PDA

View Full Version : Tyrant Jerkbait Question

jackpotjohnny48
08-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Hi guys,

Has anybody used the new Tyrant Jerkbait from Justin Gaiche? If so, what do you think of it?

Thanks in advance for any feedback,
"Jackpot" John Schroeder

C_W_Muskys
08-03-2009, 11:58 PM
Not a bad bait at all. I don't fish jerkbaits too much, but I think it works pretty easy. Havn't caught a ski on it yet, but I've gotten a few pike and they hit that thing HARD.

8inchcrank
08-04-2009, 05:23 AM
Naturally I like it so go on a brag rampage, but we've had some great reports, I've been catching some fish on it and really look forward to the fall where I think it will best shine for me. Just a heads up, our new bodies will arrive this week and it should be no time before we're available more widely. We made the nessecary changes to slightly improve the action, strengthen the body, sturdy the paint and improve the hooks. Overall, this is a much better bait than our first run. We're also working on some cool additions to our line up for next year.

whynot
08-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Worked for me. Used it for the first time to cast back on a fish I raised on a DCG. Second cast with the lure, fish on! Only problem was the stupid fish came up to the surface and did some massive headshakes, then threw the lure when she got back under the water.

Haven't been able to use it since I lost it to the bottom of the lake the second trip out. Word of advice, don't try to bomb cast the Tyrant, if you get a backlash the line will probably snap...

TimG
08-04-2009, 09:44 AM
I HATED it. I spent more time trying to bend the eye to get it run any way other than kicking to one side than fishing it. I wore the front of it out that day, and it never helped. I had to resist chucking it up on the bank several times. Meanwhile, my buddy moved a bunch of fish with his (which he also had to bend the eye ridiculously to one side on) and bascially took me to school with it. He caught a mid 40's the weekend before. Nobody we talked to was seeing anything, but he had fish rolling all over it. He's the best fisherman I know, though. So my assessment would be, if you have skill and patience, they are very effective if you get a good one. I'd rather take a beating than to throw another one, but a skilled fisherman can catch fish with them. I guess the fish don't care if it only kicks to one side. I'm guessing this is a result of the big tail, which probably triggers the fish in the first place. Not for me, but they sure work if you can stand them.

WI Skis
08-04-2009, 10:26 AM
When can we expect the new version in stores, cause mine broke before it even hit the water. I took the tail out and slid it back in and the body split on both sides of the tail. I was really excited for this bait also, hope the next one is better.

Peter

chuckski
08-05-2009, 06:47 AM
I used to fish with all the new baits (looking for that magic bullet)but the last few years have backed off the amount of lures i buy and just fish my old favorates.My favorate is the old Eddie and I have a number of these that have never seen the water one of these days i'm going to have them custom painted in colors I really like.

tilky
08-05-2009, 09:56 AM
The new version of the Tyrant will be out in stores in the next 2 weeks. We changed they weight and reinforced the tail section. You should have no problems with this new lure. If you have any problems please send me an email. tilky@centurytel.net

musky_n8
08-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Ya both of my Tyrants run to one side. plus they hardly fall, not weightted right. Think they would of tested the first ones before they put that junk out. Oh great the good ones be out soon!! Now they got it right. ha give me a break. I will not give another chance. Why would sell junk the first time around. Whats to say this round be differnt. Is it a glide bait? Cause mine goes one way. Or is It a bulldawg type? Should be able to turn the two junk ones I have in, for the ones that work. That is what a good company would do.

mooskiedude
08-10-2009, 12:53 PM
I just bought my tyrant last week at rollie&helens got about fifteen casts with it before i noticed that the rear tail area is cracking,no impact other than water,& also noticed when sharpening hooks ,that the hooks were very soft &marred up easily w my file,my question is, i like the bait ,so should i take it back to rollie&helens for my money back or will they have updated version on their shelves?

