Thread: Giant Tiger Released By Chicago Angler

Giant Tiger Released By Chicago Angler

Matt Witt and Eugene Choi of Chicago booked Hazelhurst, Wisconsin, musky guide Jeff Van Remortel for a day of fishing August 2, but had no idea of what they were about to accomplish.

Fishing a deep breakline adjacent to deep weeds on a Vilas County lake in the afternoon, Witt felt a musky nip his Tube Steak spinner before it followed to the boat. “I logged the fish’s location in my GPS and asked Matt how big he thought it was, since I did not get a good look at it,” said Van Remortel. “He paused for a moment, as if he was a little unsure of what he just saw, and said, ‘Looked pretty big ... I would say mid 40s at least ... she was right on the bait! She was really thick across the back ... I can't believe how thick it was across the back’.”

The anglers returned to the fish at about 2:20 p.m. when Van Remortel noticed a slight weather change — heavier clouds were moving in, plus an east/northeast breeze had started. After about 20 casts, Witt hooked and quickly boated an incredible bumpboard/girth tape-measured 52x23 tiger musky on a Thruman Tail bucktail. The fish hit exactly nine yards from the waypoint where Witt originally raised the fish, Van Remortel noted.

“The fight was brief, following a vicious strike,” Van Remortel said. “The whole ordeal from hookset to net job was about 11 seconds and she came off as she began a powerful headshake moments after she was in the net. She was hooked and in the bag before she, or any of us for that matter, could fully process what had just happened.”

The musky released strongly. It was Witt’s first hybrid, and topped his previous best musky by nine inches. He lost another large fish that day, and Choi caught his first musky.

The big hybrid was the largest musky caught by a client fishing with Van Remortel. Both Witt and Van Remortel will have replicas made of the fish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BigTiger.jpg 
Views:	644 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	1322  
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Congrats to Jeff and the anglers. A beast of a fish no doubt. A great example of everything going right for the anglers and a strong release to boot. Having an opportunity at a fish like that is what fuels us all. Impressive.....