PDA

View Full Version : Spiral wrapped guides on custom rods?

raldo1
09-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Has anyone else saw one of these? or better yet fished with one. I ran into a friend with one and he says they are great, he couldnt really explain why though.

CharlieTeuton
09-02-2009, 05:57 AM
I have a couple of spiral-wrapped rods (aka Tennessee Twist), for musky & bass. They work fine, but I am not certain they have significant advantages for muskies except when one uses a throwback lure or when is using light superline. I believe their real advantage shines when one is pitching/flipping lures.

junkman
09-02-2009, 06:25 AM
Are you talking about the line guides that are just a coiled stainless wire as opposed to the more traditional wire loop that contains a ceramic insert?? A lot of the premium bass rods come that way now (G. Loomis is one) and I, for one, am really preferring the change. As you know, the super-braids can wear grooves in the ceramic, and if you are like me, you are breaking ceramic inserts and then having your line in danger when you fail to notice it right away.

row troller
09-02-2009, 06:37 AM
the wire guides are called snake guides and are more normal to be found on fly rods.

here is a example of spiral guides

http://www.musky.com/Features/CustomRods.htm

spiral guides induce some torque into a blank and a high modulus graphite may have a issue with that.

this first showed up on heavy lifting rods for saltwater bottom fishing because it removes or lessens the torque on the handle of the rod so long fights dont wear out the angler as much.

I dont really see a reason for it on musky rods but I also wouldent knock someone for thinking they are better off with it.

junkman
09-02-2009, 07:23 AM
My Bad! Sorry I didn't understand. Still like the coiled line guides though!!

muskybait
09-02-2009, 07:36 AM
I have a few friends that own them. They seem fine but my problem comes with the bouncing around in the boat. Unless you take the time to incase them between lakes and normal running around they bounce on some of the eyes. Its not a big deal, but it is in a couple years. They seem to cast just fine.

jeffintoronto
09-02-2009, 09:23 AM
At first I had no idea what meant, until I clicked the link (thanks).

I just started using one (Walker Tournament Twist) for dipsys and downriggers. The Tournament Twist is heavily used for these applications in Great Lakes fishing.

I'm not sure about the major benefits for Musky fishing. Aren't the blanks designed to flex based on how the guides are set up?

muskie_nut
09-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Another advantage is that they keep the line off the blank during high loadings (the bending of the rod).

Not sure if that make much of a diff thou....

JasonSchillinger
09-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Been running spiral wrapped rods for a couple seasons, and am in the process of having a few of my Tooth Tamers converted over. I really like the setup for bucktail fishing, where improved cast distance, and little drag on the rod with these big bladed lures, seems to help. Less noise/friction, and better overall handling are also benefits. Not 'the' selling point, but fighting a fish is more pleasant with guides on the bottom of the rod as it is allowed to work as intended, line conacting only the guides, being pulled down, not over/around the rod. It has a drawback in travel with guides being point of contact, but one just needs to be aware. If it is something you've contemplated, sample one. There are alot of rod builders who use and know the process well.

Jason Schillinger
Tooth Tamer Rods