PDA

View Full Version : Most effective with Bulldawgs?

r1
08-03-2009, 03:31 PM
What is the most effective way to work a bulldawg? This in some ways is like the question to a suick from a previous post. Long pulls or jerks or short and fast? What is the best way most of you have had luck with these baits?
Thanks.

Rich

momuskyman
08-03-2009, 04:52 PM
I like to work my rod between 10 and 11 oclock with a lift and drop as I'm reeling up line, try not to let that line go too slack cause they'll hit it at the end of the pull and you want to be able to feel that thump so you can crank down and set hard. I probably work it slower than most people i've seen, nice and easy does the trick IMO.

muskymagoo51
08-03-2009, 07:35 PM
does not matter, just keep em wet, although I have had the most luck on downward jerks like a diver jerk bait. If fishing deep weeds I pause longer to get the bait down, but i know guys who catch em jigging, just cranking , trolling, upperward jerks, sideway jerks, just jerkk it and jerk it some more similiar to the way we did going through adolescence.

r1
08-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Sounds good, now when I do throw it I know I will start laughing! I wonder what my wife will say when it happens!!

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

oconesox
08-04-2009, 08:20 AM
I would also agree that there's no wrong way to work a Bulldawg. The one thing you'll have to master is casting them. If you're not careful to tighten up the line at the end of the cast you'll end up with a "Dawg Ball", where the tail gets caught up in the hooks. This might be the least effective presentation, but I'm sure someone on this board has caught a fish on the old "Dawg Ball".

chuckski
08-05-2009, 06:54 AM
Good lures don't throw them as much as i should because my dad and nephew are always fishing this bait I don't believe that everyone should be throwing the same bait at the same time.Great baits i've done well using the Twin Finn as a pitch back lure.

JEM
08-05-2009, 07:47 AM
You mean to tell me that when the tail is fouled it is because of the cast? Nutz! I always thought that there was a big musky that scared the dog and it came back with its tail between its legs! Oh man! There go half my "good" spots!

Nate__
08-05-2009, 08:04 AM
I did manage to catch a small legal on a "dawg ball" pounder a couple weeks ago...