Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Are there any true musky experts?

RE: Are there any true musky experts?

Policy here is that when the topic goes south to just lock down the thread. However, since a great discussion was going on, I broke policy and deleted posts that did take personal shots as well as those that were in response to them.

Good topic and discussion. Let's keep it above the table.

Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

>Policy here is that when the topic goes south to just lock
    >down the thread. However, since a great discussion was going
    >on, I broke policy and deleted posts that did take personal
    >shots as well as those that were in response to them.
    >
    >Good topic and discussion. Let's keep it above the table.
    >
    >Steve Heiting
    >
    >www.steveheiting.com

does that mean the first one too or is there a special cronie-coupon that allows the first post to bash??

The short answer

Are there any experts?

YES.

Who are they?

Without naming names, they are those who can go out there on any body of water, under any conditions, and have the knowledge and experience to know what to do, where, and how, to have the greatest chance of success.

It's not about numbers of fish caught, or sizes of fish caught, because those are variables that largely depend on the waters they fish.

It's about the ability to understand structure, when the fish are likely to use it, where the fish are likely to be at any given time based on weather, wind, water temperatures, time of year, etc. And then to be able to put the boat in the right place and throw the right lure in front of those fosh, and work that lure in a way that makes the fish want to eat it.

And? It's about knowing what to do next when that doesn't work.

Many of us are good at some of those things. Some of us are good at a lot of those things. But the true experts? They know what to do next, because they've encountered the same conditions enough times where responding to them becomes automatic. Some call it "instinct", but I like to look at it more as "so much experience that the thought processes become automatic"

And that's something that I feel few of us will ever achieve, because we have jobs and wives and kids and houses and a life that is not muskie fishing, and we will never be able to spend the amount of time on the water that it takes to become a true expert.

The Van Dam reference holds merit. It's not because he's necessarily any more inclined, or any smarter, or anything else other than the fact that catching bass is his job.

Take your collective musky knowledge and experience. Then think about how accomplished you are at your job, whatever that may be. If you want to be an expert at muskie fishing, you're going to have to dedicate the same amount of time and effort and focus to your fishing.

I know a few experts as I've said before. Been lucky to fish with them and learn some of what they know. But to match their abilities? I will not live long enough, or fish enough days, and I've been fishing since 1974.

Are there any true musky experts? YES! A bunch of them!

A good analogy for this is medicine, is there “ONE” medical expert.

My local family practitioner is an expert on general medicine, but if I need specialty treatment I find a better expert in that specific field.

If I have cancer I find the best Oncologist.
    If I have heart problems I find the best Cardiologist.
    If I have lung problems I find the best Pulmonologist.

If my insurance allows it I find the best doctor in the field I need and go to him or her wherever they may be. If insurance doesn’t allow it I find the best doctor I can in my area.

If LOTW is my heart and Madison is my colon. Do I want Bill Sandy taking care of my colon cancer, or do I find Jeff Hansen. ;-)

Expert is all relative to what you want, need and can afford.

Who is the best of the best, we could argue all day.

Nail A Pig!

Mike

Sled writes crying to Heiting:

>does that mean the first one too or is there a special cronie->coupon that allows the first post to bash??

>ambassador of kwan .. deliverer of logic .. mirror to the obvious

HA>>HA>>HA.....Jon "sled" you kill me.

First off Jon it's "also", not "too"...and what part of that first post slammed anyone in particular? Was it when I mentioned that you may take the opportunity to make the post about me, which DAH, you're doing! Very prophetic of me wouldn't you say? I've also noticed on other threads now that you need to insert my name and cast aspersion towards me at the same time...only as you can Jon.
    Funny Jon I never knew I was that deep into your kitchen until now. I sense jealousy..but I'm not sure why?

My original post was to put a thought out there that would get others to share what they thought on the subject. The fact that the thread has had 1300+ hits in a day in a half tells me that others either enjoy the read or are intrigued enough to post. That Jon was my objective...hence why the powers to be on this site have allowed it to flesh itself out.

So once again Jon "sled", what up? You don't like me, which has long been established...and chief I'm okay with that. The fact that I find you a little p1$$ ant is okay with me as well. But why rain on everyone elses parade here? If Steve or Jim get complaints...they'll remove or lock the thread, but until then shhhhhhhhhhhh.

