PDA

View Full Version : SI Jinx

gdesario
09-02-2009, 09:42 AM
This should be a fun thread, it is reported that Rodgers will be on the cover of SI that comes out this week. Not sure which is worse, the Madden cover Jinx or the SI cover jinx.

REPETESPINNERMAN
09-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Other than Mr. Old and Cold, what other players have been on Madden?

I think this months SI also has a story on the NFLs biggest "divas". Care to guess who is listed as the NFLs biggest?
One rising star and one falling huh?

OK...I'll give it 12 posts before joloz starts name calling and getting it locked down.

-------------------
I'm not up to the challenge anymore. I can play, but I'm not up to the challenge. Believe me, I've questioned my decision. I believe it's the right decision. AND THERE'S NOTHING THEY CAN DO OR SAY TO CHANGE THAT.

Brett Favre Retirement Press Conference #1 Transcript - March 6, 2008

We'll never forget you Brent.

gdesario
09-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Check out Peter King's projections:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/09/01/main/index.html?eref=sihpT1

He has the Bears beating Packers to go to the Super Bowl. Then the Bears playing New England. I think he might be a little ambitious on that one. While I expect the Bears to make the playoffs, I do not see them going to the SB this year. Secondary will hurt them bad this year, I have a feeling. Man I hope Peter is correct!!

Lars
09-02-2009, 11:17 AM
>Other than Mr. Old and Cold, what other players have been on
>Madden?
>
Shaun Alexander was on it after Seatle lost the supebowl, didn't he break his leg the next year?

esoxcpr
09-02-2009, 05:17 PM
The "Madden Curse" affected the following players who have appeared on the cover of the video game:

1989 - 1999 had John Madden on the cover.

2000 - John Madden on cover with an inset of Barry Sanders. He graced the cover in the prime of his career and promptly 'retired' never playing a down ever again.

2001 - Eddie George. Led his team to the Super Bowl in 2000. Hampered by nagging injuries in '01, his production was an all time low to that point in his career.

2002 - Daunte Culpepper. Took the Vikings to the NFC Championship game in '01. Vikes finished 5-11 and he sustained a serious knee injury (and has never fully recovered) and missed the final 5 games.

2003 - Marshall Faulk. Following 4 straight seasons of 1300+ yards and 2 of the past 3 years taking his team to the Super Bowl, Faulk finished under 1000 yds and the Rams were a disappointing 7-9 and missed the playoffs.

2004 - Michael Vick. Suffered fractured right fibula in a preseason game one day before the video game hit store shelves. Played a bit at the end of the year but Falcons finished 5-12.

2005 - Ray Lewis. Suffered torn right hamstring in game 6 and sat out remainder of season. Ravens finished 6-10.

2006 - Donovan McNabb. Quoted prior to season about the injuries to players on the Madden cover that it "might be a trend, but I don't believe in the curse at all." Suffered sports hernia in game 1, played with the injury for 8 games before deciding on surgery which ended his season. Eagles had 5 straight playoff runs prior to that year and ended up finishing last in the NFC East.

2007 - Shaun Alexander. Broken left foot and missed 6 games. Was never the same following the injury.

2008 - Vince Young. Quadriceps injury to right leg in 5th game and missed following start, the first time in his entire football career (since middle school) that he didn't start a game. Was yanked from the starters job and replaced by Kerry Collins early in '09.

2009 - Brent Favor. Was on the cover in a Packers uniform. Got traded to the Jets the week the game hit store shelves. Jets got off to fast start, then Brent hurts shoulder and they limp to the finish, missing the playoffs in the final game of the season.

2010 - Larry Fitzgerald & Troy Polamalu. ??? Stay tuned

Ozbie
09-02-2009, 10:08 PM
>Other than Mr. Old and Cold, what other players have been on
>Madden?
>
>I think this months SI also has a story on the NFLs biggest
>"divas". Care to guess who is listed as the NFLs biggest?
>One rising star and one falling huh?
>
>OK...I'll give it 12 posts before joloz starts name calling
>and getting it locked down.
>
>-------------------
>I'm not up to the challenge anymore. I can play, but I'm not
>up to the challenge. Believe me, I've questioned my
>decision. I believe it's the right decision. AND THERE'S
>NOTHING THEY CAN DO OR SAY TO CHANGE THAT.
>
>Brett Favre Retirement Press Conference #1 Transcript -
>March 6, 2008
>
>We'll never forget you Bre

gdesario
09-03-2009, 06:57 AM
Here is a link to the "jinxed" SI cover people for each decade, interesting stuff:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/cover/2002/jinx/main/

coldfront
09-03-2009, 07:19 AM
If it is any consolation I think SI also picked the Bears to win the division. Not good.
Go Bears!!