Thread: Left or right hand retreive?

Left or right hand retreive?

I am right handed but I use my left hand to reel a spinning rod. I recently bought a c3 that's right hand retrieve and it just feels weird to me. Any of you other guys just go left hand because of this?

Quite a few of us right handed anglers reel with the left hand. Makes little sense to pass the rod back and forth all day. Back in the 80s when I wanted to get a baitcaster and was watching TV and a dude from Atlanta was on TBS by the name of Orlando Wilson was on and had the crank on the left side of his baitcaster and never switched hands while filshing. This made more sense to me. I too used spinning reels for fishing trout in local streams prior to chasing muskies. I didn't have the selection back then as we do today. Most of the reel brands I purchased were from Abu Garcia like the 6501Cs.

Not only do you not pass the rod back and forth, but your dominate hand is quicker and stronger, and you will also impart better action on your lures with your dominate arm.
    I am always amazed that the muskie freaks buys the best rod/reel, line, leader, and hones razor sharp hooks all to put the odd in his/her favor, but getting better action on your lure, quicker, harder hooksets is not part of the solution.

I had heard that the left crank models make up a small part of reels sales, very few of the left handed anglers I have known or seen use reel with the crank on the right side.

I have been using left hand crank bait-casters since the mid 1980s for the exact reasons mentioned above - I am right handed and it only seemed natural to work the rod with my dominant hand - I taught myself to cast left and reel right when I got my first bait caster in the early 1970s, but was never that comfortable with working the bait and setting the hook with my left hand

rnovak

I use both left and right. I have some arthritis in my hands and by switching off, it is either not a problem or greatly reduced.

I hate sounding old, but when I bought my first baitcaster there was no such thing as a left hand crank. You just bought the right hand crank and lived with it. My first was an Abu 5500C3, and the second was a red Daiwa Millionaire.

I wonder how many reels I've owned and worn out since then? Then again, maybe I don't want to know ...
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I think the major reason for the crank on the right side back in the olden days that Steve so proudly resembles is the machining of left handed threads were very very costly. If they would use the right handed threads on a left side crank, the nut would always try to work itself off without a locking devise.

My first muskie reel was an Abu Garcia 5501C, a black one. My first baitcaster was a Shimano Bantam, a 250 size for chasing bass.