PDA

View Full Version : Best Musky Area

REDCHAMP
04-30-2005, 12:00 AM
If you had the time and money, where would you go for a week of musky fishin between northern WI and northern Mn? Not that I have either in abundance but I might try to get back there one of these days and wonder what you guys think. Also, what time of year and if you're gong to list a big lake, where or what areas of the lake would you work. Work is good out here but sure miss the fishin back there.

coldfront
05-02-2005, 07:17 AM
It depends what you are after, a trophy 50" or better fish on a one week trip? Or a true northwoods experience with good to average muskie fishing. Big lakes 3000 acres or better? (usually equal bigger fish). Or small lakes 500- 1500 acres. Northern WI. has lots of smaller lakes and more of a true northwwoods atmosphere. Most of the big lakes in WI. and MN. have houses all around them and not much of a wilderness type atmosphere other than the Big chip, Turtle flambeau, etc. If you had the money I would just keep going north to Canada, the best of both worlds. My $.02

JAWS
05-02-2005, 09:10 AM
LOTW would be my first choice!

Catch the Fury ~JAWS

muskiebobsr
05-03-2005, 02:15 PM
If I were going to one lake I would take Cass in Minn. I would love to fish that lake again for a week. Let it Go Let it Grow Bob

MisterPike
05-04-2005, 09:32 AM
You lookin at an area?or best muskie lake to be on for a week?Just what the others said for a week,1 lake;cass,vermilion,mille lacs,lotw,etc..

Northwoods experience,with a variety of lakes/conditions/towns/eating;

Pick any area below and park it:

Lakes around leech lake,longville,area
Sawyer county Wisconsin
Any of the towns of,Wisc.,
eagle river
three lakes
land o lakes
minocqua
boulder junction
manitowish

most of the towns/areas have more musky lakes than you can shake a stick at,and you would never be able to fish them all in just one week.

Dave

MisterPike
05-04-2005, 09:36 AM
also...june thru august is pretty busy in any of the small tourist town/areas.Even vermilion can be busy in summer for being a BIG LAKE.Anyway..besides the traffic,and the more pleasant weather of summer..I would pick early july or late august.Or escape the crowds and go after labor day....you`ll almost own the water with just FISHERMAN.

Dave

jonnysled
05-09-2005, 11:30 AM
if in-fact all of minnesota is included, i'd spend the first part of my week at LOTW and the second have at Vermillion on my way home .... but then i live in the heart of the "northwoods experience" in N.WI. which is very nice if you are looking for other things along with the fishing.

muskie_addict
05-09-2005, 06:29 PM
I think MisterPike hit it on the head.

I've not fished Minnesota, other than the River down in the SE part of the state, so can't comment much on that.

But, to avoid the summer crowds and hopefully hit the weather/moon/fish mood right, I'd pick a time in late September or October and pick a campground or a hotel that's fairly centrally located and park it there for the week.

Northern/northeastern Wisconsin has so much variety. You can fish really big stuff like the Chip, you can hit big deep trophy lakes like Trout and Star (and others) in Vilas County, or you could hit any number of smaller area lakes in Vilas, Oneida, Price, Iron, Lincoln.....Counties and spend only a half day on each lake and never feel like you covered anything "too" well.

Some real jewels up there. Makes me hate having moved to Ohio even more just thinking about good times back home.

REDCHAMP
05-10-2005, 12:57 AM
Lots of good info there guys. I'm originally from Rhinelander, WI but left for the Army and ain't been back since. Work, you know. Sure miss the fishin. Still have a brother in Rhinelander. Went back once for deer season in 99. Filled my tags and had a ball.
Thank god there's a little warmwater fishin out here in Washington. It's a salmon minded state and no one gives a rats a$$ much about warmwater fisheries. Especially muskies. Eastern Wa has more warmwater fishing than this side but the work is better over here.
One of these days I'd love to come back for some REAL musky fishin.
Thanx alot for all the info guys and have a great season.

LundAnglerMJ
08-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Let me start in the Georgian Bay. Moon river delta. French Riv. area. Get a great map.The Canadian Hydrographic Service- in Ottawa makes the best. Maps #2204 and #2203. Small craft Nautical charts. They cover that entire area of the bay's shore from Parry Sound to Killarney. Many miles, but fish the islands, and the windy sides. Watch the lake. Very big water. So many "sounds" to fish on windy days too. The rivers, Pickerel, Moon, and French are not huge like the lake and fishable most days. Maps, guides are a must to learn things first. The chance to see a trophy are very good there. A lake in the states? Vermilion, in Minnesota.....Lake of the Woods too.

Rainman_
08-22-2006, 09:09 PM
I'd say LOTW if it was anywhere, but in Wi or Mn if I was looking for a hog and less pressure I'd say the Turtle Flambeau is the place to be. Do I get unlimited skegs, props, & lower units?

Rainman

dannyboy
09-07-2006, 02:00 PM
vermilion undoubtedly

f your ever interested let me know and we'll go

dan

REDCHAMP
09-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Danny,
It could happen ya know. Would I have to throw orange baits, LOL