Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Musky reel on the market

I fail to see how the line guide not engaging during the cast causes backlashes. I picked up a Revo Toro S last summer and it has the same feature. I love it, it has an easy to use adjustment and the only time I had a problem with backlash was after I lent it to a friend and he did some serious fiddling with the adjustment. Smooth, solid reel.

Let's super simplify what exactly a "backlash" really is. It's when the spool spins faster than the line can leave the reel resulting in a rat's nest in your reel. Any and all reels come with a preventing device for this called a brake. Most of us are quick to disable any sort of braking device because it results in shorter casts. Clearly, those extra ten or fifteen yards of distance means your bait is moving longer through the water, even better water (IMHO) due to it being quieter, and the longer you keep a good bait in good water the better the results. Trollers know this. I believe the Beast reel allows this better than most and that's why the backlash reputation. An educated thumb is the key to falling in love with the Beast and more fishable water.

Quote Originally Posted by cje View Post
    Hi Steve I appreciate your reply, I do not currently have mono followed by braided as i just have braid. I will try adding the mono to see if it helps! I just thought that it was odd that it started behaving like this because i used it for about a week straight but when i picked it up this time it didn't work (i loosen the drag when not using). As for the reel i will take a look at your recommendations! Thanks again!
    Fill your spool about 1/4 of the way with mono, and then tie on the braid and fill up the remainder of the spool. This -- may -- alleviate your reel's problem because the mono won't slip on the spool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Saric View Post
    Check out the new Shimano Tranx 400. I have been using it all season for all musky lure applications. It's durable, smooth and easy to palm. if you have any issues with backlashes, you should pop out all of the breaks on the Tranx or any other musky reel. Then loosen the cast control and you should be able to cast almost backlash free all day.
    The Tranx 400 very quickly has become one of my favorite reels. It's unbelievably smooth and easy to cast. Shimano has a winner here.

Quote Originally Posted by junkman View Post
    Let's super simplify what exactly a "backlash" really is. It's when the spool spins faster than the line can leave the reel resulting in a rat's nest in your reel.
    If ANYBODY is an expert in backlashes, it's Marty!
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Let's say the line guide stopped all the way to the right, and the line that will come off the spool (eventually always) all the way to the left. Don't you see how that may be a problem, unless you go to "educated thumb class 101" to fix it?

Abu (and all the rest of them) did one of the stupidest things they could have IMHO.

I got a Revo Toro S this year and have had NO problems casting it with various lures all summer. For the money, it's the best value. As far as backlash, no better or worse than my Shimanos or other Abus. And I never attended the thumb class.

The lesson appears to be that any attempt to discuss the thumb brings about a reaction from a nearby finger. No good deed...blah, blah.

That's OK, I'm fishing a Redfish/Sea Trout tournament tomorrow. We'll see if my salt water friends show the love!

Check out the new Shimano Tranx 400. I have been using it all season for all musky lure applications. It's durable, smooth and easy to palm. if you have any issues with backlashes, you should pop out all of the breaks on the Tranx or any other musky reel. Then loosen the cast control and you should be able to cast almost backlash free all day.
    Hi Jim,

I was looking into getting the Tranx 400. I want the lower gear ratio but also want the power handle... do you have the high gear ratio reel and if so can it pull double 10's? Thanks Jim!

Hmm, I might check out this recommendation as well. Sounds like a heck of a deal.

After being a 30+ year ABU fan, I fished with both gear ratios of the Tranx 400 this last season. No comparison, the Tranx is one sweet reel, cast a mile, quiet from the beginning of the season till the end, excellent for palming, and less expensive than the Beast. My new no 1.