Thread: newbie_line and leader question

newbie_line and leader question

Hello Muskie Hunters. New to the site and to Muskie Fishing. I'm in WA state and we don't have Muskie here but fish and game has introduced a Muskie/Northern Pike hybrid called Tiger Muskie into some of our lakes to control problem species like suckers and they are starting to catch on as an exciting new sport fishery. I've been out once now for these awesome fish and it was quickly apparent my gear was not set up properly for success although I did get 5 or 6 follows one right up to the boat and I'll tell you my heart was beating like a drum it was awesome I'm using an 8 ft heavy wt spinning rod with a Penn Battle II 6000 reel loaded with 65 lb braid and 6 ft of 40 lb mono between the braid and the bite leader. Here is the problem, the rod's top guide has a very small inside diameter and the double uni-knot connecting the braid to the mono does not pass through the guide smoothly when casting. Casts are short and clunky with little control. I thought about coating the knot with clear epoxy for a cleaner, smoother connection but do I really need this section of leader? Can I connect a flourocarbon bite leader directly to the braid? If so how long should it be? I looked at the Stealth leaders and they are 14 inch. Lake Mayfield where I will do most of my fishing is very clear and I typically will be casting to sighted fish. Thank you for any advice.
    Last edited by Bruak; 07-01-2018 at 06:37 PM.

First, welcome to the sport and the website. Musky fishing is a blast and I wish you luck.

You're on the right track in many cases here. The spinning rod can give you a start, but if you get serious with this sport you may wish to consider a baitcaster. They are remarkably easy to master nowadays, so if you take the leap don't be intimidated by them. Each model has a variety of braking systems that can virtually eliminate backlashes.

As long as you're using the spinning rod, you can have the tip top changed out. Many tackle shops will do this. Usually it's only a matter of heating it up, which melts the glue, and replacing with a tip top of larger diameter.

A longer, low-vis leader helps in clearer water. In fact, Stealth makes one combining fluorocarbon with wire for this very reason: http://www.stealthtackle.net/index.p...ategory&path=3

If you choose to simply tie a fluoro leader to your braid, the general rule for leader length is at least as long as your lure. I use Stealth leaders for everything, and the 130-pound test fluoro leader fits the bill for most applications. If you're using smaller lures, Stealth's twitchbait leader is unobtrusive but sturdy: http://www.stealthtackle.net/index.p...product_id=115 If your baits spins, you'll want the leaders with swivels; if using crankbaits and jerkbaits which don't spin, get the leaders without the swivel.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com