PDA

View Full Version : trolling outfit hook keeper

Gare
08-30-2009, 07:01 PM
NOt much use for that in my area Tom, no trolling allowed!!:7 Pretty nice idea though. Personally I dont even hook my lures on the hook hanger that comes with the rods because in the past I tried that and stuck my hand to the hook because the lure covers the cork grips, I just hang em on the big eye support. We have frost warnings out for tonite too. The chain looks like crap its so dirty..... take care Gare.

Squad51
08-30-2009, 08:59 PM
ya these new 40" leaders were too long to hook lure on line guide frame. Getting cool here too, but that means less dog hair on the sofa heh heh.

muskysucker1
08-31-2009, 08:36 PM
Thats pretty slick. I will give it a try

Steve Heiting
09-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Hi:

Problem with that setup is your lure's hooks will still be somewhat near your line with the potential to bounce and (if your hooks are as sharp as they should be) cut or nick your line.

The best way to keep your lure attached between spots, regardless if you cast or troll, is to hang the forward hook of the lure on the handle of your reel, which places it about two inches from your line.

Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Hunter4
09-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Steve,

Way to go and pee all over this guys invention. Life must be pretty rough up in the ivory tower.:P

Steve Heiting
09-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Hi Dave:

Sorry, but if you've ever had line break on a cast about where it would be rubbing against a lure's hooks, and lost the lure, you'll understand why I posted what I did. I learned this the hard way about 20 years ago ... favorite bait, to the bottom, after having mysterious breaks a couple times previously with floating lures.

Switched to hanging the lure's front hook on the reel handle and have never experienced this since.

Thank goodness I didn't lose a fish to a nicked line.

Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

row troller
09-01-2009, 11:09 AM
>Hi:
>
>Problem with that setup is your lure's hooks will still be
>somewhat near your line with the potential to bounce and (if
>your hooks are as sharp as they should be) cut or nick your
>line.
>
>The best way to keep your lure attached between spots,
>regardless if you cast or troll, is to hang the forward hook
>of the lure on the handle of your reel, which places it
>about two inches from your line.
>
>Steve Heiting
>
>www.steveheiting.com

x2

I have done this for years and my trips between "spots" is bouncing down the road with the row troller on the trailer :)

Squad51
09-01-2009, 12:42 PM
*SIGH* My $30 TDR trolling rods don't come with hook keepers. I tried to hang it on the reel handle, but as depicted I have a low budget 6-tooth anti-reverse reel that is a little sloppy.

Additionally some of the trolling lures I use in Milwaukee metro tend to be smaller, often the hook will go onto the reel handle ok but don't come off so easy. As far as something like a 9" or 13" Grandma, for me, no matter where I stick the lure it will find the line sooner or later. Esp. bouncing across the lake in an aluminum boat.

It was born out of frustration and has worked for me so far. Like it says on the info-mercials: Results not typical, your results may vary.

Good Fishing to all.

C Juhas
09-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Not to jump on the peeing match but another option is to drill a shallow hole in the back side of the finger grip and you can hook the front hook of the bait in there.

Squad51
11-16-2009, 07:46 AM
G-B cable tie, Bucher split ring... and voila'