PDA

View Full Version : Kicking Minnow

chuckski
08-30-2009, 02:57 PM
I just bought a 10" Kicking minnow and the hooks look kinda small for this size lure.For anyone who used this lure any input?

row troller
08-30-2009, 03:54 PM
yep...upgrade them

Ifishtolive
08-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Buy good hooks! Don't make the same mistake I did. I bought some 4/0 from Basspro red Matzuo. Nice hooks but too light for muskies! I lost a fat 45-48" er and it was the hook that failed at boatside leading it thrashing toward the net! Hook bent out and lost the fish would have been my PB!! Switched to Mustad 3551's next 40" no problem! Don't know what color you picked but pearl is the ticket!
Watch for lazy follows and look all around behind your bait I had at least 8 fish come in from the sides like they were picking up the vibration and finally found it left or right of my Minnow I was watching behind and they slammed in like a barracuda from the side! Slow steady retrieve all the way in and 12-16"'s from rod tip when you move into your eight, big circles to keep action on the bait.
and if you do like I did and come up too and run out of water, slam it right back down hard! That's how I got that 48" to commit! I was bring the Minnow in about to start my eight and their she was, I had made one or two 8's and was starting in on my third and Sh!! I'm about to run ou of water! All I could think of was pull it out and slam it back into the water, She unglued on and the fight was on or I thought till the hook failed! Hard lesson!!

Rollie and Helen's has a great variety of hooks!

BLL_BIGFISH
08-30-2009, 07:51 PM
I upgraded to 4/0 hooks... I use mostly VMC Pyramid Point for my crankbaits. Also upgraded split-rings.

Steve Heiting recommended it to me.

MikeHulbert
08-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Have gone through hundreds and hundreds of Kickin Minnows over the past few years...literally.

I use Eagle Claw 774, 4/O's.

junkman
08-31-2009, 01:34 PM
I think the 4-0 is about as big as you can go without having the back and the front hook engaging each other in a bothersome way now and again but I still like the Mustad 5-0 for hooking and keeping hooked.

chuckski
08-31-2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks guys!!:7 :7 :7 :7 :7