PDA

View Full Version : Lake mendota have muskies?

N K O B
08-06-2009, 06:25 PM
After reading the opening article by Jim Saric in the latest issue of MH on "expand the musky fishery" got me wondering about lake mendota, has this lake ever been stocked with muskie?

Just curious since monona, wingra and waubesa are decent musky water, could mendota be productive musky water??

MSKY HNR
08-06-2009, 08:16 PM
It has the potential to be an awesome body of water for ski's but unfortunately the DNR has made this a trophy pike lake instead w/ a 40" size limit on Pike. I believe some members of the cap city muskies inc club did ask if we could ever stock muskies in it if we wanted to and they said no. It has the size and forage to really put out some monsters but no go. Monona and Waubesa are kicking out big fish though and the avg size is getting bigger so it may not be needed in the end. But it does have a lot more structure than the other 2 bigger lakes....
there are muskies in there but not by stocking. Not really enough to target either...
bnelson

kipster1
08-07-2009, 05:07 PM
I believe the DNR stocked tigers for a period of two to three years. You can verify that by checking the DNR website.

muskie_nut
08-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Sure they did, but that was in the early 80s and they most certainly are all gone by now. The only muskies in Mendota are the ones that are able to survive a trip up the locks at Tenney Park. I have heard that some are killed in the locks while trying to migrate up in the spring.