PDA

View Full Version : flourocarbon leaders

bpnash58
08-26-2009, 01:57 AM
I am starting to use flourocarbon leaders but have no idea what pound strength and what length I should buy. Also are these leaders acceptable for jerk baits? I troll and cast.

rpieske
08-26-2009, 06:42 AM
I've been making my own for years. I use 100 lb. test in about 14"-16" length. Most folks seem to think that 130 lb. test is better, but in all my years I have never had a problem with the 100 lb. I fish muskies over 100 days per year. I still have the same leaders on that I started the season with. If you get a slice or a little tag standing out from the leader, it's time to replace it. Abrasion on the leader is not normally a problem.

Semper Fi
Bob Pieske

MikeHulbert
08-26-2009, 08:26 AM
If you want to be safe and sure that you have the right product, you can't go wrong with leaders from Stealth Tackle.

I have been using the 130 pound for a few years and have now switched to the 150 pound flouro leaders.

http://www.stealthtackle.net

Steve Heiting
08-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Hi:

I too have been using the Stealth leaders exclusively this year, in the 130# variety. It is amazing how these leaders hold up, and I've had zero problems. It's a great product, and I believe they help fool more and bigger fish.

Are they acceptable for jerkbaits? Absolutely. The only lure type that I seem to get less movement from with fluoro is walk-the-dog topwaters like Jackpots, Weagles and the like, for which a stiff wire jerkbait leader is a better choice although fluoro will suffice. I just seem to get more glide from this type of bait with a wire leader.

Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

AWH
08-26-2009, 09:00 PM
Another vote for the Stealth leaders. The best fluoro leader on the market, end of story. I've been using the 130# with nothing but positive results. The Stealth leaders are 14" in length, which are fine for any casting application. If there's a length that you're interested in other than the standard lengths that they come in, John is more than happy to work with you on getting you what you want.

Aaron

Taylor
08-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Ditto ditto ditto Only use Stealth 130# great product great snaps also!!

Taylor

Jim L
08-27-2009, 03:19 AM
Anone use the longer (36") stealth leaders for sucker fishing. Was thinking of removing the stringease snap and putting on a split ring and #4 treble and running suckers like a Herbie rig. Suggestions?

MikeHulbert
08-27-2009, 06:19 AM
Jim,

What a great idea!!! LOL

We have done just that...John with Stealth Tackle makes my Hulcano Harness. Check it out. Very easy to use and rig, and very high hook up ratios.

http://www.stealthtackle.net/fishing_products.shtml

MuskyRoller
08-27-2009, 11:43 AM
I use the 3 footer for trolling. Love it. Also been using the 130 and 150 all summer with zero complaints! Great snaps on them too...big and strong.

Steve

JEM
08-28-2009, 08:01 AM
If you use 3-4' 130# flouro leaders for trolling you will be losing significant depth. It might not matter if you are fishing shallow, but for getting lures down in that 15 foot and deeper range you are pretty much screwed. All your running depths/line out data from before is useless. Ran a flouro leader trolling deeper water for parts of 5 days a couple years ago against the steel on the other lines and the flouro had no hits compared to the 13 fish on steel. That was enough for me. No reason to ever use flouro leaders on my trolling rigs again.

MuskyRoller
08-28-2009, 08:11 AM
good insight on trolling the floro leaders...something to consider.

thanks,
steve

Steve Heiting
08-28-2009, 08:16 AM
Hi:

Jim is right on the money with this one. It also makes a difference when casting crankbaits. Fluoro is much wider and creates more water resistance, thus preventing the lure from diving. So ... if depth is desired, it's best to be wired, unless you use some kind of in-line weight.

Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

junkman
08-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Not everybody agrees on the pound test thing, I often like a thinner profile, but I found that the Stealth folks are quite happy to make your leaders any length or pound test that you like. You can also buy the makings and do it yourself which I do sometimes, but I am real happy with Stealth.

GruntLures
08-29-2009, 08:13 AM
130# or 150# Stealth IMO. Leaders are one of the few things I do not make at home for myself.