Thread: Homemade Buck-tail Question

Homemade Buck-tail Question

Reason why tinsel appears to float above hooks ? I am concerned back hook being exposed and below tinsel will reduce strikes.

You really think the fish know its a hook?
    They eat a lure going in circles boatside with a rod a foot down in the water.
    No worries.

What about the nippers in the figure 8's? They will miss the hook. I used a 8/0 hook with shrink tube. The blade used is one piece similar to the revolution.

I believe they think the back of the tinsel/flashabou/marabou/deer hair is the backside of whatever they think they're eating, and probably don't see the hook. If they do, they don't know what a hook is, anyway.

The tinsel/flashabou getting sucked into the vortex behind the blades results in a lot of movement of the tail, and this helps in getting strikes.

I've intentionally shortened the tail of some spinners to expose more of the hook for better hook-ups with short-strikers, and there are times when tinsel/flashabou baits that have been chewed and have less of a tail are more effective.

In short, don't worry about it.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

So you're thinking is-.... if they nip in front of the hook, (up more towards the blade) at the tinsel that is sucked up towards the blade?
    I would say if your bait is long, you may want another hook up front like a lot of big bucktails have. my rule is over 6 inches I like another hook behind the blade. I do get a lot of fig. 8 fish on the front hook. If your bucktail is not long- it shouldn't matter.
    Last edited by rudedog; 05-12-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boda View Post
    Reason why tinsel appears to float above hooks ? I am concerned back hook being exposed and below tinsel will reduce strikes.
    I've talked to folks who liked their Harasser bucktails without bucktail, as they ran deeper, which they felt caught more fish.

I've seen some muskies do some pretty strange things:

*Bite the twister tail off a trailer hook on a spinnerbait

*Bite and hold onto the blade of a spinnerbait

*Bite a Suick in front of the forward hook, taking a substantial chunk out of the head

*I've seen perch attack the BB swivel at the front of my leader.

Hopefully they'll grab your hook while attacking the tinsel from below.

The way i see it, the bucktail with the skirt material pulled away by the blades or rear weight looks like a fleeing bait fish that was just pantsed by his bully school mates. Predators go after the weak, a perfect presentation, thoughts?