PDA

View Full Version : Musky fishing in WV

damrhein
09-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Anyone have any ideas on where to catch good muskies in West Virginia? I recently moved here and have heard that there is decent musky fishing in the states rivers. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

esoxmaximas
09-22-2006, 07:02 PM
Where about in WV are you? I live in Putnam Co. and fish Elk River Poca River Kanawha River and several streams that feed these rivers.

damrhein
09-28-2006, 07:46 AM
I live in Ona which is in Cabell County between Barboursville and Milton. Believe it or not, I wasn't a musky fisherman until I moved to WV and caught a 42 incher by mistake in a local river. I now specifically target musky and catch them with some regularity. They are my new favorite fish. I would love for you to take me musky fishing sometime in your neck of the woods and I can do the same.

magnumesox
09-28-2006, 05:51 PM
My bother move down there last september to fort ashby and he has been catch hybrid in some lake down there. He loves to musky fish that is what he misses most not being back here in wisconsin. How close is that to you. He is always looking for someone to musky fish with.

wvrivermusky
09-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Hey, good to hear some talk on WV muskie. Im around the Summersville area and fish almost every where at some time or another. My home waters is Gauley, New, Meadow and Kanawha Rivers.
Been tuff for me like always in the summer, just waiting for early spring on stonewall! getting ready to head to new york next week, hope we catch some numbers.

mikie
10-03-2006, 11:18 AM
I'm in SE Ohio and I've been fishing WV for muskies. Got one in the Gauley River, and have fished Middle Island, Little Kanawah, and the Hughes. I really like the North bend park lake near Parkiesburg, too. Want to give it a try? Send me a PM.

You might consider joining our Muskies, Inc. chapter, too, lots of brainpower there and some of the best bait makers in the country belong.

Some WV guys come up to Ohio to Salt fork, Leesville, and Piedmont, too. m

damrhein
12-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Sorry for the long delay in responses but have been really trying to figure out the Mud river. I caught 2 there in September (34" and 35") and haven't had a look since. Any of you guys fished the Mud? I hit it a lot and the only time I have seen other musky fisherman there is in the early spring. It is only a mile or so from my house so it is a nice spot to hit with these short days.

I am looking to join muskies inc.

damrhein
12-15-2006, 07:52 AM
I just joined Muskies Inc. I have been talking with Jim Moore and am very excited about being a member.

mikie
12-21-2006, 12:43 PM
There's a fellow named Monty on http://www.wvangler.com who fishes the Mud River a lot, why not contact him. He's usually looking for company. The state stocks muskies in the little headwaters lake there, too.

If you want to join MI, the West Virginia Chapter is, IMHO, one of the best in the organization. You are welcome to our annual meeting and dinner on Feb. 10 in Vienna.

The Daniel Boone chapter in Morehead, Ky, might be closer to you, they have a new and very active chapter. You can go to www.muskiesinc.org to search for chapter contacts. Welcome and good luck. m

phat boy
01-05-2007, 10:36 AM
No fish in WV ;-)

esoxmaximas
01-06-2007, 05:16 PM
A co-worker use to speak of a older guy who did well in the winter months fishing off the bank right in Milton. Was told he kept many of his fish within his legal limit though. Kanawha Falls is known for being decent in the winter months. That lake in North Bend is a jewel. I have been working out of town and have not fished since late Nov. Caught a 28'er last time out in Kanwha River. Still wnat to email you as I live pretty close to you. Lastly I hear from the Interstate bridge to Milton is prime water for the Mud.

MontyK3
01-14-2007, 03:24 AM
no message.

Susquehannamusky1
11-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Does anyone fish or fished Stevens lake near Beckley ? any reports would be great Thanks !

mikie
11-27-2007, 12:17 PM
I think it's 'Stephens' Lake, but anyway, DNR stocks tiger muskie in this deep, steep clear water lake every year or so. I know folks that have caught them, I've been there half a dozen times and all we saw were big bass. I think the tigers go deep except for certain times of the year, but it's a beautiful lake with good surroundings. m

Susquehannamusky1
11-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Hey thanks for the info. on Stephen's lake. I would like to fish it and see what it has to offer. Thanks again !

mikie
12-03-2007, 07:50 AM
Well, I hope you have better luck there than I did. I can hook you up with a local guide if you have a boat, lemme know. m

Jack Whitmire Jr
03-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Muskys are in most of the rivers in the western part of the state. Mud being one of the best :) But some of them are underated. Give me a call sometime and we'll talk musky, I live 15 minutes from you.

Jack Whitmire Jr
304-757-5377:)

Jack Whitmire Jr
04-06-2008, 08:04 PM
I caught 2 fish the last week of March one was 37 and the other was 36 one on Wednesday and one Friday .

danorman
04-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Moved away from WV 20 years ago but grew up fishing Little Kanawha in the Straight Creek area. Has anyone fished that area recently. Also, caught several musky on 18 and 13 mile creeks, are they still producing?

Jack Whitmire Jr
04-28-2008, 05:05 PM
I just caught a 33" fish in 18 mile creek last Friday :)