PDA

View Full Version : Be carfull at Butternut Lake!!!!!

mad4skies
09-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Friend of mine went fishing there this past Saturday. Fishing was a little slow but they had a good time...until they got back to the landing. Some @#&^% took both tires off the trailer, lug nuts & all. Cost him about $150 to get 2 new ones and about a 1/2 lost in fishing time. The police they reported it to said there has been a rash of theft lately. Not sure how you can lock up your tires? Odd thing was they could have took the whole trailer since it was not locked, guess they just needed the tires. He had to use a john boat trailer to get the 16' out of the water..guess it looked very overloaded, and I bet some thought "what is wrong with that guy".

Short Strike
09-20-2009, 04:36 PM
thats some mentality, it's easier to steal from the people that work for their belongings, than work for it yourself. Karma is a beautiful thing though, hoipefully they get whats coming to them!

mad4skies
09-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Good thing they were not caught in the act...think they would have switched to "live bait" for the fishes ;-)

esox1750
09-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Is this the Butternut Lake in Price County????

If so Ill keep my ears open and report anything I hear... I live in Park Falls and there has been alot of that crap goin on around here lately!!

John

gdesario
09-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Guys, this is a big market down here in Texas. Since there are so many tournmanets, the meth whores steal fishing rods & reels, locators and other miscellaneous things from people who stay at resorts & hotels. Alot of time they hit you at the boat ramps too. Lots of broken windows & such. They seldom get caught. They sell these things on Craig's list, ebay & at flea markets.

Now if they do catch them, they do not punish them hard enough to steer them away from doing it again. Even our DNR guys had a trailer stolen while they were on the lake.

mad4skies
09-20-2009, 07:45 PM
>Is this the Butternut Lake in Price County????
>
>If so Ill keep my ears open and report anything I hear... I
>live in Park Falls and there has been alot of that crap goin
>on around here lately!!
>
>John

Yes John it is. They were only fishing there for about 1/2 the day. The officer had said the same as far as things going bad...their time will come, thanks for your input! Mark

KenK
09-21-2009, 08:46 AM
I read on another board that a 14 foot rowboat was stolen. Also trolling motors, fishing gear, and even the seats out of a Lund have been lifted this summer. People must be getting desperate. :(

wallygator
09-21-2009, 08:59 AM
We were at the landing about 7:oo pm pulling out and seen his trailer with no tires. In August one of the guys in the tournament got all his cleaned out.Seats locators,rods,tackle any thing not bolted down.I would love to load a boat with tackle and nice stuff and just lay in the weeds with a shotgun.As they get in the boat slide the pump............................
Wally x( x(

muskiemyke
09-21-2009, 09:03 AM
We don't get to shoot them in the head anymore, Steve?

jah1317
09-21-2009, 09:29 AM
A load full of buckshot in the A$$ is an idea but so is laying in the weeds with a paintball gun and whapping their vehicle a few times as well as them so the police can identify the vehicle and it's users....... plus I bet they will check the weeds before they do it again.

Jacob

curleytail
09-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Man that's bad. Locking lugnuts must be available for trailer sized studs too. Probably not a bad idea.

curleytail

coldfront
09-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Ya shoot the car with a paintball gun then you will probably be the one that gets arrested.

Breal31
09-21-2009, 10:47 AM
I also had a strange incident in Park Falls earlier this year. Came back to my trailer to find someone had undone my spare tire and just left it there leaned against the trailer.

scmuskies
09-21-2009, 10:50 AM
This is re-assuring... heading to the Park Falls area this weekend. At least I don't have the nicest boat out there, but still.

Anything w/ vehicle break-ins, or just boat / items left in the open?

sc

jah1317
09-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Yeah I am sure I would get arrested funny how the law works. They steal they get fines and a couple of days, I catch them and whack them with a few paint balls I would be locked up and sued by them saying it caused mental trama or some crap. I guess it's just better to work hard, save money and buy your stuff.......

KenK
09-21-2009, 11:09 AM
I know the Round Lake launch just east of there is known for vandelism, break-ins, and thefts too! And to think, 20 years ago you didn't even need to lock your doors up there!!

coldfront
09-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Times are tough, crackheads need money. Don't leave anything unlocked, park at a different location if you can, secluded boat landings are asking for theft.

mad4skies
09-21-2009, 05:49 PM
>I also had a strange incident in Park Falls earlier this
>year. Came back to my trailer to find someone had undone my
>spare tire and just left it there leaned against the
>trailer.

