PDA

View Full Version : "Singing" Luna 300

Frazier
08-30-2009, 07:47 AM
Hi Guys --

Any advise on how to quiet my; lightly used, 3-year-old, Luna 300? Occasionally when I cast I get a very small vibration sensation and the spool starts to "sing" (it sounds like heck).

What's the actual problem? Is it a simple fix, or do I need to send it in.

Thanks
--Frazier

RWSCHMITZ
08-30-2009, 08:02 AM
When my dog starts to sing he's really bad to !!!! Have you oiled the spool bearings ???? any maintenance to the reel in 3 years ????

Frazier
08-30-2009, 08:07 AM
If to "oil the spool bearings" means taking the real apart, then no. Just outside cleaning and lubing has been done.

--Frazier

RWSCHMITZ
08-30-2009, 09:33 AM
I would send the reel to DAIWA in CA. I would say that the spool bearings are toast and the pinion and main gear needs to be looked at to see if they need to be replaced also.

stushsky
08-30-2009, 12:06 PM
my 2 lunas went strong without a single problem for five years with only opening up the "easy" side and frequently cleaning / oiling / greasing what i could until two weeks ago. suddenly during a retreive i heard a bit of a squealing sound and on the very next cast it froze up on me. after getting it home i found the parts drawing that came with them and torn down the "hard" side of the reel for the first time since new. it amazed me the dark "crap", dirt mixed in with the original oil i suppose, that i found in there. after carefully taking everything apart i found a tiny hold-down screw had came out of its' hole and jammed up the main gear which caused the "freeze-up". i cleaned all the parts with wd40 dried them then re-greased / re-oiled and put back together. it now is as smooth as new with all the build-up removed from the "hard" side. the "hard" side wasn't as difficult to tear down and reassemble as i had expected...just be careful and put everything back in the order it came out! having my other luna opened up side by side with the one i torn down helped too. worst case...you tear it down, clean it out and can't find the problem or can't solve the problem by re-lubing...then send it in for repairs. check their website you may an authorized repair center near you.

Joel Wick
08-30-2009, 12:44 PM
A drop of oil on the arbor/axle of the plastic levelwind gear on the left (non-handle) side of the reel will stop the singing. It's the plastic gear with the small screw for an axle located in the removable sideplate that is the culprit. The gears of the levelwind system tend to vibrate when they get dry.

Also oil, not grease, the roller bearings located just inside the handle when and if the anti-reverse begins to slip.

Frazier
08-31-2009, 07:06 AM
Thanks Joel, but I'm having trouble finding exactly where you mean. Does the reel need to be taken apart?

--Frazier

UPDATE!
Never mind -- I didn't realize the other side unscrewed. I now see what you're talking about. Thanks for the help.

Frazier
09-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you, Joel! I just unscrewed the side plate (I didn't know you actually could), and put a few drops of oil on screw/gear and BINGO, no more "singing" and it's smooth as silk.

Anyone that has a Luna 300 (or AC300 I'm assuming) should remember: THE SIDE PLATE UNSCREWS -- what could be more easy.

Thanks again.
--Frazier

BLL_BIGFISH
09-01-2009, 10:49 AM
I noticed the side-plate the hard way... it came loose and fell off on me... fortunately on the boat floor and not into the lake.

Over the winter I cleaned and lubed 3 St. Croix AC300A's, and note they are not bad to work on. Only a few parts are possible to install backwards, etc.

I complete break down my reels and lube them annually, and have never had a reel problem due to maintenance... except once (years ago on an ABU) I just used oil (no grease), and there are a few places where grease is better.

MNSteveH
09-02-2009, 07:53 PM
I have some old c3's that "sing" too. In this case it's the plastic gears that drive the worm gear. Oiling/greasing only helps for a short time. A guy at a reel repair shop told me to simply dunk the reel in the water at the beginning of each use - It works like a charm.

rkoepke
09-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Yup--screaming reel means oil the non-handle side gears.

Yup--water dunk works well too.

fishstalker
09-03-2009, 07:34 PM
My three year old Luna's were screeching on the cast. Sent it to Daiwa, and a month and $50 later they returned clean, oiled, and still screeching. My buddy pulled them apart and found the spool bearing had popped out of its race. he popped it back in and no problems.

Labs
09-04-2009, 08:02 AM
>
> Also oil, not grease, the roller bearings located just
>inside the handle when and if the anti-reverse begins to
>slip.

Joel,

Do you mean just remove the handle and oil or does the entire reel side, side plate need to come off to oil these bearings?

Thanks for the help,

Labs