C_W_Muskys
08-10-2009, 04:16 PM
I bought 2 the very first week they were out and I have had no problems at all with mine. They run fine and have been holding up great.
It's not always easy to predict what will happen when you mass produce something. You can test single baits all you want. However, when you start making 1,000s of them in one run, you are bound to run into problems. Especially with a new company.
Justin is a good guy, doing what he loves. I've never known him to be dishonest or unreliable. I'm sure these problems are bugging the hell out of him and he won't rest until they are resolved.

rkoepke
08-10-2009, 08:50 PM
That bait has great action...like any product the first run will need some tweaking....Justin is a good guy who will take care of you. Great action on that bait.

curleytail
08-10-2009, 09:01 PM
To those that have problems with the bait, and are slamming it and saying they won't give them a 2nd chance... why not contact the manufacturer before complaining to the world about it? If I have had a problem with a bait or something similar, I have contacted the manufacturer. More times than not (actually, can't think of when I haven't been helped), they have more than done right by me.

I had a pretty new, never caught a musky M/G spinnerbait that the arm snapped clean off on a backlash once. I figured it was a fluke since this was a pretty popular bait. I emailed Lindy about it, and in pretty short order, Ted T. emailed me asking what color the bait was and my address. Soon after I had two M/Gs, one in the color that broke, and another different color for free.

Had a problem with a BOTTLE of Hot Sauce oil. Emailed them, and got a new bottle, a tube of grease, and a free hat.

Most manufacturers will more than make up for any hardships their products caused.

curleytail

tilky
08-11-2009, 07:10 AM
If anyone has any problems with their current Tyrant please send me an email. tilky@centurytel.net or feel free to call me direct 920 866 1105 . I can assure you we did not put out a junk lure. Our prototypes worked great and we had plenty of pro staff testing them. We'll stand behind our product 100%.

mooskiedude
08-11-2009, 12:16 PM
this is a big THANKS to tilky ,thank you for taking care of my issue with the tyrant I purchased,very stand up guy and company to put as much effort in to make me and all of his customers happy,!see u on the water......

musky_n8
08-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Well when you buy two, right away, and both don't work. What is a guy suppose to think? What type of action is it suppose to have anyway? I guess maybe calling it junk was going a little far. I can't call it a good lure as it hangs in my garage, because their is no sence in having them in the boat taking up space.

curleytail
08-12-2009, 08:01 PM
> Well when you buy two, right away, and both don't work.
>What is a guy suppose to think? What type of action is it
>suppose to have anyway? I guess maybe calling it junk was
>going a little far. I can't call it a good lure as it hangs
>in my garage, because their is no sence in having them in
>the boat taking up space.

Wow... Did you not read the post from Tilky? I'm guessing he'll replace the baits for you. Why not try some new ones and see how they work? Seems like a no-lose situation to me. Or you could just keep complaining.

curleytail

8inchcrank
08-30-2009, 06:09 AM
FYI, the new bodies have arrived and are shipping or have shipped to retail stores. I'm glad to read on here that people were having success with the previous lure. For those who say the bait doesn't sink, it's not suppose to sink fast. I built this lure because I fish the Wisconsin River, in and around structure a lot, seldom in more than 6' of water. With the lure turning to one side like it is suppose to, I can pop the bait and stop it in a space between to logs. BANG!, T-Boned. The issue I have heard from most people is that they are working it waaaay too hard. This bait has a tapered nose and is suppose to be a dream to pull through the water. Because a lot of large pull baits work hard, it is the norm to pound on this. If you take it way easier with the bait, you'll be much, much, much happier with it. We did make a couple gram weight difference to this which make it run a bit better. Other modifications are a better primer so the paint lasts longer and better hooks. I'm in the bait shop at Gander Mtn right now and its 44 degrees outside, it appears the time for this lure to shine is right around the corner!

welldriller
09-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks to Justin and Jeff. I received my new bait today, and I appreciate the leaders you sent with them.

WI Skis
09-01-2009, 05:08 PM
I just got my replacement bait in the mail today also. I must say that I recieved some great customer service. If anyone has any problems just shoot them an email.

Peter

muskybait
09-02-2009, 07:54 AM
Great bait, needed a little adjustment but works fine. It does need to be finnesed. It is not a hard glide bait. We doubled on that bait this spring with nothing after, but am looking forward to it this fall. Justin and Tilky you get a thumbs up from me;-) TC

Baldy
09-03-2009, 08:12 AM
will the bad ones be removed from the shelves so guys can be assured they are getting a new and improved version? or will they have to make use of the bad stock before the new ones are sold?

tilky
09-03-2009, 11:13 AM
All the old versions have been replaced at the store level. So there should not be a problem.