Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange Musky Coloration

Strange Musky Coloration

Hi Gang, New to this forum but not to Musky fishing I was fishing last night on Lake Minnetonka and pulled up this fish that seems to me to be 1/2 spotted and 1/2 golden. It has a hump too! I've seen the hump on a few before and even patches of unique coloration...but never 1/2 of the entire fish - and so evenly divided. Any thoughts or education you could provide me would be great. Thanks in advance!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	musky color.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	2076

Seen that before on pictures only, I'll say defect.
    If I could ask, please don't give them the carpet treatment in the future.

Thanks

Yes, you're right about the carpet treatment and I have never done that in the past. But when I saw the uniqueness of this fish I felt I needed to get the picture (I was alone). He swam away happy, but yes, not a good thing to do.

Pretty rare fish. I've never seen one in person like that, only in photos.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Half golden? Never heard of a golden muskie unless it was caught during a PMTT tournament and given the team a 1st place win. So where are "golden muskies" found? I know there are some gophers in Minnesota that are golden, but not at football. basketball. etc.

Thank you for posting your report and picture of your muskie. It has a very unique coloration and it is rare for any species of fish to be half one pattern and half another pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by MuskyDavid View Post
    Yes, you're right about the carpet treatment and I have never done that in the past. But when I saw the uniqueness of this fish I felt I needed to get the picture (I was alone). He swam away happy, but yes, not a good thing to do.
    Understand
    I keep one large garbage bag in the boat, you can always dip it in the water, then lay your fish on it if you need to bring her in to the boat. That way she will keep her slime for protection, and your carpet will stay clean

Thank you Lifeisfun, Very good idea - I'll put one in stowage for just such an occasion.

Sorry Muskynut, 1/2 "Clear" Musky. My grandpa used to call them "golden" when I fished with him as a boy and it kind of stuck. No offence (or ignorance) intended.

You are most welcome travelingfisherman. Fishing for over 40 years and never even see pictures of a fish like this one. Still a bit stunned I guess. I think Musky Hunter should feature it in their next edition!
    Here is another pic.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	musky2.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	2078