John

>HA>>HA>>HA.....Jon "sled" you kill me.
    >
    >
    >First off Jon it's "also", not "too"...and
    >what part of that first post slammed anyone in particular?
    >Was it when I mentioned that you may take the opportunity to
    >make the post about me, which DAH, you're doing! Very
    >prophetic of me wouldn't you say? I've also noticed on other
    >threads now that you need to insert my name and cast aspersion
    >towards me at the same time...only as you can Jon.
    >Funny Jon I never knew I was that deep into your kitchen until
    >now. I sense jealousy..but I'm not sure why?
    >
    >My original post was to put a thought out there that would get
    >others to share what they thought on the subject. The fact
    >that the thread has had 1300+ hits in a day in a half tells me
    >that others either enjoy the read or are intrigued enough to
    >post. That Jon was my objective...hence why the powers to be
    >on this site have allowed it to flesh itself out.
    >
    >So once again Jon "sled", what up? You don't like
    >me, which has long been established...and chief I'm okay with
    >that. The fact that I find you a little p1$$ ant is okay with
    >me as well. But why rain on everyone elses parade here? If
    >Steve or Jim get complaints...they'll remove or lock the
    >thread, but until then shhhhhhhhhhhh.
    >
    >John

caught a 50"er ... it's almost too easy.

"also"??? lol don't study synonyms at the doughnut shop eh?

Great point Mike...but can we maybe use hair cut or back waxed as an analogy, or teeth cleaned and toe nails clipped? Something with less finality?

My original post and who I felt was my expert was just that..."my" expert. I truly get were everyone else is coming from with the names they have added and the reasons for it.

As it may turn out, we as a community may have many to look towards and learn from. That's not bad at all.

John

I think those of us who monitor musky tournament results have learned is that when somebody isn't catching muskies, others are on that day on that particular water environment.

With this as my rebuttal premise, I will respond to the following opinion statement.

"If LOTW is my heart and Madison is my colon. Do I want Bill Sandy taking care of my colon cancer, or do I find Jeff Hansen."

I've hired local guides earlier on in my career. Sometimes it was a good decision, sometimes it wasn't.

Furthering my point from my previous post, is a musky is a musky no matter where it swims?

I've learned that on those waters I know intimately on those days where I struggle, there are others who are successful as I know of these individuals personally. We share information not to rub in salt on wounds, but to help our common causes.

Hiring Bill instead of the local to fish Madison area waters puts both of us in the same boat so to speak. It's a new environment and the approach to dissect it's secrets is something to me that is more beneficial at my current stage of musky fishing. The goal includes figuring it out or in other words, the journey is just as much enjoyed as the destination.

Musky fishing is not medical surgery. Obviously, I am not going to let an "Ear, Nose and Throat" doctor touch a knife if my colon needs surgery.

I do believe an enlightened knowledge and experience of musky fishing trumps all with regards to having to have had fished all musky range choices.

Seems we are stuck on names and not qualities of what somebody accumulates through their career to be judged as an expert beyond reproach.

Mr. Turgeon mentioned innovation and I lump that into knowledge, perhaps it needs to be separated out, but innovation most certainly furthers one's knowledge and leads to widening their experiences.

So, your personal goal has to be considered with regards to furthering you knowledge's or catching a musky. For some, knowledge - that is their priority, for others, perhaps more so those just starting out, catching a musky - that is their priority.

But again, a local versus perhaps a truly recognized expert as Mr. Sandy doesn't always guarantee you will survive the surgery.

;)
    Smile, Youses Are On MH TV!!!!

http://www.frontiernet.net/~ddfenner

For God's sake Mike... get yourself to a hospital. NOW!

>>Policy here is that when the topic goes south to just
    >lock
    >>down the thread. However, since a great discussion was
    >going
    >>on, I broke policy and deleted posts that did take
    >personal
    >>shots as well as those that were in response to them.
    >>
    >>Good topic and discussion. Let's keep it above the table.
    >>
    >>Steve Heiting
    >>
    >>www.steveheiting.com
    >
    >does that mean the first one too or is there a special
    >cronie-coupon that allows the first post to bash??

Jon, I fail to see how John is bashing you. Calling you out, maybe, but not bashing. He's a button-pusher, certainly, but so are you ... and maybe when a button-pusher gets HIS button-pushed we're less likely to get worked up about it.

Admittedly, John is a friend (most times), but he is not afforded any more leeway than anyone else here.

Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com