PDA

View Full Version : rod holders

goondad
09-06-2009, 07:42 PM
what type of rod holders do you prefer for trolling versus live bait rigging?;-)

Squad51
09-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Down East #S-10s for both.

MikeHulbert
09-06-2009, 09:48 PM
I was turned on to these and they ROCK. Amazing quality, super simple to put the rod in and take the rod out, even when the fish is hooked up.

They are NOT made of cheap plastic, very very strong and durible.

I do not represent this company in any way, they just have an amazing product.

I have the Folbe side mount with the rail kit. Awesome rod holders!

http://www.folbe.com

trophymuskie
09-07-2009, 05:32 AM
S-10's all the way I would not trust my rods or a fish of a lifetime to a plastic rod holder. They are easy to get the rod in and pull it out even with a 40+ pounder pulling on it. They can be angled both ways to help with set up and last a super long time.

I use trojan tackle components to secure them to my rig, I have raised swivel mounts out back, next are extentions so the S10's are just on the outside edge of the boat so I can easily have straight down rods and in front of those I have rail mounts.

Keep releasing them all
Richard Collin
www.trophymuskiecharters.com

joshclymer
09-07-2009, 02:22 PM
I have both Down East S-10's and Folbes on my boat, my vote goes to the Folbes.. I fish waters were 50 pound fish live and I woud trust these rod holders 100%...

muskihntr
09-07-2009, 03:34 PM
I am in the process of changing out all my down easters to folbes.

Muskie4Life
09-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Folbe's are great rod holders!! I can't see any way that these things would fail under even the worst situation. This weekend I had a reel lock up when a lure snagged a tree at 4 mph. The 80lb braid broke not the holder. If anything the holders would give you a chance against such a situation do to the flex that they have in them.

I use the risers on my front rods and was worried when I installed them about the give that they had, so I put my strongest rod I use for dawgs and cranked the drag down tight. I tried to brake the holder and couldn't do it.

If you prefer the rattle of the metal holders and your cork chewed up, I would stay away from the Folbes. I don't work for them either but I like to promote a good product.

M4L

Muskie4Life
09-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Sorry extra post

Muskie4Life
09-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Sorry extra post

trophymuskie
09-07-2009, 05:47 PM
They may live in your lake but how many actually over 40 Lbs have you caught trolling? I have dozens and the only s-10 ever to break on me while trolling was on a 47 incher just minutes after a snag.

I just can't possibly see why I would want to try anything else. I made that mistake with my power pro that I was 110% satisfied with, I got a huge spool on Tuffline ( I got it cheep ) and swore at it for a year before I thrashed it and bought more Power Pro.

If it aint broke why change it?

Keep releasing them all
Richard Collin
www.trophymuskiecharters.com

Muskie4Life
09-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Not trying to get you to switch your holders, just letting people know about the Folbes. They were made for salmon fishing not walleye or panfish. I haven't heard of a failure yet.

M4L

Lightning
09-07-2009, 09:01 PM
I have Scotty's and they are ok but I would like the quick release. I am going to give them a try. As for powerpro against Tuffline. I will take the Toughline because I had the opposite to the guy who post a few post before. Tuffline just seems to hold up better than powerpro. Use what you like!

Shane Mason
09-08-2009, 05:39 AM
Another convert from the Salty's to the Folbe's a couple years now. I fish Green Bay with them. Yes we have caught 40lbers with them in late November when its not uncommon for air temps to be in the teens and low 20's. As well as catching some incidental giant sturgeon and monster flathead's. 100% confident in the Folbe's. Definite upgrade. Also no affiliation with the company. Just giving props to a great product.

joshclymer
09-08-2009, 06:43 AM
"They may live in your lake but how many actually over 40 Lbs have you caught trolling?"

I have caught 3 trolling over 40 lbs, sure I'd have plently more, but trolling is WAY too boring, so only do it when I can not possibly stand in the boat.. 90% of my fish come from casting. I can almost guarentee you, however don't have data to back it up, that a 25 pound king is going to put much, much more stress on one of those rod holders than a 40 pound musky, thats just my opinion...

"I have dozens and the only s-10 ever to break on me while trolling was on a 47 incher just minutes after a snag."

