening and didn't see anything (6:30 - 9:30) except one pike. Over the last week I have had so many problems with boaters flying by w/in 100 feet of me!! I'm about to put a depth raider in the side of someone's face! Legally I wonder if I can get away with it, "Sorry Warden/Sherrif, but dude just drove into my cast?" Water temps were down to about 71 on Indy and 75 on WBL, this should help pick up the Dog Day action. I can't wait until fall and those pleasure boaters hand up the skis and tubes. Anyone else get out??

Bookem
08-14-2006, 10:16 AM
West metro lake saturday morning. Boated a skinny 42 and rose another big girl. Finally moving fish in these cooler water temps.

Phoenix
08-15-2006, 06:08 AM
Got out Sunday early a.m. on WBL, fished until storm moved in. Boated some small and one decent northern. Did not see a ski anywhere except one that looked like it poked it's head out of the water about 8' from the boat to take a look at us and then swim away. Yeah, that was wierd.

Water temps around 75.

Fished shallow, very shallow, fished 12-17 foot edges, nada. Where have the fish gone too?

This lake is making me crazy. I used to see a lot of fish following, now none. I suspect that all the fish released by Muskies Inc. were eaten by the local established stock so now they are too full to bother chasing baits;-) Also, water seems cloudier than in the past so vis is down.

Does anybody have any luck fishing the bay on the west side of the lake. There is a lot of nice cabbage there but all I ever see are pike.

Seriously though, I think the movements of the WBL skis are mostly all baitfish dependent, not really structure related. How to cash in on this? Not so sure. Troll? Bah... I hate trolling!

Steve

Lals
08-15-2006, 11:47 AM
I think you are right that many fish are bait fish related in open water and when I was out on Sat, I saw some incrediable schools of good size "baitfish" (crappies?) in 25 feet of water -- my new Lowrance 25C is unbelievable. I have a mental block on fishing that type of open water. I need to start trying.

Regarding the West Side of WBL by Kowalski's, my experience is similar. However, you know that there has to be Muskies in that area. It is one huge weed flat. I have seen fish there but very few (2) and far between. I haven't found an area(s) that would concentrate them. Probably a tanker or two in that area. I have raised a few by the reeds by the channel but haven't caught one yet at that spot.

On Sat, I did raise one in about 3-4' FOW on a chatter bait, and my buddy lost a nice one on Shallow Invader in 12-15' FOW. The chatter bait is kind of weird not for the obvious reasons -- it is weird looking bait. I have caught 2 muskies on them and lost two others. What I mean is that in some instances the Muskies go nuts over them but most of the time -- nothing. Classic example, I'm on LOTW and three guys fish a great area with a top water, spinner bait and bucktail. We saw nothing and decided to try the same area again and I put on a chatterbait -- I caught one, lost one and raised 3 others in 15 minutes. For the rest of the day -- nada and we caught fish on other baits.

PS. Phoenix, you made me feel better about missing Sunday morning. I did get to the launch at 10:30 and launched the boat, when I got out of my car, I heard the thunder and my son saw lightning, so we took the boat out and went home :-(

thebeave
08-15-2006, 06:22 PM
As for WBl I have seen some fish on the West end but more out in the open flats and not relating to anything but he weed cover. It's rare but every fish I do see follow over ther has been pretty big. It just takes time to cover all of that area and hopefully you have the right bait on when you do pass one. I've only had baits that result in follows, but no hits. I have yet to see one hit or follow againg after the initial intrest either. I have seen a lot of bait fish schools in the very shallows, but no 'Skis nearby. I do troll, and usually have success, but not this year. I do troll from 10 feet to 30 feet with just about all lures, and this summer has been tough. I do like trolling from one spot to the next if they aren't too far away, you'd be surprised the amount of fish you can see by covering that little extra bit of water, but that's usually on clear days with little action. Give me a day like Sunday, and I'm hitting spots like crazy. I think the heat and drought are really making these dog days tough, not to even mention but bald Eagle has been just as tough, I know that lake better than any, but this year it's like I have no clue. Maybe a tough summer will mean a kick ##### Fall. I don't know, I'm just happy Lake Indy has been kind this year

Beave

Paul Haarstad
08-21-2006, 03:39 PM
How deep of water are you in on indy. I was out last Friday and did not see a fish. I Have a smaller boat so I like to fish the smaller lakes. any help would be great.

thebeave
08-21-2006, 07:18 PM
I was out on Indy on Sat. Morning and had a small 30" fish miss a surface lure, but other than that I didn't see anything else. I was on Lake Elmo yesterday, and wow were there the boats!! I don't fish it much, so it was news to me. I thought I'd give those Tigers a try, maybe I better wait until fall or winter!

