PDA

View Full Version : Polarized Sunglasses

hagie98
02-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Need to get some new polarized glasses this year. Wanted to get some thoughts on a good pair/brand? I've always used cheapies in the past but am looking to get some nicer ones this year. Last year the pair I had kept fogging up on hot days when my face started to ever so slightly. Looking for a nice quality pair this year. Any thoughts? I've noticed the price for some glasses go as high as $200-300. Not Me!! I'd like to find something under $150.

waldo
02-07-2012, 01:11 PM
I ordered a pair of Musky Hunter H30 Tsunamis back in 2003. Still going strong. Lighter than glass, cheaper than glass, and interchangeable lenses really make a difference on different days.

I've read about guys claiming the real expensive glasses were better. I'm not averse to paying more for a quality product. I ordered a set of Costa Del Mars with the 580 glass three years ago. Took 'em out and tried them on side-by-side with my H30s. No difference at all to me - lures, weeds, fish all looked the same in the water. Sent the Costas back. If I was buying a new pair of glasses today it would be the H30s, no question.

dfkiii
02-07-2012, 03:14 PM
I found a pair of Costa Del Mar (mirror/green) that I absolutely love at the Sunglass Hut for $75 (retail $189). Shop around and you can find deals on them. My only point of reference is an older pair of polarized Revos that I have, and I find the Costas to be superior on the water.

Jim Saric
02-08-2012, 07:42 AM
There are a lot more companies making polarized sunglasses than ever before. Check out Smith, Ocean Waves, Solar Bat, and Oakley to name a few other that haven't been mentioned above.

muskyboy
02-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Costa Del Mar are the best for me if you can find them on sale. Ocean Waves Backwater Green I also like.

Mike Hulbert
02-08-2012, 09:56 AM
I use Solar Bat glasses as they are made right here in Indiana, one at at time....every lens is cut out one at time, every pair is made by ONE guy and their quality and attention to detail is second to none. They have frames and lenses for every application and probably the best warranty available! I use the "Captian" lenses in both Amber green mirror and Mossback gold mirror lenses. These are light weight, comfortable and allow VERY little light in. You can also use the promotional code "HULBERT" in the checkout cart to save an extra 10% of your purchase. These are the frames I would suggest: http://www.solarbat.com/products/captain Let me know if you have any questions!!

TKopke
02-08-2012, 10:24 AM
I always used cheapies in the past as well, and usually went through 2-3 pairs a year as I would always sit on them or lose them. Or the lenses got all scratched up. Then about 10 years ago now I got a pair of Ocean Waves Boston style glasses in Backwater Green. Still use that pair and couldn't be happier! They make a huge difference and I often times can see things in the water that others in my boat don't see.

eyedoctor
02-08-2012, 05:08 PM
When looking for fishing glasses polarization is a must. Other things to consider; 1) Most ambient (extra) light we encounter while fishing is blue. Blue light is very reflective off the surface of water.
2) The base color of the a lens is the color spectrum which that lens allows to pass through. Blue lens passes mostly the blue spectrum. Brown passes mostly the brown spectrum. Grey passes most wavelenghts equally.
3) Muskies are basically brown on the back.

Using these three statements you would want to find a lens which filters out light which is unwanted (blue) and pass light to the eyes which is desired (brown). Varying darkness of brown or amber colored polarized lenses will give you the the best combination of the above.
Colored mirrored surfaces will help reflecting the color of the mirror to some degree, however the base color of the lens is more important. An anti-reflective surface on the back surface of the lens can also enhance the performance of your fishing glasses.

620esox
02-08-2012, 06:41 PM
H3O's for the last few years. love em!

BLL_BIGFISH
02-08-2012, 06:43 PM
"Varying darkness of brown or amber colored polarized lenses will give you the the best combination of the above."

I finally bought a "brown" pair last fall... noting I had always used "grey" before, and have difficulty seeing muskies when others do... though it may also be related to my being about 50% color blind!

REDCHAMP
02-09-2012, 01:40 AM
Been using H3O's for years and love em. 3 sets of lenses and all are polarized.

1morecast
02-09-2012, 11:57 AM
You really need more than one pair or interchangable lense colors. I use grey on sunny days, brown/amber on overcast and yellow at first and last light. The yellow is great as it extends the period where your other glasses become useless at a certain darkness. That is a lot of money, though if you get quality glasses.
I have grey/amber interchangable Solar Bat that I got free with my Lund purchase. I would really look into the H30 with 3 different colors on one frame.

esoxfly
02-11-2012, 09:46 AM
I wear Oakleys. Buying them retail can get expensive, but I get mine from another "source" where I don't pay near retail. But you can find them on ebay and such for much less than retail. I like their light weight where I can wear them all day and get to where I forget I even have them on.

I've got prob six or seven pairs, but I've really narrowed it down to Shallow Blue for sunny days and amber for clouds and low light and I normally just carry those two pair in my boat.

Jim Grasz
02-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Ocean Waves, Backwater Green....

mseager
02-12-2012, 09:33 AM
H3O's in my boat

Kawartha_kid
02-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Ive have the new oakley shallow blue polarized lens ,blocks out blue light there great also have oakley radar with amber lens for cloudy days there light as well