Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are there any true musky experts?

RE: Are there any true musky experts?

If Bill Sandy is calling my for bait's, does that quailify me as expert?

Most are professional internet fisherman to answer your question.

Hmmm...no.

But I'll call you fortunate Ryan..and again this is my view.

John

No John I would consider young Ryan lucky. So now that you went out on the ledge please pontificate us as to why you feel he should be considered an expert over someone who is just fortunate to be able to fish one of the best musky lakes when he sees fit.

Wow, just trying to imagine a post like this on a bass or salmon board.

I think if you're paying to fish with someone or paying to read what they think about fishing or sitting through Popiel Pocket Fisherman commercials to hear what they have to say next then you're looking at an expert.

But there are degrees of expertise...

The best muskie fishermen I know are less cerebral and take more of a KVD power fishing approach. They might not know how to catch every fish on an east wind but they'll find an active one and catch it.

Sure I get the whole "home field advantage" thing when Sandy is mentioned, but if you've fished with him, and I know you haven't "sport", you would understand.

John

I get what you're saying Brian, and yes...this on a bass site?! Damn that would be some fun reading.

So to start off John M, DD (to name the opinionated ones) and a few others here are friends of mine. Banter and swagger are just part of being friends...so keep that in mind.

My take:

The hardest thing is the ability to "do it all".

Can you catch em, can you explain why you did, can you teach someone else how, can you do it trolling, casting, jigging, livebait, on rivers, creeks, impoundments, MN big water, Canadian shield, Scony 200 acre pond or Kentucky backwater ? If you are guiding someone can you take a few hours...tweak a persons game to a higher level and then go find some fish that THEY can catch with the skills that THEY bring to the table? Is a good on camera persona a requirement ? If you are fishing together are you happy to let them run the boat and just fish...because you know the boat control will be perfect?

Being a regional expert is one thing...simply being very good in your area or home water may qualify you for expert status...locally.

The ability to do it all anywhere, anytime and figure it out quickly separates the tiny percentage from the masses. For me I am always trying to learn from someone who may do something...even a tiny segment better than me, I don't think I'll ever be satisfied with "where I am at" no matter what I am doing. Every year I get a little boat time with some really outstanding anglers...some you have heard of...others you will never hear about, that time is invaluable at getting better, sharing ideas and being good at what we love to do.

Standards vary and classifications change according to each individuals experience level and outlook on what an "expert" is.

I have a more than a few friends I would put in the "expert" catagory
    but in the end it's just my classification for them.

But after all that is said that "Hunt for Big Fish" guy is so deep in knowledge it is a bit scary.

BT

Points taken.

Nope can't say I've heard of one. But maybe that is the answer is and of itself. Seems like these so called experts are always needing to profess their expertese. Maybe the true expert is the one who operates behind the sceens and under the radar. No I have never met or fished with Bill Sandy and I do believe he is a master on the Woods. But how would he fair putting him on another body of water?

Sadly Chris I don't know, but I'm guessing pretty damn good. You should have read "Sports" post first.

John