Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Musky reel on the market

Best Musky reel on the market

Hi Guys,

I have a few Abu Garcia Ambassador reels that i was looking to upgrade. I was liking the reels but now the drag has stopped working and it is a lot of work to reel in double cowgirls. I was wondering if anybody has a fix to the drag issue and what everyone's preference is towards musky reels. I have been doing some reading on reels and looking around in stores and from what i found the Abu Garcia Revo Toro Beast was the best on the market. Any input? Another question i had was what length of rod i should be using for casting.
    Thanks!

It's rare for drags to just quit working. Did you recently put new line on the reels? If so, and you used braided line (or even the old dacron) and didn't use monofilament for backing, or tape the line to the reel, it's common for the line to pull off the spool as if the drag quit. What's actually happening is the line is spinning on the spool (because it's so slick) while the spool isn't actually turning.

If the drags are indeed shot, it's best to send them to somebody who specializes in reel repair to get them fixed right. Sportsman's Repair https://www.sportsmansrepair.com in Mosinee, WI, or Mat's Reel Repair https://www.matsreelrepair.com/home.html in Eagle River, WI, are both excellent.

The Revo Toro Beast is a very good reel but I wouldn't call it the best on the market. Other good reels are Shimano's Tranx, Conquest or Calcutta series, or Daiwa's Luna 300 or Lexa series. For Cowgirls and similar baits, you'll want something with a lower gear ratio of 5:1 or less to ease the retrieve.

Re: rod length, always consider going long. Rods are levers, and the longer they are the easier it is to do something with them. For my preferences, visit http://www.steveheiting.com/tackle-e...commendations/
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Quote Originally Posted by cje View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have a few Abu Garcia Ambassador reels that i was looking to upgrade. I was liking the reels but now the drag has stopped working and it is a lot of work to reel in double cowgirls. I was wondering if anybody has a fix to the drag issue and what everyone's preference is towards musky reels. I have been doing some reading on reels and looking around in stores and from what i found the Abu Garcia Revo Toro Beast was the best on the market. Any input? Another question i had was what length of rod i should be using for casting.
    Thanks!
    DCG's will always require relatively high effort, but definitely less with an appropriate reel. If you want speed, go with a larger reel such as TranX or Lexa 400. Keep in mind you have gearing choices... you can have an easier retrieve with lower ratios, but a faster retrieve with higher ratios. I recently purchased a new Lexa 400 5.1:1 reel with power handle for about $155 on eBay. I consider that a great value for this purpose. You can retrieve DCG's with smaller reels with lower ratios, but remember, max speed will not be attainable.

Regarding rods, I prefer a XH or XXH rod of 9 feet, but anything over 8 feet is much better than anything shorter than 8 feet.

The Abu Revo Beast is a piece of crap! Get ready to pick out backlashes, since the line guide does not engage during the cast. The "engineers" got it wrong at ABU this time and most guides I know will not use them because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazier View Post
    The Abu Revo Beast is a piece of crap! Get ready to pick out backlashes, since the line guide does not engage during the cast. The "engineers" got it wrong at ABU this time and most guides I know will not use them because of this.
    Geez, Fraze, just EXACTLY how do you feel about it?

The Beast received a lot of hype when it first came out. From my experience it's okay, but nowhere near as good as the Revo Toro Winch, which was phased out about the same time. I have a Winch that is in its sixth season, has retrieved countless miles of line, almost never backlashes (when it does it's telling me it needs oil), and has helped me boat lots of big fish. It's so good that when I learned Abu was phasing it out, I bought two more just to have them in reserve.

A reel that's very similar to the Beast is the Revo Toro S, which from my experience is a heck of a reel and costs far less.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I'm convinced there's a bit of a learning curve with the Beast and it's a whole lot more fun to work with than the first day or two will bring you. Maybe it's the use of new line but I did notice a lot of backlash the first few hours. That went away pretty quickly or my thumb just got educated. Anyway, I'd say it's really top of the heap. And I have no affiliation with Abu.

Same here, second season with several Toro Beasts, ZERO problems. Great reels, joy to use.
    Last edited by lifeisfun; 09-19-2017 at 07:54 PM.

Sorry for the venting Steve, but this kind of crap that manufacturers pull without asking the consumer is totally bush league in my mind. I've heard many reasons why the Beast is still OK even if the line guide doesn't engage, but none of them hold water, except for the fact that ABU decided to create a sub-standard product and charge an premium price. Why don't car manufacturers stop putting air conditioning in a car -- shouldn't you be able to roll down your window and drive fast enough to cool yourself off? See how stupid that sounds ABU? Unlike St. Croix who thought about not putting cork on the handle, they were smart and asked the consumer if that was OK, and got a resounding "NO" -- and St. Croix actually listened! I'm doing the same thing by buying up reels that actually work, in hopes it will get me through until someone makes a reel with "air conditioning" again.

Hi Steve I appreciate your reply, I do not currently have mono followed by braided as i just have braid. I will try adding the mono to see if it helps! I just thought that it was odd that it started behaving like this because i used it for about a week straight but when i picked it up this time it didn't work (i loosen the drag when not using). As for the reel i will take a look at your recommendations! Thanks again!

Check out the new Shimano Tranx 400. I have been using it all season for all musky lure applications. It's durable, smooth and easy to palm. if you have any issues with backlashes, you should pop out all of the breaks on the Tranx or any other musky reel. Then loosen the cast control and you should be able to cast almost backlash free all day.