Thread: Trying To Understand

Trying To Understand

Hello my vac. 2017 was a bust. I`ve been to this lake many times I know where theres fish.The lake primary weed is coontail most of it is shallow (under 10 feet) water temp 78 F. mid Sept. weather stayed the same for week and a half next to no wind sun & hot. I know I was around muskies but they would`nt move. Tried different things & retrieves &even at sundown not even a follow. I caught a few walleye & bass using a spinning rod Mepps musky killer & bass oreno. Was the water temp. too warm stressing the musky out or does lack of weather change put them to sleep? Thanks.

Dude, I fished three years with 21 different people before my first muskie got trolled up for me. Don't give up. I'm one away from a hundred 'legals' now, after nearly 15 years.

78* will put them deeper, in consistently shallow lakes try to find deepest water. Not much of this is easy, unless you're a born muskie-magnet like Heiting or Saric. Don't give up. m

Every week and every year are different, so don't read too much into a "bust trip." (Yes, sadly, some of us have seen trips like that so much we have a term for it.)

You didn't say where you were fishing, but on the waters I fish, mid September typically means the fish are in the shallowest and thickest of the green weeds, or up in shallow rocks if the wind is blowing. It's one of my favorite times of the year. However, the fish don't have a calendar, so the factors that are really influencing their behavior are water temperature and location of baitfish. With a 78-degree surface temp, and the weather you described, my guess is the fish probably were still in a summer pattern, which typically includes short windows (that can be easy to miss) and/or a night bite.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Heiting View Post
    ..the fish don't have a calendar, so the factors that are really influencing their behavior are water temperature and location of baitfish.
    I didn't know that. I'll be keeping this in mind.

I was in N. Wi. 9/8 to 9/22... the water temps were in the low 60’s on arrival rising to the upper 70’s by 9/20. The weather was generally sunny, hot, and windy throughout, and everything just seemed to shutdown. That’s happened several times over the years, with the same outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by miket55 View Post
    I was in N. Wi. 9/8 to 9/22... the water temps were in the low 60’s on arrival rising to the upper 70’s by 9/20. The weather was generally sunny, hot, and windy throughout, and everything just seemed to shutdown. That’s happened several times over the years, with the same outcome.
    Rising temps when they should be falling is seldom good. I'm not sure why, it just is.

I was on a favorite Canada lake that typically has a good pre-turnover "bite" during that time frame. We encountered mostly smaller fish (at least smaller for this lake) with short feeding windows. And once the weather started to change they went from wanting big bucktails to jerkbaits almost instantly.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com