Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spoons For Musky

Spoons For Musky

Anyone out there in Musky Land using spoons for musky? Daredevils, Doctor Spoons, Cleo's, Silver Minnows etc....? If so which do you use the most? Just wondering!

RE: Spoons For Musky

I just bought a Bucher Slopmaster Spoon and will try it out this season. Iím looking forward to using this bait, particularly in very weedy areas and steep breaks.

http://www.joebucheroutdoors.com/sub...sp?subCatID=13

Yes every year. Johnson silver minnows with a twin white Mr.Twister on the back. They really shine durring cold fronts. Its hard to get clients to throw them. They give you dirty looks when you hand it to them. Great in the slop also. Have had six fish days on them. don't seem to get the big fish on them but lots 32"-42" The hook can be hard to sharpen but its a must to keep it razor sharp
    Have done ok on Daredevils also don't use them much anymore but have caught fish up to 49" on them.
    Jeff Hanson
    madisonmuskyguide.com

It's difficult to think outside the musky bait box sometimes, but spoons are effective and deadly.
    Williams Wabler in silver might work in addition to those mentioned above, or the Williams 6" in Whitefish also.
    I was fortunate to net a 31.25 inch Walleye on a green Crocodile spoon once, they will produce a fish or 2.

My good friend Dave, (Hunter 4) has at least 1 good spoon story, probably more.

I think they have been kind of been forgotten about, similair to jitterbugs, hula poppers and mepps spinners on the bass front. With the recent interest in the "berger rig " I am sure that they are worth a try. Throw a big red and white dardevle in front of a muskie and he might just slam it for old times sake !

I used them with a certain board member once and he must of thought i was jokin when i pulled it out. A couple casts in i had a follow and really didnt use it much after that spot. Just tried to prove not to over look a bait i guess. Iv caught 1-15 fish on LOTW with them though.

I throw Dr. spoons every year and have a blast doing it, even have some fish to show for it, we have had multiple fish days on them. plus they are easy/almost mindless to reel in... a nice break sometimes
    "I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers"

Geno

Jeff I hear the short people really like the Johnson Spoon.

"Anyone out there in Musky Land using spoons for musky? Daredevils, Doctor Spoons, Cleo's, Silver Minnows etc....? If so which do you use the most? Just wondering!"

I've used Johnson Silver Minnows in the larger (1 1/8 oz?) size and caught a few muskies.

I've caught a few smaller fish on Dardeveles, but haven't used them a lot, especially the larger sizes that would probably be best.

Many years ago, probably around 1980, a guy staying at the campground we were at in Vilas county told me had lost a huge fish... he thought a 50 pounder, when it broke out the bag of his net. He was using salmon spoons. He caught a 38 incher the next morning, so the big one wasn't a fluke.

The Bucher spoons seem like a good size... big and heavy enough to cast for muskies.

Story time. I was on Leech Lake about 15 years ago and I had a follow from a giant fish on a Windels Harasser. It followed two more times so, I switched to the Wades Wobbler. Sure enough incoming. This time she stayed under my boat and reappeared a couple times. After she quit the game of hide and seek, I pulled out a Grandma and again she followed. For some reason I decided to put on my giant yellow and red 5 of diamonds spoon and bang she hit. I have to admit that I have only tried that lure a couple times in all these years. Spoons seem to get a bad name in musky fishing, but obviously they are worth a try.