PDA

View Full Version : H2O Hardhead - Feedback please

jackpotjohnny48
08-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Hi guys,

Anybody have any experience with the H2O Hardhead? Thinking about getting 1 or 2 and would appreciate any feedback or advice.

Thanks in advance!
"Jackpot" John Schroeder

pointerpride102
08-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Buy some. Good baits. Get the screw in weights to go along with it.

"Rodgers minus Favre, Just Packers Glory Baby!! ;)"

Mike

curleytail
08-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Yep, get them! I bought one at the MN musky show this year and love it. I haven't caught many fish total this year, but the Hardhead has been one of my top producers. Like Pointer said, you NEED the screw in weights too. They really make the bait. Can fish it anywhere from just under the surface to as deep as you want.

Crazy, awesome wobble on the pull and pause with the tail rigged up, and runs deeper with the tail down. Great bait.

curleytail

TKopke
08-07-2009, 05:32 AM
When I get more time I'll post more.

Simply put get some! I will not throw a mag dawg since fishing the Hardhead two falls ago! Most versatile rubber bait out there. Run tail up for a great wobble during retrieve and slower drop. Tail down for quicker drops similar to mag dawgs. Add weight (two different places) to customize drop speed and at what angle it drops. Turn tail off and turn new one on for color combo changes or to replace damaged tails.

Beside versatility the hooking percentage with the bait is about as good as you will get with the best hooking baits (not just the best rubber baits!) like bucktails.

Labs
08-07-2009, 07:16 AM
Are you guys working these like a Dawg?

Roger's baits are as solid as they come. Love all the Nitro's from Cranky to floating.

Thanks,

Labs

jackpotjohnny48
08-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the responses guys! One other question... which size are you finding to be most effective this time of year? I think I may only be able to buy it in either the large size or the small size. (Medium size is currently sold out if I understand things correctly, and so I probably can't get any mediums prior to next week's trip).

Generally, I would prefer to go big for this time of year, but with water temps being so far behind normal, is the big hardhead TOO big. Was planning on compromising with the medium, but that appears to not be an option.

Any suggestions on big vs small??

Thanks!
"Jackpot" John Schroeder

curleytail
08-07-2009, 10:16 PM
I would get the large size. That's what I got. I had two fish nail it withing minutes of each other not long after opener this year. Pretty much have had action on the bait all year. If you were only going to get one, I don't think I would recommend the small size.

I have worked mine using short taps like you would work a glider, to long, hard rips/pulls like with a Dawg, and anywhere in between.

Seems like the bait reacts well to any type of presentation, you just have to see what the fish want that day or time of year.

curleytail

tuffdaddy
08-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Like Travis and Curly said, get them for sure!!! Much more durable than other rubber baits and it is very inexpensive to replace the tails when they eventually get chewed to death. Easy to replace as well.

The large size is the mag dawg size so I would go with that personally. If you like to rip them hard, put the tail down and some good weight in the nose (I can never remember what size weight I use, but usually the heavier ones). I tend to use softer pulls when the tail is up and let the shimmy do the work for me. You won't be disappointed with the hardheads at all! Plus Roger is a kick butt guy.

PEteacher44
08-08-2009, 03:56 PM
I just had one of THE BEST customer service experiences with Roger! I don't need to get detailed, because I can't expect him to do the same for everyone (and I don't know the guy). He went above and beyond what was expected....THANK YOU ROGER!!

BUY A HARDHEAD...BUY 2!.....GET A NITRO WHILE YOU'RE AT IT...YOU WON'T REGRET EITHER...

Shane Mason
08-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Hmmm where to start. Well last year I caught 114 muskies on hardheads. I'd say they work pretty good ;-)
On the original prototype I caught 44 fish before I retired the bait and gave it back to Roger, the bait was still plenty fishable yet, I just didnt want to loose it. Was just a few fish into the third tail on that bait as well. After about the first 20 fish or so I did have to start patching the epoxy on occasion but with all the teeth marks in the bait easy to patch holds very well with 5 minute epoxy and your back in the game for several more fish.

But nowhere near the time I had invested in patching together other rubber baits. I had one dawg once I had 19 fish on but also had about 10 hours into patching the thing back up it was appropriately named Frankenstein. 44 on the first hardhead, maybe 30 minutes of total maintenance, and could have seen it catching another 44. Durable is an understatement.

Versatility! Right out of the package, tail up, straight crank/troll it has nice wobble, pause it it will wobble on a horizontal drop. Great for working it shallower, and slower. Short taps and it will dance.

Turn the tail down and it work it like a dawg, add a little weight 1/2 to 1oz to the front for gripping and ripping.

Even makes a good semi-topwater bait. Turn tail down. Keep the rodtip up slightly on the retrieve, just enough to keep the head out of the water and the tail will pop like a topraider, looks like a muskrat coming through the water.

Lately I have even been running double 8 colorado blades 3 inches in front of the bait during the tough days. (Caught a super chunk 48 recently doing that) Really can be worked so many different ways, it replaces several baits for me. Roger threw in a screw eye up top on some for the added ability to vertically jig these. (I think you have to ask for that though doesnt come standard) as long as they are in the water they will catch fish.

Nearly impossible to fowl up, (no more dawg balls) Casts like a dream. Excellent hooking %!! And when a fish hits it you feel it. They smash the thing. *Be sure to have a good hook cutter because you will find yourself cutting hooks quite often* Be sure to stock up on spare hooks.

I like the Large size, but have caught fish on each size. But use the large ones most of the time. Buddy of mine caught a 50.5 a couple weeks ago on the medium, so those work too. I also will go large from day one, first fish 5 casts into the opener this year was on the large hardhead. Small ones I try not to throw as much as they are too easily inhaled, they scare me just because of the way the fish hit these things.

Hodag Hunter
08-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Yea, what Shane said. I don't catch near the qty of fish he does on this bait but it works and works well.

Mr Musky
08-09-2009, 08:03 PM
I concur as well! It is by far the most versatile bait in my box. Curleytail,Travis, and Shane summed it up well as far as the different applications you can do with this bait. I cant say enough good things about Hardheads as well. Roger is an outstanding guy who provides the best customer service. Check them out. www.h20tackle.com

Craig