Congrads on your success

"I just can't possibly see why I would want to try anything else. I made that mistake with my power pro that I was 110% satisfied with, I got a huge spool on Tuffline ( I got it cheep ) and swore at it for a year before I thrashed it and bought more Power Pro."

The number one reason is that I have certain trolling rods that do not lock down in the Down Eastern rod holders, and if they do, they are barely locked in and one hard wave to the side of the boat and they pop open. You fish a river where you probably don't need to deal with big waves slamming into your boat. Number two is that Down Eastern does not have anything that allows me to raise or angle rod holders. Folbes has a $10 extension that allows me to either raise my front rod holder or even angleit out further to clear my second rod holder. I think that Down Eastern makes a good solid product, but if I had the option to rig my boat with DE or Folbes, my boat would be rigged with Folbes..

BTPF
09-08-2009, 07:29 AM
I'll stick with the down east rod holders. Steel is stronger than plastic.

Shep
09-08-2009, 07:36 AM
I'm on my 5th year with Folbe Rod Holders. Great product. These are designed by Salmon anglers up in the NW corner of the US. Chinook slamon up and over 70 pounds are caught and these rod holders handle them. I'm not lying when I say that a chinook salmon strike is way more violent than that of a muskie. These rod holders are built tough. They are not plastic. Do a search on here, and you'll find more discussion on these. Easy to use once, and easy to adjust to many applications.

Folbe Rod Holders are not plastic. But then, Salty's are not steel, either.

F_ast
09-08-2009, 09:09 AM
I have not got into rod holders yet, but am looking for some from the upcoming fall season.

What is the method of choice for securing holders to an aluminum? I have a 2006 Lund Outfitter SS 1750, with a skinny top rail. Anyone have pics? I look at the ads and don't really see how they fasten.

Squad51
09-08-2009, 06:01 PM
For the S-10's, you can clamp right over that gunnel cap.

To avoid dinging the paint I put some craft store cork sheeting on the clamp surfaces with Goop contact cement and trim back excess with fresh utility knife. Works ok for me.

For the other/s you can put the mounting bracket right on the SportTrak rail plate and good to go I would think.

http://www.lundboats.com/backer_sporttrak.html

Phoenix
09-09-2009, 12:45 AM
>I have not got into rod holders yet, but am looking for some
>from the upcoming fall season.
>
>What is the method of choice for securing holders to an
>aluminum? I have a 2006 Lund Outfitter SS 1750, with a
>skinny top rail. Anyone have pics? I look at the ads and
>don't really see how they fasten.

Look at this site: [http://www.pursuitsports.com/]

I set up with their stuff combined with s10's on the gunnels and absolutely love it. Very high quality.

Worth a look.

Steve

Shane Mason
09-09-2009, 05:38 AM
Yep I will second the Traxstech stuff, it is awesome. Works with the Folbe's too.

Phoenix
09-09-2009, 06:40 AM
>For the S-10's, you can clamp right over that gunnel cap.
>
>To avoid dinging the paint I put some craft store cork
>sheeting on the clamp surfaces with Goop contact cement and
>trim back excess with fresh utility knife. Works ok for me.
>
>For the other/s you can put the mounting bracket right on
>the SportTrak rail plate and good to go I would think.
>
>http://www.lundboats.com/backer_sporttrak.html

I have these also in my boat and use them extensively for walleye fishing. THey are also handy for the kids when they get tired of holding their rods. As well as they are made, I would be very concerned about hitting a snag trolling a 14" Jake at 3-4 mph. I suspect they would explode. Same goes for a 40lb class musky strike.

Steve

JasonSchillinger
09-09-2009, 09:50 PM
I'll second, third and fourth the folbes. I switched from Down East 3 years ago and have enjoyed trolling more as a result. We are testing these holders on large Green Bay fish as well, and they have not failed. Even more stressful than a big fish, though, are snags, hooked to lures on line spooled on a reel without the drag backed off properly...oops. The folbes have not budged, and I am sure my line, or rod will break before the holder will. With that said, I actually feel these holders are tougher than my down easters were. The design takes a great concept(down east) and improves upon it by making the rear of the holder stationary, allowing a child of 3 to be able to remove a rod, no lifting and yanking required. That said, I still love my down east for my small boats, where I need clamp on holders. They sure are handy.