As for Indy, I fish from 0-25 feet, depends on the day and if I'm seeing fish. I see most fish 15-8 feet in the summer. There are a lot deep weed edges and rock humps to hit, so hopefully you have a depthfinder. Sorry it's not more help, but I haven't pinpointed any hot zones. Start shallow and move deep if you're not seeing fish.

Beave

thebeave
08-24-2006, 07:40 PM
Went out on Owasso yesterday (Wed) and nothing, not even a Pike. I've only fished it a couple times and caught some decent pike but no Muskies. Anyone ever have any luck or is this a dead lake? I threw everything, and even trolled. Maybe it was just a bad day, but I just never really have any luck here. Also, if you do go, watch teh ramp as you put your boat in or out, I saw a guy get his tire pinched inbetween a cement crack, and it blew out his trailer tire. If you go ther you'll see what I'm talking about.

Beave

Lals
08-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Beave -- I appreciate the reports. I don't have any experience on the lake you mentioned.

I hit WBL yesterday. The guard at the launch said 3 out of 4 boats got muskies before I got there (5:30) -- it must of been hot during the day -- good day with low pressure and all. It was pretty dead for me but I did lose one at the boat (35") at around 9 o'clock -- it was my only bite and I didn't see any follows. I have had some good success in the last few weeks, fishing the first couple hours of darkness.

By the way, where have all of those 28-30" Muskies (300) that were stocked last winter. I haven't seen any of those fish for months.

Paul Haarstad
08-25-2006, 12:12 PM
I was out on Indy on Weds and did not see a muskie. I did find a few bass. I fished deep and shallow but know fish.

I went to tonka on Thursday AM and about 1/2 hour before the storm came in I had missed a low 40 on a top raider. I also had a 50 follow in on the same bait and hit the side of the boat. I had to get off the lake do to the storm.

marine_1
09-05-2006, 01:24 PM
WBL this weekend had 6 follows on Saturday caught 3 on Monday 34, 41, 37. I saw some SOWS on Saturday but couldn't convert the follows.

MNSteveH
09-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Fished Forest Fri and Mon. Lost/missed two big ski's (one each day), boated a small guy on Fri, and got a couple pike over 30". Had a couple other lazy follows but mostly it was either a fast/violent strike or nothing. All were on spinnerbaits worked high and slow in areas with very thick weeds and reasonably clear water. Very hard to get a decent hookset under these conditions. I still don't understand how even a small pike will completely inhale both hooks of a Rad Dog and a big ski comes up blank. Lake One has a nasty bloom going on and didn't do anything there. Lake Two seemed the clearest with some decent areas of cabbage but I moved more fish in areas with really narly coontail.

Also fished WB for about an hr on Sunday before lightning drove me off. Water temp was 73 but a lot of dying weeds on the flats - seems too early and water temps still too high for this much die-off - the weeds on Forest were in much better shape - but didn't have enough time to seach WB for new caggabe growth. There's also some bloom on WB and the water color is about as green as it ever gets.

Hey Marine1 were you moving fish shallow or deep?

marine_1
09-05-2006, 08:20 PM
I was moving the Fish DEEP on Saturday we saw all of them in 16-18 ft. typical on White Bear when things are good saw them all on the lure I love to hate, a Bulldawg. Anyway, was out on Forest Sat. afternoon and got nothing but did see a guy catch a small fish on the north side of the reeds on the west side of the channel between Lakes 1 and 2. The fish I caught on WB were in 3-7 ft of water.

MNSteveH
09-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Thanks Marine. I've had similar experiences on WB. When the fish are on the deep weed edges you can get lots of follows and occasionally an eater. For some reason I've had some success under these conditions with a small bait when they only follow a big one (perch baby DR works pretty good). When they are shallow and move for a bait they usually eat it.

I hate fishing spinner baits because of poor hooking ability and my experineces this weekend on Forest only cemented that. But when fish are in the shallow slop with lots of floating debris there are not many options. I havn't been fishing much this year but have missed/lost several large fish so feeling a bit snake-bitten.

Dedicated Angler
09-08-2006, 07:06 AM
Fished WBL Last night
I got nothing !
Water temp was 74
Weeds still looked good, Tried to keep the boat out around 16' and cast up shallow. 1 lazy roll and no follow on a phantom.

Went shallower and beat up on a bunch of pike.

Phoenix
09-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Fished WB 10-2.

High Winds from SE

Water Temp 67-69

Fished White Eagle Tail, and firetiger spinner baits.

Fished 18-4 fow

Very green and cloudy

NO FISH

except little pike

Argh

Steve

MNSteveH
09-20-2006, 02:53 PM
Was on Forest Friday 12-5 pm - water temp about 63 - fished shallow wind-blown weedbeds/edges - only saw one half-hearted follower. All three lakes were very green <1 ft visibility. Nobody else I spoke with had even seen a fish.

