PDA

View Full Version : New Moon Vs Full Moon?

Old School Musky
09-07-2009, 02:22 PM
I have had very little sucess during the Full Moon periods for Musky but I only fish at night in the fall .I could kick myself in the behind for not fishing this past full moon at night, because the weather was incredibly stable.The New Moon periods have always been good to me, no matter what fish im seeking provided the weather is stable.As fall approaches and baitfish gather together, I have found the Full Moon time in the fall to be incredibly tough especially at night bait fish everywhere and the moon shining down to me spells DEFEAT.Id rather have bait everywhere with no moon, mainly because thats when Ive had my best % of catch and releases during the day and night.Very very rare ive caught a Musky during the day in the full moon period but I have alot in the New Moon Phase.Ill admit im no guru at this fall fishing stuff its a time where I get very frustrated but this season, I plan on being out there til ya cant get a boat in the water.Water temps in the 50 degree range and its late October, what depths would you concentrate on and my hopes are that some big dog will give me an answer. O.S

joshclymer
09-08-2009, 06:57 AM
I would always rather fish with the moon down than up any day or night!! I have had very little success after the moon has been up for more than an hour and a half.. In the fall, if your on a cisco / tulibee lake, find where they spawn, good bet the muskies won't be too far away..

john skarie
09-08-2009, 07:02 AM
Different bodies of water will show different preferences for moon activity.

Some of the lakes I fish in MN are absolutely dymanite with a big bright full moon overhead all night long.

Others will give you nothing but a sore shoulder for your troubles after about an hour of the moon being up and sun down.

You have to learn these lakes individually, and not go by what works on one body of water or one geographical area.

JS