Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Give us somthing good to read.

RE: Give us somthing good to read.

I've got a lot to be grateful for this year. We were able to buy a home in St. Germain and fulfill my dreams of having a place to hunt and fish year round in God's country. My 9 year old son's 1st musky and his story that I entered in the Vilas Musky marathon made me one of the proudest fathers around. A close second was getting my nephew hooked on musky fishing and watching him catch his 1st musky. Lastly, spending a blustery day on the water with Ken Jackson and watching my teaching mentor catch his 1st musky, a dandy 45 1/2 incher on a lake known for numbers capped an eventful year.

All the fame, his own magazine, TV show, youthful good looks, and now he's got two 50's in the boat at the same time...and with the camera running.....Now, I'm asking you.....is there a limit to the size spoonful of blessing that one fellow can get????

Wow Jim one fifty then another. Madness just madness!!

Great stuff fellas! I love it.

rnovak, awesome story!

Jim, were you born with the horseshoe in your arse, or put there later?

Best was donating to the Tomahawk Water Rescue the generous donations from the Musky Nutz outing from July and the new friends I got to meet and share some skullpopper with. 2ns was catching for the 1st time what I believe was the same 45" 3 weeks apart. Both times I was by myself so have no definitive pictures as proof. 95% sure due to her being a fatty and very close to the 1st location where she was caught.

Marty
    Two 50 year old fisherman does not count as two 50's. Or wait maybe it does.

Ok, so here is my real story: I fished Pewaukee Lake once or twice a week all year long from the opener through last Sunday and, naturally, wanted to be one of the two or three guys per season to boat a true 50 there. Well, early in October, I finally saw my prey, huge, beautifully marked, easily over 50 and sooooo darn smart. I also saw two young anglers that never moved more than 40 feet away from where that fish was right along with me. They had seen it too, and had the same fever (more) to catch it. No way was that fish falling for an artificial and no way was it going to eat my quick-strike harness either. The sucker was having an absolute heart attack; I saw the fish circle and circle but not eat, then swim away. I would have thought I was having a heart attack too, except that I had one once and knew this was much worse. I was alone in the boat, a perfect time to have a stupid idea and act on it. I rifled through all my stuff and came up with the idea that I needed to downsize my presentation severely. I somehow found a fluorocarbon leader that was made of 20 lb. test and had snaps to match its size. I used that leader to run from my main leader to a treble attached to the snap, thinking that the monster might not see the 20 lb. floro running along the body of the sucker. Well, the fish took the sucker and started to run like she was Sarah Palin heading toward Pennsylvania Avenue. I knew the hooks had just been sharpened but delivered my trademark hook set, the one where I say if you ever see your sucker or the rubber band again—it wasn’t a hook set…..I felt the heartwarming feel of the weight that says the hooks are where they belong, and at almost the very same instant, quickly felt the agony of defeat. I still have the broken snap on my desk at work and stare at it every single day. The two youngsters stayed on that fish all day long for three days straight and measured it at 53 inches when they finally caught it. The folks at Smokey’s Musky Shop told me they were good anglers, good kids and could be trusted for the measurement as well as a good release. As for me, it was probably my best summer by far on that lake but no 50 for Marty this year, there or anywhere else—and only a stupid choice of poor terminal tackle to blame. Like the old fisherman said, you’re only as good as the weakest part!

Marty, nice story. I am very fortunate and blessed; and thank God for that every day. Rick regarding the horeshoe, I've had it since birth and do everything I can to keep it firmly implanted! LOL

That's a cool story marty. It's nice to read about someone who fishes because they enjoy the experience almost more than the actually catching of the fish. I bet it fun spending the day in the boat with you.

I had a pretty good year this year. 47 fish hit the bottom of the net for me this year. With 48 being the biggest. 4 people caught their personal best in my boat this year. Including my uncle with a 44.5" fatty. That was a cool fish because my uncle was the one who got me started in musky fishing when I was 11 years old. I really, really wanted to get him a nice fish this fall, because we don't hardly ever get to fish together or even in the same boat anymore. I finally got my brother his first legal in july and then he had a 3 fish weekend with a nice 40.5" that he lost on a sucker and then he kept jigging it until the fish hit it a second time. It was a good year. Looking forward to the shows this winter and getting ready for next year.

My mom was complaining about not catching a single fish all year so I talked her into trolling for muskies with me. We got out and she gets a 30" on a spinnerbait.

Fast forward to the next morning, I wake up and it's nice out so I talk her into going out again. After a little while the line clicker goes and I grab the rod (my turn) and fight the fish in. It's a pretty nice one and my mom is kind of freaking out "is that a 5o incher?!?!" and totally blows the net job and the fish turns around and peels off a ton of line.

Finally we get it into the net, unhook it and throw the lure in the boat out of the way, do the whole CPR deal (it was a nice 45"). The line from the rod had tangled around the transducer so I figured the best thing to do is just chuck the lure overboard so it will fall straight down and untangle. As I'm reeling it up I notice my key chain hanging from the rear hook! We would have been in a pretty bad situation had those keys not stayed on that single hook.