Fished WB Sun 8am-noon - wind was really howling out of the NE - water temps about 66 - moved quite a few nice fish on shallow rocks with Topraiders but couldn't get hooks into any - they seemed be slapping at the bait but not eating it. Tried other baits but the Topraider was the only thing that moved 'em (Phoenix - I've never had any success on WB when the wind is strong out of the south - don't know why - just not working for me)

Been a very fustrating year for me - I've managed a few smaller fish and been one some good ones but seems like I'm there at the wrong times - mostly mid-day, bluebird post-fronts, just after moon rise etc. I guess I'm just lucky that I'm getting out on the water at all. I'm guessing there's a pretty good nite-bite going on right now.

thebeave
09-23-2006, 08:13 PM
23 Sept 4pm-7:30pm

Caught two nice Northers, one deep and one shallow. Same with the Skis, Caught a 36 incher shallow on bucktail and a 44" deep on a DR. The 44 hit my figure 8 after one turn. Water temp 59-60, wind from the North at 15, rain. Finally I get some love on WBL!

Beave

Phoenix
09-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Anyone care to fish Sunday morning on WB . Say sunrise till 12 or 1?

Steve

Dedicated Angler
09-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Fished the Croix a bit this morning

Water temps ranged from 55 - 62 degrees
Water clarity is better that usual, the weeds are still green and there are still fish in them. I had one blow up on a surface bait but no hook up. I caught a nice perch on a bulldawg (1 bulldawg fish). Nice looking bait but I have no faith in them.

MNSteveH
10-04-2006, 01:07 PM
WB temps on 10/3 were 59-61. Lake is very green, maybe mid-way thru turnover? Fish were very shallow and sluggish. Would follow a cowgirl but turned off fast near the boat, got 2 to strike a weighted viper. 9 follows, 2 hooks-up, none in the boat. All were between 30 & 40. Been pretty much the same story all year for me.

Any report on Forest - is it done turning?

Dedicated Angler
10-06-2006, 07:34 AM
White Bear and the musky god's finally gave one up for me.

Fished White bear last night. Water temps were 61-62 degrees. The weeds are browning up quite a bit but are still thick anywhere under 10' Deeper weeds look greener.
Water clarity was down a bit.
All the action we had was under 10', at sundown I scored the cutest little musky - about 30" maybe. I didn't measure it, he smacked a eagle tail. Other action came on shallow invaders and misc hair.

Phoenix
10-20-2006, 05:30 PM
DA way to go!

Wish I could have been out there too.

Fished WB from 9:30 - 4:45 today.

Water Temp 47 - 48.7 degrees depending on location.

Dragged suckers in all the usual places and saw nothing. Worked mostly 25 - 15 feet deep.

Talked to a couple of guys at the launch, non musky fishermen, who said they saw a couple of large ski's in 12 fow. Figures.

Nother bear of a day. Smelled like winter, wind out of the W, clocking around to NW. Overcast.

Steve

MNSteveH
11-06-2006, 07:50 PM
Fishing has been terrible for me for the past two weeks. It seems like after that big cold snap we had everything really scattered and has yet to group back up - not even marking bait or catching pike.

Fished WB Sat - water temps 41, fished everything from 3' to 40', cranks, dawgs, vipers&phantoms - trolled the main basin - not a single follow and couldn't mark anything on the DF.

Fished Forest Monday all day. Water temps 38 - tried everything from 3' to 25' - one very slow low follow along an inside turn in about 11'.

Where the heck are they ?? I'm guessing over the main basin following schools of bait - but it's like finding a needle in a haystack. I've got another vacation day Tues - may be my last.

MNSteveH
11-20-2006, 10:18 AM
Any open water still out there? Hoping to get out Tues and Wed.

musky moblie
11-22-2006, 12:10 PM
Is indy or tonka still open? they're finally letting me out of school for a couple of days and i'm hoping to get out at least once.

Musky Mobile
I came, I casted, I saw...nothing

Dedicated Angler
11-16-2009, 07:51 AM
Water temps on the Croix were about 66.5-68 as of Monday morning

Weeds are about where they should be, the water levels are dropping.

I missed one fish, and my buddy connected with a nice 45 x 19

Dedicated Angler
11-16-2009, 07:51 AM
Fished Bald Eagle last night.

Water temps 46 degrees

Fishing was slow, casted a bunch of wind blown spots, and saw nothing.
Trolled the same spots, nothing.

Got creative and trolled shallow flats, and got hit hooked up for a second and the fish was gone. 5 min later and I got hit again and stuck a 41" just after sundown.

Trolling 8' @ 2.5-3 mph