Thread: Breaking Down New Waters

Breaking Down New Waters

I'm relatively new to musky fishing and have learned almost all I know (not much) completely on my own, as I don't have have anybody to learn the ropes from. I have caught a couple muskies, but still struggling to have much confidence in what I'm doing when on the water trying to find muskies. I think that my biggest issue is understanding how to break down the lakes that I fish (central MN). I feel like I am wasting a lot of time fishing stuff that is just okay, versus picking out the great looking spots and spending the time it takes to fish those spots thoroughly and then heading to the next spot. Any advice from some of you that have much more experience than I do?

Thanks for any help!

Steve, this would be a good topic for an article in MHM. The title would be "Location, Location, Location."

Although I haven't fished central MN, this should still apply. You can break down a lake into 3 layers of location. The first is seasonal. In the spring, fish are located in shallow, protected spawning bays. In the summer, the fish move out to main lake structure. In the fall, it varies somewhat by lake.

The second layer of location is general lake location. Assuming you are fishing the summer, focus on main lake structure that is "complex". By complex, I mean that it has the most variety and quantity of the following:

- rocks
    - weeds
    - wind/current
    - immediate access to deep water
    - trees
    - baitfish
    - proximity to spring spawning areas (this is my opinion, I haven't heard this from anyone else)

So, if you have a plain rock hump in the middle of the lake, it probably won't hold fish. However, if you have a cluster of islands loaded with rock hazards peppered with weeds with a steep dropoff to the deepest spot in the lake that is being pounded by southwest winds, then you have a good spot.

The third layer of location is the spot-on-the-spot. Fish are usually located on the most upwind part of structure--rock points, weed points, etc... Sometimes, they are in the V-slot, or "around the bend" from structure where wind creates an eddy. Also, don't forget other spots like the little sandy cupped mini-bay, fallen tree on a steep bank, or neckdown/saddle between structures.

Try the spots in a variety of weather. Typically rocks are better on windy/sunny days and weeds are better on cloudy/calm days.

Brian
    dunnot. dut da dunnot...

nice post Brian. You'd be suprised how well that layout works for just about any species.

One of the best ways to learn is to find a muskie species guide who fishes waters similar to what you will be targeting. One day with a good instructor could save you countless hours of trial and error.
    I will say, tho, that trial and error fishing is exciting when it actually does produce results! Nothing as gratifying as trying something new and having it work. m