Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Fishing Boot Recommendation?

Ice Fishing Boot Recommendation?

So here is the hard part - I need a size 14 boot. It seems that most of the "highly recommended" boots like Cabela's Trans Alaska boot only come in sizes up to 13.

I am looking for recommendations on a warm, dry size 14 winter boot for ice fishing and snowmobiling.

Thoughts?

RE: Ice Fishing Boot Recommendation?

cabelas inferno's... they have them in size 14's too. warmest boot i've owned. FH50

>So here is the hard part - I need a size 14 boot. It seems
    >that most of the "highly recommended" boots like
    >Cabela's Trans Alaska boot only come in sizes up to 13.
    >
    >I am looking for recommendations on a warm, dry size 14 winter
    >boot for ice fishing and snowmobiling.
    >
    >Thoughts?

Military "Mickey Mouse" (black) or "Bunny" (white) boots. Warm, dry, fairly inexpensive, and come in your size. Don't let the funny name fool you. Lots of people working the research expeditions in Antarctica wear these.

EDIT: Here is a link explaining the boots.
    http://www.mickeymouseboots.com/

http://www.mickeymouseboots.com/prod...ey-mouse-boots

If you want the best boots you need to get Baffins. Those mickey boots are nice and warm but heavy.

If you want the warmest, lightest boots you need to get the Baffin Doug Stoup.

http://www.zappos.com/baffin-doug-stoup-polar-black

Or the Baffin Apex. This is what I have and they are the warmest and lightest boots ever.

http://www.zappos.com/baffin-apex-black-bark

Good luck.

Not sure if they make them anymore but I have a pair of Rocky Extreme's I got like 10 years ago. Big winter boot, toes have always been warm deer hunting and they weigh as much as a regular shoe

First time caller, love the show....:-)

I have big feet and am a huge fan of these. I have a couple different pairs. This style is great beacuse you do not have the straps which make getting on and off a little time consuming with the other models. I have never had my feet get cold with these. They are very adaptable and you can add differnet linings or insoles depending on the temp.

http://shop.mukluks.com/product/15/C.../CAMUKS-X.aspx

Upmuskyhunter

At size 14 you should have lots of options available to you, but they won't be cheap. size 14 is still a very common size. Wasn't when i had it in 1976. Not to rain on your big foot parade but i'll gladdy swap you my 16 EEE for your 14 any old day.

Cabelas Inferno goes to size 14

Sorel pack boots go to size 14 and some larger - i have a 15 i squeeze into rated to 100 below

Sorel Glacers go to a size 16 - have a pair, not the best for taking long walks but keep your feet warm when sitting

for your dress and casual shoes check out ShoesXL.com
    its a good site with some really nice stuff

rnovak

Good ideas on the boots. Out of those mentioned, I'd take the Baffins myself. However, remember that any good boot won't do the job if you wear the wrong socks in them. I work at Gander Mountain and run into numbers of people who complain of cold feet, even though they have some of the best boots available.

The fix is almost always the same. NEVER wear any kind of cotton sock when you're trying to stay warm. Cotton absorbs sweat and keeps it there, making your feet cold. Mountain climbers have a little motto for this: "Cotton Kills"
    The best sock combo is a liner sock like a "coolmax" covered by a quality wool sock like "SmartWool", "Wigwam" or any other good wool sock. You'll be suprised how much of a difference it makes once you switch.

very good point CW

same thing for your hands in cold weather fishing - i like an underliner and leather palm and finger covered simple rag wool gloves for my late season fishing - easy on and off and will keep your hands nice and warm

rnovak

La Crosse Alpha Iceman. I'm on my 4th year on my pair (size 14) and I can't say enough good things about them. Super warm, and all I usually need is a pair of liner socks to with them. You won't be let down!

sc