Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When did you give up on a spot?

When did you give up on a spot?

I wish location was easier and im sure for some it is!Say you find what you feel is a Musky magnet but for reasons unknown ya just cant buy a follow at what point do you eliminate that spot and move on?Ive trolled 90% of my Musky life but thinking more positive I can do better casting.If a Musky lived out in open water all the time after the spawn then I should be having more then 1 or 2 releases after trolling for 10 hours!I think they like security and spend more time there then they do in open water.Do you feel they have a bedding area a place where they come back to frequently?Have you ever fished what you felt was a magnet but had no results but didnt give up and it happened?Casting is a work your arm off program but one I want to be the best I can be at!Its hard for me to eliminate un productive water when all the key ingredients exist.Its fun to hear a reel scream and catch and release a nice Musky but its gotten old for me!Ive only caught and released 7 Musky casting but can recall every one of those fish.I have caught many trolling but only 2 stand out!If I catch 5 Pigs casting and none trolling this entire year id be a happy camper!What if the prime area your fishing is 1000 acres yet youve never moved a fish when do you give it up and move onto the next 1000acres? O.S

RE: When did you give up on a spot?

Cast a thousand ares? Yeah, right! In a lifetime maybe. Trolling is much more effective than casting in a thousand acre area. Casting is for the spot on the spot. If I fish a 12 hour day I never would expect to cover more than an a couple acres casting. The casting spots may be a mile or more apart but never the less they are small and easily defined.

Muskies are where they are because they want to be there. Doesn't matter if it's open water or tight cover. There is a reason they are there and it is for us to figure out. Casting is about the least most effective way to find fish that I know. If you don't have intimate knowledge of the water casting is most often an exercise in futility. A good fisherman casts and trolls in combination to eliminate unproductive water fast to zero in on where the fish are. All trolling or all casting is about as dumb as it gets. They compliment each other. If you can't do both you are half a fisherman.

All
    >trolling or all casting is about as dumb as it gets. They
    >compliment each other. If you can't do both you are half a
    >fisherman.

Apparently all of us that live in the "no trolling" area of Northern WI are only 1/2 fishermen. God, I thought I was having a bad day before. I really didn't need this.;(

Trolling is for guys that cant cast!Im gonna prove a point that casting produces more Quality fish then trolling fact is ive already had it proven to me and the season is young!Ya didnt answer what I asked ya got arrogant! O.S

I wasn't feeling too badly for someone who only releases 1-2 fish for a long day of trolling. I suspect my average is a lot worse... of course I'm casting.

I cast and troll. I'm not quite sure what you're asking.. but I try to hit a few known spots where I've had action every time I go out. I also try to hit one or two new areas if I have the time for it. I will hit the same spot a few times in an outing (sometimes double back over it) if I think or know that fish are there.

When do I give up? When I haven't had any action (including follows) at the spot for a couple outings. But I will try it again a few times randomly throughout the season just so I can decide if I want to write it off or not.

I've seen spots that have sucked every time I've hit them turn on and have multiple fish on them so it's worth it to keep trying them once in a while if you think they're worth fishing.

Different weather, different wind/current direction, different time of the season or even moon phase are all times when you might want to hit those spots. If you catch fish trolling those areas, they're definately worth casting!

Casting is a different game than trolling all together. Casting is a more finesse, precision excersise and trolling is more a cover water game.

The the biggest difference between the too is pinpointing prime location and working it thoroughly vs. covering water. I cant say I would stand in a flat bottom transition zone cast baits, but I might cast in deep water adjacent to prime structure like a sharp break line, inside/ outside corner of mid lake shoal for suspended fish. One thing you have to remember when working spots; If you can find bait, muskie are present. They will be where the food is, active or not. To raise fish, you might have to change tactics or come back to a spot if you know it is right. There are a lot of factors the play into muskie activity and unfortunately there are a lot of places that will have very distinctive feeding windows. If you are on a prime location, and locate bait... the fish are there. To answer your question about moving on, if i make a pass or two, with no activity, no follow, no bait fish and I know I have worked the area thoroughly, it is time to move.

The day casting produces more big fish than trolling I'll be sharpening my hockey skates for the big game in Hades. Can you say Ottawa River, St. Lawrance River, Green Bay, Lake St. Claire, Lake of the Woods, Lac Seul, Georgian Bay and more? All have put up the biggest fish you can get in the last few years and I do believe that most have been trolling!

I said what I said and I meant it. If you can't do both you are half a fisherman. I didn't mean it as an insult, just the truth. You heard about "Be all you can be"? Well if you can't do both well
    there is room for improvement.

If you can't troll on the water you are on I feel sorry for you. Might as well go out with one arm tied behind your back.

If all you do is troll, I feel sorry for you to because you are missing some of the most fun there is in musky fishing and are bypassing lots of catchable fish.

Musky fishing is hard enough when you can do it all without limiting yourself to half of what you could be doing.

When do you give up on a spot? When you get tired of catching nothing there it will happen without you thinking about it.

A friend of mine caught the exact same musky from the same spot/area 6 times last year.

Here's a question: When establishing a milk run, how many times would you hit a spot with no action(no fish, no follows) before you would eliminate it from your milk run?

>A friend of mine caught the exact same musky from the same
    >spot/area 6 times last year.
    >
    >Here's a question: When establishing a milk run, how many
    >times would you hit a spot with no action(no fish, no follows)
    >before you would eliminate it from your milk run?
    Milk run or run and gun fishing is for prime spots. That optimal time of day when you have seen fish there before. Productive spots are productive spots. If you fish the same water all the time and a certain spot doesn't produce, you are just not to to keep hitting it... i know i wouldn't. At least not until I have exhausted my productive spots anyways.