Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Give us somthing good to read.

Give us somthing good to read.

Let the winternet begin.

I'm sitting home watching the snow fly today, thinking about this past season. It was a good season for me. I didn't catch alot but I got a couple quality fish. Nothing real big though.

So what was your finest catch of the season? Maybe not the biggest you got but any nice fish that has a good story to it.

One of my finest moments was back in August when 3 fish were raised earlier in the day and we went back to the same spot at dusk to see if they would eat. My 2 partners baits went through the area first and my topper was the last bait through. Halfway in it got CRUSHED by a fiesty 41" that took me for a ride. I love it when you go back later for a fish like you're supposed to do and it works! An hour and a half later my buddy hooked a 40" at boatside. My other buddy went to scoop it up and the net broke at the yolk! He let out a "YELP!" as the hoop splashed down in the water, and he was standing there dumbfounded just holding a useless handle. I quickly reached down in the water and grabbed the hoop. and luckily the fish just swam out of it with no problem. I said "bring im' back here" and I scooped him up with just the hoop. Hi fives and beers were exchanged after that to celebrate a wonderful evening.

I already miss those late evenings fishing with just a t-shirt and a handfull of good baits. I say to myself," be patient it will come again."

Anyone else?

RE: Give us somthing good to read.

...or post photos of hot chicks in bikinis? :)

The most fun I had boating one this summer was while jigging for walleye. Now THAT is a gas.

Hi:

I got one of those "gimmes" this summer that someone else always seems to get but never happens to me.

Fishing along a shoreline on LOTW, I caught and released a 4-footer about 9:30 in the evening. We were working toward a point where I'd gotten a glimpse of a musky I said might have been 50" but was probably closer to 48. The fish I C&R'd was not the same fish as it was too far away from the point, so we're on edge hoping for two good fish to round out the night.

Darkness is falling fast and I cast to the point but hung up on a very shallow rock. I kept the boat moving, jigging my rod tip the whole time, but told my partner to keep casting because I didn't want to "blow" the spot.

Some distance from the point and with a lot of line out I rounded the rock structure with the trolling motor and suddenly my Musky Marabou came free. I cranked like crazy to pick up the extra line and keep the bait from hanging up again when the rod was almost yanked from my hands. That's right, another 4-footer, the second one in 15 minutes and one I never expected to catch after snagging the rock.

Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

My most challenging fish was a nice (40 inch plus) nothern pike, which hit a 1/16 oz Beetle Spin in late May in Vilas county. I was using a ML 8 1/2 foot spinning rod and reel combo which has very good backbone for larger fish. I was using 10 lb Fireline with an 8 pound flouro leader.

I had the fish up to the boat 3 times, and the final time had the net out, spooking the fish when I tried to scoop it in. The fish made a strong run of about 30 yards, then I decided that as I had been playing it for a few minutes that it must be lip hooked, as it hadn't eaten through my leader.

I turned the fish and had it coming to the boat when my line went limp. Checking the leader it had been bitten through at the bait. I should have maintained lighter pressure and played it a few more minutes. Fun lesson learned.

I take my boys, 8 and 11, trolling. They have caught their fair share of fish in the past but I tell them if they get a rip, they are on their own. We troll for about 4 hours without a rip. The boys are getting bored so I told them we would troll back to the launch. About 15 feet from the launch the clicker goes. It is my younger sons turn and he picks up the rod out of a salty, which isn't always easy. My older boy tightens the drag and picks up the net, only to find it tangled. There are quite a few fisherman on the dock watching this go on, and they were watching Dad do absolutely nothing in the back of the boat. The older son untangles the net just as the musky was making his first pass at the boat and scoops him up like a champ. They did it all on their own to applause from the pier.

Dad finally jumps in to unhook the green 44 incher. Younger son doesn't want to gill him, and I don't have time to change his mind, so the older guys takes a picture of me holding the fish with my younger son next to me. I bend down to release the fish and she thrashes violently, shredding my thumb in 4 perfectly straight lines. I had a towel wrapped around the thumb as I drove to get stitches with a sh^^ eating grin on my face.

Did I read Repete right? Did he boat a chick in a bikini while jigging for walleyes? If so, that's so much better than all my stories that I am not going to tell one. Also, do you use a scale or a tape measure for this particular species? I think it depends on how far "up North" that you live???

June 27 - my personal best. Fishing the Flambeau Chain by myself. Hit a 52, 51 1/2 (fork tail) incher on a bucktail. Fought like heck, made some real nice runs, finally got her into the net, popped the hook out, placed her on the bump board saw she was north of 50 and slipped her back into the warter. Unfortunately, after 15-20 mins. she just wouldn't swim away. But i wrote about this earlier this year. Took her to Lax's in Conover.

More memorable than that was on November 1 of this year i guided my friend's son to his personal best, a real nice fat 47 incher that i'm guessing topped 30 lbs, she was a pig! got a great picture or two including a father/son photo and slipped her into the water and watched her swim away. The smile on their faces said it all.

Not many in the way of numbers in my boat this season, but two that topped 30 lbs. I'll take quaality over quantity any day.

i was kidding people saying after the 52, i could go fishless the rest of the seaon and it would still be a good year. Little did i know at the time how close to truthful that comment would be.

rnovak

>Did I read Repete right? Did he boat a chick in a bikini
    >while jigging for walleyes? If so, that's so much better than
    >all my stories that I am not going to tell one. Also, do you
    >use a scale or a tape measure for this particular species? I
    >think it depends on how far "up North" that you
    >live???

:):) Yep...and I gave CPR of a different sort.

I forgot to mention what made my friends sons 47 so special was it was a total CF. First as his dad was reeling in a walleye jig and minnow it got wrapped around his sons sucker line with about 18 ft of line out. my boat was getting blown into a rocky shore and my bow mount trolling motor was dead. i told them to start clearing lines as i was starting up ther big motor to back us out when his sucker got hit, he set the quick strike rig and the fish was on, walleye jig still wrapped. gave his dad some scissors to cut the walleye line hoping the jig would drop, nope, wrapped good. so he's got this fish on and he can only reel up so far because of the jig. the fish makes a run from the back of the boat towards the bow and my friends son follows it. we are both standing up front and i asked his dad to clear some room, move some rods as i grabbed the net. well another walleye rod's reel handle got stuck in the net and as i slipped it into the water the rod went with it. i used the net to catch the rod and we got that back in the boat. we still had to deal with landing the fish that we couldn't reel up. so i told the kid to keep pressure on the fish but slide the line towards me so i could hand line it in, like ice fishing, told him to keep the rod incase it made another run. Well i hand over handed this fish the last 15 ft into the net. so after everything that could go wrong we had a great outcome. This fish goes under the group of fish that just wanted to get caught, because despite ourselves we landed it

rnovak

While filming an episode of The Musky Hunter this summer a fifty incher came screaming in a boatside. I made the first turn with the Cowgirl and the fish crushed it. I start screaming, and my boat partner Tom is looking at me reeling his lure in as fast as possible to get the net. We both hear an explosion as a giant musky hits his Cowgirl. He almost loses his rod in the process, but manages to keep his fish hooked. After a lot of pandemonium my other friend Mike nets both muskies a 50 and a 53 incher.

A double header casting with 50 inchers! That's something I have never done before and probably will never again....man did it make for some awesome TV. Can't wait for everyone to see the episode on January 16th!