Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin Boat Trailer Licence Requirements

Wisconsin Boat Trailer Licence Requirements

When does a boat trailer need a plate in Wisconsin? Length of boat and trailer or weight? Specifically a 620.
    Thanks
    Chris

RE: Wisconsin Boat Trailer Licence Requirements

Shhhhhhhhhh.......!

I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of any trailer licensing requirements in this state. I see all kinds of trailers, utility, boat, sled, ATV, lawn equipment stuff all with no plates.

That was the Old Man's soapbox for WI to fill a revenue hole. Imagine the bottom line if every trailer in the state had to have plates....... I own four myself.

/mike

Conserve the resource, the future of musky fishing starts today

Thought it was any trailer over 3500 lbs. So most trailers with dual axels. I would think that includes boat trailers?

A while ago they were talking about to make it that all trailer get plates. Many argued that start with enforcing current law first and then it got dropped.

I just bought that boat last fall in Wisconsin, dealer didn't even offer the option not to buy the plates. I had them on the 619 too. I sort of think it may be the second axle that kicks it in. In addition to that, I am often out of state with the boat where even the smaller trailers need to be licensed. Just not worth the risk of being pulled over on the way to the water by a smokey who might also be president of the local PETA chapter.

I am quite sure if it is over 3000#. That is also when you need trailer brakes. All tandem axle trailers need brakes.

Mike

I stand somewhat enlightened...............

This from the WI DOT website:

A title and registration is required for trailers operated over 3,000 pounds. A title and registration is not required for trailers operated at or less than 3,000 pounds gross weight unless used for hire or rental. Title and registration is encouraged for these vehicles that will be used on roads outside the state of Wisconsin, as other states' registration laws may be different.

/mike

Conserve the resource, the future of musky fishing starts today

It was one more user fee installed while WI "did not raise taxes" or something like that. But starting two years ago any trailer in excess of 3,000 pounds -- including boat trailers -- owned by a Wisconsinite needs a license.

Even better yet ... while you KEEP your license plate when you sell a car or truck, the plates of a trailer STAY with the trailer when it's sold. How's that for consistency?!

Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I have been out of state lots of times with no boat trailer lic. plate. How can another state that you don't live in require you to have a plate when your home states doesn't? I have had my boat as far as Tenn. no problems.

The posts about the 3000 pound limit are correct and yes, there are many trailers over the limit currently on the roadways illegally. Truth of the matter is many officers/deputies/troopers are either not familiar with the law or don't care to enforce it. Can you get away with it for a period of time? I'm sure you can, but you operate at your own risk.

Another interesting point. I see many SUVs being operated with truck plates. The owner probably thinks they need it due to hauling heavy boat/snowmobile trailers, etc. The registration only applies to the vehicle itself, not a towed unit.

If your SUV's interior is designed for more than 50% passenger space (as they all are) all you need is normal passenger car plates, which have no weight limit. A "C" truck plate has a 4500 lb weight limit, "B" is 6000 and "A" is 8000.

So, if you're driving a Hummer H2 with a curb weight of 6650 lbs with a "B" truck plate, you are 650 lbs overweight. Add passengers and cargo and you're even more overweight. Problem solved with a passenger car plate, which costs less per year as well. Food for thought when you go to renew your SUV plates.