PDA

View Full Version : Moon phases

T Bone
09-03-2009, 08:33 PM
If you watch "feeding windows" - majors and minors, they don't always follow "moon phases" (moon rise/set or sunrise/set). Which do you guys find better "majors" and "minors" or moonrise/set and sunrise/set? I always thought moonrise/set at the same time as sunrise/set especially during new or full moon was primetime. I have also noticed majors and minors seem to have a stronger affect on panfish and walleyes than they do on muskies. Any thoughts?

1morecast
09-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Unless you have the chance to fish a lot, it's tough to have the data to say one way or another. I have seen many times when good fishing coincides with a major or minor moon phase, but I have seen just as many other times when it doesn't seem to make the fishing beter. I always try and fish any positive moon phase becuase it doesn't hurt to have everything possible going with you, but I don't let it be THE deciding factor. The more I fish, the more I think that weather and fishing pressure far out weigh the moon phase.

MNSteveH
09-03-2009, 10:16 PM
My observations closely match the info Tom Gelb discussed in his MH article a while back. When wether conditions are stable I think the moon has an important influence, but weather trumps moon phase. I greatly prefer to fish when the moon is down, It's a rare day that I catch a fish when the moon is up. Before moonrise is better than after moonset. The full moon rise occurs about the same time as sunset and new moon sets at about the same time as sunset. During the full moon period the best general time is mid-day when the moon is "under foot" The absolute worst time to fish is right after moon rise, no matter when it occurs, but just after full moon rise can be terrible, even when the period just before it was fantastic. When you can find a window when both moon and sun are down those times can be great, but they don't last for long. But with all this said, fish don't follow rules so there's always an exception.

Steve Heiting
09-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Hi:

Always remember, weather first, moon second. However, even on days with the poorest weather conditions, the moon might yield your only action of the day.

The moon can be funny. Today the action around moonrise is phenomenal with multiple fish showing up; tomorrow nothing happens at moonrise. All that does is underscore the fact there is no sure thing in musky fishing, but there can be a lot of good brought by the moon. :7

Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

KenK
09-04-2009, 08:30 AM
This weekend, full moonrise and sunset are ocurring at almost the same time. It's always been great for me!! :P

gdesario
09-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Just curious what everyone uses to find the moon rise\sets for the day for a given area?

KenK
09-04-2009, 09:20 AM
I use the Moon Phases on this site. You are able to pick state and city.

junkman
09-04-2009, 09:23 AM
First, if you have a Lowrance, press menu twice, scroll down to Sol-Lunar tables and then press enter. You will see sun rise and set and moon rise and set as well as how full the moon is. WARNING: It does not show the correct time in that window so you have to remember to set your correct time elsewhere in the unit to the appropriate daylight savings time or else your information can be an hour off. (Yea I did that wrong for almost a month once) Second, I fished hard for six hours last Saturday without seeing a fish, then fished the same six hours on the same water Wednesday as the moon became full and saw 7 or 8 fish. ( only boated one...but that's fishing)The moon phase makes a big difference for me.

TKopke
09-04-2009, 10:12 AM
So we have had this discussion on another board over the winter. Some say the moon stuff matters, and some say it doesn

Justin C
09-04-2009, 10:51 AM
"Just curious what everyone uses to find the moon rise\sets for the day for a given area?"

GPS

JRedig
09-04-2009, 10:52 AM
>I greatly prefer to fish when
>the moon is down, It's a rare day that I catch a fish when
>the moon is up. Before moonrise is better than after
>moonset. The full moon rise occurs about the same time as
>sunset and new moon sets at about the same time as sunset.
>During the full moon period the best general time is mid-day
>when the moon is "under foot" The absolute worst time to
>fish is right after moon rise, no matter when it occurs, but
>just after full moon rise can be terrible, even when the
>period just before it was fantastic. When you can find a
>window when both moon and sun are down those times can be
>great, but they don't last for long. But with all this said,
>fish don't follow rules so there's always an exception.
>
>

I would have to say there's more than a single or even 10 exceptions to the things you listed here. You are flat out missing out on some of the best fishing right now if you think it's worst when the moon is rising or up vs down. And I am speaking about your local waters. Wise to fish when you can and not think yourself out of fish before even hitting the water. ;-)

gdesario
09-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Okay, for those who have older GPS units that may not have this feature, I will have to check mine to see if it has this type of info, I was looking for a website or something that people use to find these times when they are up at lakes in Canada.

JOCKO
09-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Last night ,,, 7:00 pm ,,, sun setting + moon rising = 30+ pounder ,,,,,,, Jocko:-)

Justin C
09-04-2009, 01:11 PM
what unit do you have? The oldest GPS I have is a 7 years old Garmin - and its there....

Northwind Mark
09-05-2009, 08:49 AM
I fish whenever I get the chance. Factors that determine my outings whether one day, half day, or weekend are many.

Weather is near the top of the list of factors, but not most important, I have good gear.

I check moon phase last, just for fun, to see how it stacks up. Not a determining factor for me..........at all. Cooler's packed, I'm going when I can, given half the chance.

But I do believe that being out on the right phase may or may not make a difference.

MNSteveH
09-06-2009, 12:34 AM
TKopke, yeah I see your point and totally I agree with you. When you've got tough conditions then moon periods - especially just before moon rise - can be the make-or-break time. On the other hand, what I was referring to is when you got a nice front moving in, then I don't care what the moon's doing.

And all you other nay-sayers, I agree that there are always exceptions and fish don't follow rules, but you should take the time to understand what guys like Joe Bucher and Tom Gelb are telling us about moon periods.

lpmaure
09-06-2009, 05:16 PM
When fishing in Canada, I use sun/moon rise/setting info from this web site: [http://www.almanac.com/]. The site also gives weather forecasts. When fishing in the USA, the Musky Hunter Moon Secrets ([http://www.muskyhunter.com/moonsecretscharts.shtml]) is hard to beat.

Phoenix
09-07-2009, 09:25 PM
> I fish whenever I get the chance. Factors that determine
>my outings whether one day, half day, or weekend are many.
>
>Weather is near the top of the list of factors, but not most
>important, I have good gear.
>
>I check moon phase last, just for fun, to see how it stacks
>up. Not a determining factor for me..........at all.
>Cooler's packed, I'm going when I can, given half the
>chance.
>
>But I do believe that being out on the right phase may or
>may not make a difference.

Exactly.

Does anyone really base their decision to go out and fish or not on what the moon phase is?

If you go to Canada for a week do you fish as much as possible or, only fish when the moon phase looks good?

Do you not fish on the weekends until the moon is just right?

Does the moon phase matter. Probably. Does it really have any influence on when anglers fish, and therefore have any real relevancy? Probably not.

Steve

joshclymer
09-08-2009, 06:52 AM
I agree with what TKopke stated 110%.... What he has seen from his experience is almost exactly what I have seen.. Someone stated up above that directly following moonrise is the "worst" time to fish.. HHHMMMM..... In 2007 my absolute best time when I caught 31 fish in the month of July with 7 of those over 50", was the the hour after moonrise.. I could pull picture after picture of the moon in the background and up for 45 min - 1 hour..

Jolly Roger
09-09-2009, 04:42 PM
I just go fishin. Like Mark said, really.

And the only time that I place an interest on moon phase that might affect my outing is late fall. Very late fall. But it's taken a while for me to learn that.....

I guess I believe that a moon phase matters, but the weather and the wife are checked first. Always.