Thread: Help...Terrova I Pilot problems ????

Help...Terrova I Pilot problems ????

I just bought an 80 lb. Terrova I Pilot and used it for 10 days in the Boulder Junction area, my favorite place in the world. The features that the I Pilot offers are awesome but I experienced a few problems. About 6 times when I selected the anchor feature or the auto pilot the motor would spin about1 1/2 to 2 times and then stop. After spending $1400.00 this scared me quite a bit. I upgraded from a 55lb auto pilot that I had for about 8 years until it broke (my own fault, I didn't have the transducer wire properly fastened and it wrapped around the prop). In the last year of its life whenever I activated the auto pilot feature the motor would just spin in circles making it useless. The other problem I noticed was the battery life. I am a camper and one of the main reasons for getting the 80lb. thrust was to maximize my time on the water without having to recharge the motor batteries. My old 12 volt motor(rigged to two 12 volt batteries) lasted close to 7 days, using it sparingly. The 80 lb. I Pilot only lasted 2 to 3 days using it the same way (only using 1-4 on the power dial). I have 2 Trojan deep cycle batteries that are about 4 years old and cost around $175 a piece. I charge them with an on board charger every time I am done fishing for the day with the exception of when I am camping, two to three weeks a year. I also leave the charger on all winter. Granted the batteries are not new but last summer when I was camping they seemed to work great. So now I have a brand new trolling motor that seems to malfunction and draw a lot of power with the gps constantly running. I called the marine store where I bought it and they said to talk to the local factory authorized repair guy instead of helping me personally with my problem. Does anyone know how much the I pilot draws from the batteries, because even if the motor is not running the gps is always on. Secondly the spinning of motor worries me. And thirdly any info on alternative charging methods; outboard charging all batteries instead of just starting battery or charging boat batteries from truck while trailering. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

RE: Help...Terrova I Pilot problems ????

The Terrova has a better method to draw power, it's drawn with what Minnkota calls a maximizer. Instead of full draw as your old moter, it pulls power in doses. From memory it's like 55 times a minute to extend battery life. I doubt it's the motor.

I would suggest making sure the batteries have water and do a load test.

For the spinning in circles it sounds like the motor was confused? Next time you try the anchor, I would do so after you were moving so the gps is engaged.

Just my thoughts.
    Jason

I second the batteries as the most likely issue. I just got back from a 1 week trip in the same area. I used about 1/2 the charge on the same model. Check the PM I sent you about camping in that area.

I have had the spinning thing a couple of times. I think it gets confused on how to adjust corretly, particularly when there is a wind.

Here's a third vote for a battery check. They're four years old ... the fact they were good last year means nothing in the world of batteries. My ATV's starting battery was good in May when I took the machine out of storage and now won't hold a charge, and this would only have been its third season.

MK's Maximizer is the last thing I would look at. That is one system that MK really has figured out.

Re: the anchor feature, I'm not sure what's up with that. Check with Sportsman's Repair, www.sportsmansrepair.com. If anybody knows what the issue is, it would be Chuck.

Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

You guys were right, I thought my batteries were maintainace free but after closer inspection I realized they were not and they were bone dry (par for the course for me). I also ordered a stealth battery charger that charges all the batteries instead of just the starting battery. Thanks once again for your help. This is a great place to get information from.