Thread: Musky fly fishing

Musky fly fishing

After chasing these fish for close to 30 years, I know how challenging they are on musky tackle but does anyone here fish for them with the fly rod? I guess I'm just looking for a new challenge in musky fishing. And maybe an excuse to spend more money in musky gear of a different kind! LOL! Thanks.........TC

I have fly fished for them for about 5 years now but not consistently...still use conventional gear for the most part. It can be VERY challenging but just as rewarding! Most of the fly fishing for them I do in Indiana in the colder winter months as it has worked better for me. Robert Tomes wrote a book, Muskie on the Fly, that is a pretty good read for all muskie fly anglers. I also build 9' 10wt. fly rods for muskies.
    Migizi Fishing Rods
    574-551-0214

Todd,

I switched over to the flyrod for good a couple years back. Once I got a feel for the equipment and got the "best" lines for my style of fishing, I've been having an absolute blast. I'm still relatively new to Musky fishing (going into 5th yr) and don't catch a ton, but the flyrod has been very good to me. My biggest hurdle was adjusting to the hookset required using flies. Once you get that down, hang on and enjoy the battle.

I also agree completely with post above, the Musky on the FLy book is fantastic. I'm starting to find more sites that are specific for Musky on the fly nowadays too. I'd be happy to try and help if you have any questions.

Jay
    Last edited by cprasap; 01-09-2014 at 08:03 AM.

TC ---- check out www.wetieit.com ,,, it a fly shop in Boulder Junction, Wisconsin ,,,, they do muskies ---- jim

that a great site Jim. When I was first getting started, Bill Sherer was nice enough to spend some time on a phone call with me helping me get some things figured out. A tremendous help.

Jay

FYI ----- One way to use a fly to catch fish is to use a spinning or casting rod & reel with a "casting bubble" attached to the end of your line with a leader attached to (thru) the "casting bubble" and the fly tied to the end of the leader ---- google up "casting bubble fly fishing" for more info ------ jim
    ---- www.bestfishingsecrets.com ----
    Last edited by jimjimjim; 01-09-2014 at 05:17 PM.