Thread: Rod Action and Taper

Rod Action and Taper

Any suggestion on rod taper for a Musky rod. This is typically referred to Fast or Moderate fast taper tip. In high end graphite rods an example would be a Heavy Action - "Fast tip" I have the option of getting a Heavy Action with a moderate fast taper tip, Would it be better to stick with a fast taper tip or really doesn't matter in the musky world ..."we're throwing 1/2 to 2 lb baits and setting the hook on 40lb fish"

Moderate taper is a little slower and typically good for spinner baits and crank baits in the bass world where as fast action tips are a little stiffer and more sensitive, cast lighter lures better. I'm figuring when casting or fishing a 1/2lb bait it really don't matter.

thoughts from the musky brain trust?

I prefer fast action rods because figure-8's are so important in musky fishing. A slower taper means more flex in a figure-8, which results in more drag, and you work harder for each 8.

They also cast better because there's more spring in the rod, whereas you may work harder to cast a heavier bait with a moderate action.

Understand that rod actions are not universal. What one company calls "fast" may be "moderate" to another manufacturer, especially since the blanks used by many rod manufacturers are made overseas. It's anybody's guess if their standards/guidelines are consistent.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Perfect info, thanks Steve.