Brian,
Bet you almost caught them in the act...they heard somthing and ran I bet, Mark.

JohnMD
09-22-2009, 01:02 PM
A number of years ago a buddy of mine went to the Dells, after they checked into the room he looked out the window and saw some guy in his car trying to get the stereo out of the dash, His wife called the Police as he ran out to the car and closed the door on the crooks legs, The crook was arrested but a few months later my buddy was sued by the crook for personal injury to his legs causing him to lose time from work and income. It did get thrown out in court but still cost my buddy some bucks for a Lawyer and time off of work.

Another Story

I picked up a buddy from work (Illinois Deputy Sheriff) he put his weapon and badge in the boat when we arrived at the N.Twin Boat Landing, we went out fishing for some night time action, when we got back to the landing there was a car parked that was not there earlier then two guys get out and walk over to us, my freind was suspicious so he moved towards the locker where his badge and weapon was. The guys just wanted to know how the fishing was so we talked fishing for a while when one of the guy's asked my buddy if he wanted to buy some Meth, my buddy said let me see it, the guy showed it to him and my buddy said sure let me get my wallet, He goes to the locker gets his Badge & Weapon, You should have seen the expression on the Meth Heads face when my buddy showed them his badge and announced that they were under arrest, Called Local Sheriff who took the two away,
Result for the night - Four released, Two-Kept( Behind Bars that is )

Get A Big One: John

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.

JohnMD
09-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Meant to add, Do not Take the Law into your own hands the
Police do the job they are paid to do or you could end up like my
buddy and get sued by some *&&*&*^&*%&& Jerk

pikester
09-22-2009, 08:54 PM
>Friend of mine went fishing there this past Saturday.
>Fishing was a little slow but they had a good time...until
>they got back to the landing. Some @#&^% took both tires off
>the trailer, lug nuts & all. Cost him about $150 to get 2
>new ones and about a 1/2 lost in fishing time. The police
>they reported it to said there has been a rash of theft
>lately. Not sure how you can lock up your tires? Odd thing
>was they could have took the whole trailer since it was not
>locked, guess they just needed the tires. He had to use a
>john boat trailer to get the 16' out of the water..guess it
>looked very overloaded, and I bet some thought "what is
>wrong with that guy".

That really sucks to hear, even fishing is not sacred. I have a partial solution to locking your trailer wheels; get two 13ft lengths (or whatever is needed to reach from one wheel to the other & back again) of 3/8" wire rope with loops on both ends. Run one length through the spokes on the top of both wheels & run the other length through near the bottom of both wheels then lock each length seperately with the best locks you can afford. This is by no means foolproof but it is better than nothing. Unless the crack heads (or other theives) have a cutting torch or really good bolt cutters, they won't bother with the effort it would take. That's why you go through the trouble of using two lengths; if someone spends the time trying to hack through one length, they likely won't want to deal with the second one:D. Don't forget to unlock your rig before heading out though, it's pretty hard on the truck, also don't lose the key.

Also I guess I'm pretty paranoid about getting ripped off but whenever I'm parking my rig for more than a few minutes, I always take my sonar head units, rods, tackle boxes, etc. & lock them into the truck, hotel room or whatever. It takes a little longer to move stuff & get rolling again but I think it's well worth the effort to protect hundreds or thousands of $ worth of gear.

John.

jkahler
09-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Makes you wonder if the musky fisherman still carried guns like they did back in the day if this would still happen.

I've been lucky so far. I've often wondered what I would do if someone stole my trailer (I lock it).

Jolly Roger
09-23-2009, 07:35 AM
>Makes you wonder if the musky fisherman still carried guns
>like they did back in the day if this would still happen.

What do you mean, "back in the day"???

I know a few who still do.

Mr Musky
09-23-2009, 07:51 PM
I have a buddy who was fishing on Kentuck earlier this season only to come back to the landing and somehow noticed almost all of his lugnuts were missing, he was parked in the campground landing amongst a full parking lot and has a basic fisher trailer and he is not from Kentucky. Not sure why the heck somebody wanted his tires but they must've been spooked off. I guess it happens even at the most popular boat landing.

Mr Musky

muskiemyke
09-23-2009, 08:20 PM
couple of these might help:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21276-cat420010_TGP&id=0001921012240a&navCount=1&podId=0001921&parentId=cat420010&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true