PDA

View Full Version : 1st Musky

Kevin
07-28-2005, 10:10 PM
Need some input on this from you Hunters. Fished the week of the 16th of July at Cedar Lake 30 miles N. of Vermillon Bay. This was my 6th year there and my Dad and I are walleye fisherman, very little casting for the toothy beast. We have had some rough fishing in the last couple of years out of the six with walleye. But it hard to switch lodges when ya know the lake. This year was great we had our limit at 8:30am with 18"ers our first morning for the big fish fry. Wendsday morning around 10:00am we pulled up on the other group we were with and my dad started jigging. Joking around they said "hey..get out here this is our hole" well I said "HEY... you don't own this lake". LOL... Well I was tierd of jigging and picked up the Abu bait caster and picked out a 5" Mud Bug,that I found at the lake the first year we came to Cedar,it has a lot action and vibrates like crazy. It was the third cast into a point of rocks that dropped to 20' and holy cow my heart was pounding, thinking it was a Northern I was excited but all the sudden this massive gray back floated to the top HOLY COW was not the term I used. I wasn't real confident with the 12lb. test I think was on my real, it was 25 minutes of letting the drag out and trying to were him out with a massive thrash on the top. Finnaly in the net 44" two pictures and a successful release, WOW that is a incrediable fish... I'm hooked on Musky now for sure, heck with the walleye...kinda. So anyway a Musky Pro was on our island that week Bob Mehsicomer, he was doing film and he did not catch anything that week but he raised some 50s he said. There was another group with him and was saying that I was a walleye rigger that I probably killed the fish using 12lb.test since I played him so long but I made sure the fish was revived before the release, he took off pretty good with a lot of power. Is it better to get the fish in quicker with heavier test or does it stress the fish out to much with lighter test and wearing the fish out? And the surface temp was 75 degrees, which I also herd that can stress the fish as well. I don't feel like I did anything wrong, but I feel good to have a great picture and the fish went back in for another battle. Comment for future reference and some tips, but I'm going to a heavier braid now. Trying to get picture on.

jonnysled
07-29-2005, 10:04 AM
always best to move with heavier equipment especially with big fish in warmer water. stress can and does kill fish and this can often times be delayed. 75 isn't crazy warm IMO and the fact that you caught, quick photoed and released is a testiment to your efforts for protecting the fish. that being said, welcome to the muskynut attitude, congratulations and best of luck with your new gear and new hobby. i'm a fanatical catch and release guy and applaud you for your catch, release and more importantly your interest to wonder what you could do in the future to ensure the success on behalf of the fish.

there is no guarantee on the delayed mortality of any fish caught, just keep doing the same as you are doing which is applaudable.

Loomis_Man
07-29-2005, 03:26 PM
Congrats on your first fish or should I say my condolences. You'll be a nut for the rest of your life. I caught my first fish on my first cast on my first trip...Honest story and I'm a true addict now. I would recommend a little stronger line than 40lb test. I use a 65lb Tuff Line and I know many people that use 80lbs. If you are trolling you may want a slightly lighter line to allow the lure to run deeper, but generally heavier is better. Make sure you have a rod that will handle this line and a reel that has the capacity needed. Best of luck and I hope to hear more great stories in the future.

REDCHAMP
07-31-2005, 02:15 PM
Congrats on your 1st. I'll bet it won't be your last.
Sounds like you did everything possible to ensure a good release. Damn hard to horse in a fish with light mono. As JS said, it's always better to get them in fast for less stress but sometimes that just isn't possible.

Breal31
07-31-2005, 04:00 PM
If you feel bad at all, I would read the post on the General Discussion forum right now about the Chippewa Flowage. It discusses how fish are surviving releases better then we expect. It sounds like you did the best job you could in getting in the fish and handling it as soon as possible. Those Canadian fish are tough, my guess is that fish is doing just fine dining on Cedar lake Walleyes as we speak. Sounds like you dealt with some Know-it-alls at your resort, welcome to Musky Fishing my friend

MNSteveH
08-09-2005, 10:19 AM
A lot of guys, myself included, caught thier first musky in a similar manner. Sounds like you did everything great. The pro you mentioned is wel known as kind-of a mouthy guy, so I would worry too much. However, if you do decide to target muskies you really should upgrade your equipment some. You don't need a "musky" rod. A 7' heavy bass rod with 65# line works great and is much more versatile. However, a big landing net and release tools are really essential to assure best handling and release.

Phoenix
08-13-2005, 09:08 AM
Sounds like bubbas crew was a bit sour bein skunked and all. let it go, they are generally not the politest or friendlyest bunch anyways.

Congrats on you fish!

Now, God help ye!

Steve

fish4musky1
08-19-2005, 09:41 PM
they were probally just jealous because they think they are the best and if they dont catch any and someone else does all they can do is negativly critisize you about it. there sore losers is what they are.

pointerpride102
08-22-2005, 05:48 PM
Congrats on the first fish...I just got mine earlier this summer...I am now an addict and am beginning to fish tournaments, no better way to get experience IMO, but beware of the addiction, it takes hold and runs your life! I'm planning school around my musky fishing not the other way around! HAHAHAHA, should be a long semester, oh well.

"wish I had a cool statement like everyone else"

Mike

LundAnglerMJ
08-21-2006, 07:08 PM
Way to go Kevin. Let me say congrat's...and welcome this "club". It's full of all types. One's that think they're the best, and humble one's too. Don't let any sour attitude make you think we're all the same. It's just like life...."like a box of chocolates". And savor EVERY MINUTE WITH DAD!!!! I miss mine so much, as he used to take me as a kid, and he stuck me with this "bug" we call fishin'. When I met Gary Roach, and Al Linder and Dave Csanda, these guys all struck me the same type of man as my Dad....honest and friendly. Full of nothing but good info, willing to share it, and would talk all day if they had the time. I got things autographed (made good Christmas gifts) and they were real men. The kind I'd want my grandson to look up to. Now, as for the first Musky, I caught mine in summer,on light line too- trolling a Rapala, and had to play it out. I'm sure it made it, as you can tell when they take off. Gear up!!!! Save your cash, as I can't even begin to tally up all the stuff. Forget the $10,000 for my Lund alone man....Ebay buyin' old Creek Chub lures.... the trips north and all around. Well, the tally would take a month's pay. More. Way more. Worth EVERY PENNY!! I got it bad.