Thread: Tail Spin Surface Baits Not Spinning

Tail Spin Surface Baits Not Spinning

Any tricks to getting the through wire straightened on a surface bait . I have a few favorites that got beat up. Tail does not spin as needed. It is not the "cup" on the tail rudder.

Without knowing the make and model of the topwater, I can only speculate on the fix. If it's definitely the shaft and you cannot bend it back into place so that it works, with some models cutting the wire and replacing the shaft with bucktail wire can work.

Some all-wood models swell around the shaft, which can slow or stop the spin. In that case, you'll need to hang the bait until completely dry, and then try to soak the hole in the tail with some kind of sealant or oil to keep the water out. I know of no good way to do this, but you may get the bait back in action for a little while longer.

And, sometimes, if the lure has shrink tubing on the back hook and you're not careful with the replacement, it may impede the tail's spin.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

One is a fat bastard. The other is very similar. I forgot name. Nobody makes them anymore. Rides real low in the water.
    The through wire is molded in on the front half. If I cut the wire added split ring and replace back half their would be a pretty big gap between the two parts......