Thread: Revo toro winÁh vs revo toro nacl

Revo toro winÁh vs revo toro nacl

I have an 8'6" H mojo musky rod that I'd like to pair up with a good reel. I would like to get something that can pull 1.5-3+oz crankbaits (deep and shallow running), large and small Bucktails, and reg bulldawgs. I've done some research and was looking at either the Abu Garcia revo toro winch or the revo toro nacl but I'm not sure if this lower gear ratio of the winch is right for what I wanna throw? I initially thought the winch was the way to go but now I'm starting to wonder if the lower gear ratio will give me trouble when trying to throw smaller blades and smaller crank baits? But the price of the winch is a little more around my budget so I'm hoping it's the right one for the job? I don't plan on throwing too many top waters or jerkbaits with this rod. I know there's a ton of threads of people asking for help with rod/reel setups (which ive spent hours reading) but Im getting close to pulling the trigger on buying one and I could really use some advice...please help!

You are throwing baits that do not have a lot of resistance, I'd go with either the NACL HS in the 50 series or the new Revo Toro S. You can pick up either one for $200 and under. Call The Sportsman in Appleton, they are selling the nacl for $185.

Quote Originally Posted by seashark View Post
    I have an 8'6" H mojo musky rod that I'd like to pair up with a good reel. I would like to get something that can pull 1.5-3+oz crankbaits (deep and shallow running), large and small Bucktails, and reg bulldawgs. I've done some research and was looking at either the Abu Garcia revo toro winch or the revo toro nacl but I'm not sure if this lower gear ratio of the winch is right for what I wanna throw? I initially thought the winch was the way to go but now I'm starting to wonder if the lower gear ratio will give me trouble when trying to throw smaller blades and smaller crank baits? But the price of the winch is a little more around my budget so I'm hoping it's the right one for the job? I don't plan on throwing too many top waters or jerkbaits with this rod. I know there's a ton of threads of people asking for help with rod/reel setups (which ive spent hours reading) but Im getting close to pulling the trigger on buying one and I could really use some advice...please help!
    Very different requirements for shallow versus deep crankbaits. The lower gear ratio will be better for the lipped baits of larger size designed to run deep. Similar for bucktails. The larger baits with big blades can pull much harder than the smaller blades.

That said, either will work well with the Winch or other lower gearing, whereas you will have will have limited retrieve speed capability. Go with higher gearing, and you'll find large lipped and bladed baits pull hard.

A medium speed reel (5.1:1 or similar) is another option, noting it's a compromise between speed and power.

I haven't shopped reels for a couple of years now, but then found the Daiwa Lexa 300 series very much comparable to the Revo Toro 50, except they include the advantage of magnetic anti-reverse. I've used 3 Lexa 300's for two years now, fishing about 100 days per year, with no failures. Additionally, see they are available online for less than $160, delivered and without tax. I previously owned Revo Toro 50 and 60 reels, replaced them with Daiwa Lexa 300 and 400 reels, and see no reason to go back.
    Last edited by BLL_BIGFISH; 12-29-2015 at 09:07 PM. Reason: more detail