Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are there any true musky experts?

RE: Are there any true musky experts?

I've fished with a few. Being one of the fortunate, and being able to hire guides at will, I've had the opportunity to fish with 20 or so accomplished guides over the years, some as many as a dozen times.

The names that come up when one thinks of someone who is an "expert"? Not so expert in my opinion. The "experts" as I see them? Well, they're not out promoting their guide business, or their products, or themselves. They will be the first to tell you that there is no such THING as an "expert" when it comes to muskie fisherman, and they certainly don't compare themselves to others, or try to find some sort of ruler to measure their abilities. What they have is something that few of us ever will.

1. A lifetime of chasing these fish, with an amount of time and energy and effort dedicated to finding and figuring out and catching them.

2. A true desire to ALWAYS be learning, ALWAYS be experimenting, ALWAYS be working to become better at catching muskies, for NO OTHER REASON than the sheer fact that they have a passion for these fish

The "experts" I know don't care what anyone else thinks. The "experts" I know have spent their lives in relentless pursuit of their craft, and were muskie fishing before I was born.

I know a few. And I have had the pleasure and the honor of spending many days on the water with them learning whatever they are willing to share. You won't find them here. Thye don't talk about themselves. They don't talk about what they know or what they have done, or how many fish they have caught or how big they were. They may talk about what they have learned on the boat, or after a few drinks at the bar, but it's only because they truly enjoy sharing that knowledge with the people they choose to, because they actually like those people. And one thing that they all share, other than decades of hard core muskie fishing and learning? They have no deaire, and no need to prove anything to anyone.

"Muskie Expert" is an oxymoron, it the same as men trying to understand women - no man can. :D :D :D

Jeff you sealed my argument for my selection...you phrased it better than I ever could.

Thanks!

thanks for ringing my bell mich ... glad you're a fan.

my vote = catching them in all situations, conditions, on many many lakes not of their choice on that particular day and willing to put their talent to the test in competition and consistently winning ... and giving back with videos showing people how they do it.

mark lijewski and clay schroeder and the badfish boys = best of the best in the game (today)

I get the Bill Sandy thing and all and I can't disagree from some of the stories I have heard about the man, but doesn't Steve Herbeck get at least a tip of the cap and honorable mention here?

There are lots of guys who live close to great Musky water and nothing else put on a bucktail and cover water and catch lots of Musky and huge ones too.Many of guys came out with great lures that we all fish with. There are guys who came out with differnt ways to catch Musky thru out the year and we do the same and catch fish.
    Hats off to all these people we know who they are without dropping names. Lastly to all the weekend warriors who have families and nonfishing jobs who hack to a few fish on there family vacations and wish they were the ones who were the experts.

Not to be nit picky Mr. Mich, but again, you keep providing more examples of what criteria which you feel disallows a musky hunter from being viewed as an expert, than detailed specifics which seemed to be rather generalized.

To summarize:

Blondie isn't an expert
    Money bags isn't an expert
    Anybody in Minnesota isn't an expert
    Guides turned lure makers are not an expert
    Frank isn't an expert

Your good at kicking people in their balls yet still have them as friends. Last time I saw Mr. Juhas on Frank's show, he seems somewhat shorter. Sorry, I digress.

A Fine Husband, Father, Business Owner, a Great Musky Fisherman judged musky-whisperer by others is the closest you've come to stating your standards of what constituents someone being an expert within your being.

I've met Mr. Sandy in Blaine, MN a few years back during a Musky Expo, talked to him, shook his hand. He was really nice to have met.

I've seen him on musky T.V. shows, Bucher and such, maybe Frank's but I don't get the chance to watch T.V as much anymore so I don't see everything on the T.V airwaves as I once did.

Not saying the man is or isn't an expert as I don't really know what is the gold standard for judging a musky fisherman as an expert.

Not saying your selection is wrong either; however, I know of several fine husbands, fathers, who are business owners, been fishing muskies for over 40 years, it's their life, are consistent producers, but only on a limited number of waters.

You replied that another's wordsmiths pontificated what you were meaning outside of your writing, yet there are contradictions contained within that to me, at least, dilute my goal of trying to better understand what is the gold standard within musky fishing for being an unquestionable expert.

More specifically:

"1. A lifetime of chasing these fish, with an amount of time and energy and effort dedicated to finding and figuring out and catching them.

2. A true desire to ALWAYS be learning, ALWAYS be experimenting, ALWAYS be working to become better at catching muskies, for NO OTHER REASON than the sheer fact that they have a passion for these fish

The "experts" I know don't care what anyone else thinks."

The contradiction to me, at least is the desire to ALWAYS be learning, yet don't care what anyone else thinks. This implies they only learn by themselves and not from another.

So, while I applaud your sincere attempt of trying to provide a valuable service to Musky Hunter in taking time from your valuable retirement to write what I deem a valued post for insightful and provocative thinking's, while minimizing the ball kickings in the process (yet, I have no disagreement either about the targets intended, as, not like you, some are not my friends), I remain undecided like before as to what are the gold standards for unquestionable judgment of being a musky fishing expert.

Perhaps there isn't a gold standard and that is my answer, but I have still have doubts so I remain interested.

;)

The Good Lord, hands out many talents as He sees fit to those in all of lifes endeavors. If you were to attend one of Saric's seminars, his ability to teach to a crowd is likely unmatched. He could, just as easily, sell soap or cars or stocks and bonds; articulately and smooth as silk. If you went to see Steve Herbeck or Tom Gelb give a seminar, you almost have to be pretty much of a musky guy to understand what is being said. There's an amazing wealth of knowlege there (really amazing) but the package is more difficult to unwrap. So, Jim's ability to communicate doesn't mean he's a better musky man than them, but does guarantee his ability to become more widely known. Some of the other guys too are so adept at selling their own selves that it is hard to separate the hype from the fact. Then there is being at the right place at the right time like Dennis Radloff was last year when he boats a fish exactly at the moment the TV news has him on live TV. It's also pretty obvious that whatever crap people like us write who don't have anything better to be doing doesn't make it factual. The truth likely will hold that there are at least a couple of handfulls of guys who are in the major league that Mich is trying to narrow to perhaps too few.

As an Adjective - having, involving, or displaying special skill or knowledge derived from training or experience

As a Noun - one with the special skill or knowledge representing mastery of a particular subject

Per Webster! ;) Dosn't matter what J MIch or anyone else thinks for that matter.

Travis Kopke

"Let em go, Let em grow"

God I liked the old Fenner and I'm ashamed to say it. Can we have him back? I'll pay for the reverse surgery.